Archery Talk Forum banner

What Rangefinder?

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Clay34 
#1 ·
Cabelas has a sale going on for rangefinders. I'm interested in the Nikon Prostaff 5, 7, or the Leupold RX1000i. What are the primary differences between these three (other than cost). What have been your experiences with them?

#2 ·
I just went out today and got the Nikon Aculon Rangefinder....on sale right now at Cabela's for $109. Small and lightweight. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but does the job, and for the right price.

#4 ·
The most important feature of a RF is that it compensates for angle..

Maybe if you're out west with severe uphill/downhill shots. For me, whitetail hunting from a tree stand, 15-20 ft up means 1/2yd to 4 yds MAX correction...the further away the target, the less correction needed

#5 ·
I don't understand the "angle" thing. If you spot a target, put the RF on it, it is a direct line of sight reading. Is it because the arrow won't drop as much on a path of say 45 degrees down or drop more at 45 up ? I guess I don't see a point of impact that much different with a mere 1yd different range. Here in Ohio, its FLAT FLAT FLAT.
I just bought a Simmons for $130 at Gander Mtn. works for me with 3D. I don't hunt.

#6 ·
I downloaded a free app on my phone that reads same as all the high end range finders made today, maybe better, reads feet and inches also, I used a tape measure to see if the app was accurate and it was 3 inches off. not 1 to 3 yards off like most range finders.

#16 ·
I'm consider the 7, but my Googlefu must be off because I am not finding very much information on this unit available. Would love to read the reviews that you referenced. If you want you can pm me if you think that they shouldn't be posted here. Thanks

#14 ·
I got the Nikon archers choice max. Got it for 100 off a buddy that was giving up on hunting but I love the thing. Furthest I got to range is 253 yards and that's all I need for the bow, shotty, and boomstick. I had a bushnell chuck Adams edition and that was garbage... Couldn't take 30 degrees or lower

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.