a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: tips on judging yardage

Question tips on judging yardage

just wondering if you folks have any tips on yardage estimating?

Thumbs up judging yardage

Chris,

I shoot 3-d and archery golf and other types of marked yardage archery events.
    What I have learned and read and practice is this,

1- Look at the target and get and idea how far compare to your last target you shot.

2- Take the distance from the t-off to target find mid point and judge distance to mid point and double it.

3- Most of the time I pick 10 yards and add another 10 yards etc until I reach the target and if it is not 10 yards then I add 7 or 8 depending how far from the last 10 yard mark the target sits.

4- If you are consistently shooting short just add 5 yards to your estimation and go from there.

Good luck
    Hopefully I did not comfuse you.

Learn all the different methods to judge yardage. Then buy a good rangefinder and go out and practice and practice and practice. Also something that helped me a bit was to take a log with me on the 3d range. You'll find consistency in your inconsistency. Find mistakes you are making and learn to correct them. Certain targets will give you fits( the little pig for me). And certain terrains like judging over logs for me or tunnels.

Then when you are getting good, you'll wake up one day and that day, you won't be able to figger how far it is to the ground! It'll happen every now and then. On those days, just have fun and work on form.

Talking

Archery Golfer

Thank You very much For the Info! I will try Your method.

Target Archer,

I Thank You as well for the advise. You've got a great point about some days you can judge distance just fine. Then some days you can't judge a target if your life depended on. I guess thats one of many things that keeps me in this sport.

Thumbs up range finding

Chris,
    A good range finder is also a excellent way to practice I do this often. But most important is using one for hunting.
    I don't leave home without one.
    good luck.

I've never been the greatest at judging yardage, but something I've done that is helping is keeping notes. When I go out to practice judging yardage, I first go through my process of finding the half-way mark and then estimate the range to the half-way, I then double that distance and then walk it backwards to double check. After I come upon an agreeable distance between the two numbers, I shoot it with the rangefinder. I put down the distance I estimated and then the actual distance, along with the terrain features and lighting conditions on the target. After tracking these notes, I can see what my average is and on targets beyond 30 yards I realized I was averaging 3 yards shorter than the distance. With that information, I started estimating targets again and looked really hard for that extra 3 yards of distance that I was usually missing. If I can't find that 3 yards, I go with what I think it is. If I can find the extra 3 yards, I'm usually good to go and can keep it in the 10 ring at a minimum.
    Keeping notes has been the key and I'm showing improvements. Hopefully one of these days I'll be good enough to estimate the distance based of off the apparent size of the target and how it's features appear at each distance. If you use features on the target to estimate it's distance, the lighting on the target really comes into play, so that has to be taken in to account.

I'd be interested to read what other shooters are doing to estimate yargade, as I'm always looking for ways to improve.

I use three different methods on each target:
    1. Estimate based on the size of the animal
    2. Depending on the distance to target I either start at 20 or 30 yards and add or subtract from there
    3. Find a mid point from the target and use method #2 to judge the half way point.

I then compare all of these and make the call. When I practice both at home and at our club I take a range finder and practice shooting as if it were a tournament, one arrow per target. I run thru my shot sequence step by step just as if I were on the line at the Triple Crown. When I have shot, I will then range the target with the range finders to see what I have. This will also help to build confidence in your abilities to judge distance. It is very important to be able to set your sights and have confidence in your judgement. After setting the sight you then have to focus on letting your proper form take you home from there (dont second guess yourself to death).

But even with all the information you can get from this web sight nothing can replace PRACTICE. I always preach that not enough time is generally spent on practicing ranging targets. It has to be a blend of good form and good ranging to be successful in 3D.

My methods deped alot on the terrain. If it is mainly flat. I will use the half way method. Find my halfway point determine its yardage and double it. Then I figure the yardage from the target back to my halfway point. if it is the same I shoot it for that. If I come up with a different number I take the median number. So if looked at the target and judged half way for 19 but when I came from the target back to halfway I came up with 23 I would take the median 21yrds double it and hold center 10. This will work for about every terrain except steep uphill, where it is hard to find a correct halfway point. In this situation I try to go in 10 yrd sections then 5yrds then down to the 1yrd increments. I do open ground the same way.

The Key is to practice and keep a log of your practice. I go out and shoot a round of 3d and do it by myself. I shoot 2 arrows at each target. I write down what I judge it for and shoot the first shot with that yardage. I then use a rangefinder and range it, then shoot it for that yardage. I keep track of all yardages and how I did on them. With this method I have determined I shoot 1yrd hot on about %75 of my shots. Practice is key and not letting those days that you are seemingly in a fog about yardage get in your head constantly.

Chris, put five yard markers from 5 to 45 yards and get to see what they look like from 0 yards. But don't just stand at a stake or in one spot. Get to look at them from different angles. I usually judge in fives, because I feel that there is to much error in just trying to find a 20 mark. Also the doubling method can work great and not so great. If you double something it is possibly going to be right or it could be 2 yards off or possibly more. Once you get the fives down, You will be able to judge by the distance between the five yard marks. Having access to targets helps, because practicing on them goes right to your subconscious. That is why alot of the top archers can walk up to the targets and pretty much have the yardage before looking at the ground. But not everyone has targets to practice on. So the way I explained above. Will be a different way to get your yardage in to your subconscious. There are so many different ways to judge and not one is right or wrong. But you have to find one and stick with it and TRUST it! O yeah don't ever second guess yourself! This one I think everyone is guilty of. 9 times out of 10 your first guess is right or closer than your other guess. JMOP

I used to be pretty good at judging distance, mainly from alot of stump shooting and roving, then I had to get a job and as a result my ranging has suffered over the years, so I finally broke down and bought a rangefinder and it was well worth the money.

Yardage Judging

Thank Fellows for all the information. I have been working on 2 different methods for judging which you guys have mentioned.
    Theses methods seem tobe be working fairly well for me. The proof being that I took 2nd place in open class at a local shoot sunday. I take my range finder with me everywhere and practice.
    It seems tobe paying off alittle bit.

Anyway I am getting better at it. I really appreciate you guys sharing the information. I hope to see you fellows in VA this coming weekend.
    pnydeer I hope i see you and brother jim there. Take care!

I'll be there and so will brother Jimbo! Have a safe trip and I'll see ya there! Tim