Archery Talk Forum banner

So you won the lottery - how does that effect your hunting?

5K views 134 replies 95 participants last post by  thedogfather 
#1 ·
So, with the powerball at $110 mil I'd like to pose these questions so that we all might dream of ******* retirement.

If you won this powerball -

How would it effect your hunting and outdoors lifestyle?

Would you buy land or take trips?

Where would you buy or go?

I'd like to think I would buy a big plot to build on that isn't more than an hour from a major metro and international airport. I have literally no idea where. Any suggestions?

#6 ·
I would look at trying to get 1000 acres here in Iowa. I would like to have a mix of 50/50.

Not as ideal for hunting but if chit hit the fan you would have a decent amount of income coming off the farm. I think it would be awesome to have a place to hunt not only for myself and immediate family but for friends and others.

I would also look at 1000 acres in Missouri. Ground is cheaper and it would give me another option, plus I could make this into a little waterfowl operation.

Then after that I would take 1 to 2 trips per year.

#28 ·
THIS^^. If managed and nobody trespasses to kill the big bucks, Va has the potential to produce some monster deer. I would buy at least 500 acres with a small lake/pond for the off season. Would build on the backside of the property or close to the lake and create multiple plots and maintain a great land to hunt for me, relatives, and very close friends. Id also probably build some small cabins/ camping sites for them to stay at if they travelled far enough that driving home would be counterproductive

#10 ·
I'd buy one of those hunts where someone else locates the target animal, gives me a call, and I fly in for the "hunt".

#11 ·
I'd whatever I wanted to do! Whenever I wanted to! Wherever I wanted to! Honestly, I don't think I could spend that much, but it would be fun trying!

#16 ·
I'd buy what I wanted as far as land and travel and hunt also. I would tithe my 10% to my church and give to charity first. I would move as far away from a city, town or subdivision as I could. And I would build in the middle of 10,000 acres where no liberal a hole would ever come. I personally would like to be close to where I am and just buy prime real estate!

#19 ·
I would make hunting my new job. I would take 1/4 of the money, put it in a high interest savings account. Then I would buy a few thousand acres in IA. (moving there anyways, whether I win or not). I would be scouting, and investing time into the land 365 days a year to grow large deer.

First though, I would take my dad on his dream hunt. A moose hunt.

#20 ·
Lump sum would be around 50 million sooo I think i'd take around 5-10 mil and buy 3-5k acres in oklahoma, preferably on the red river or with live water running through it. I'd take 30 million and invest it. and the remaining money I would use to travel, hunt, and fish the most desirable locations in the world.

#21 ·
Dont play the lottery so no chance for me a smarter investment is not playing but fun topic. Yes if i won by some sort of ex nihilo miracle then everything would change. I would buy up as much property as possible in 2 states one out west and one midwest. I would then take the remainder of the money invest some and live off of the rest. With a little bit of work i should be able to live the rest of my years comfortable just off the interest.

#29 ·
id probably put half in the bank and half into a couple investments. work for 5-10 more years until land cycles back down. then when i felt it was close to the low, i would cash out all my investments, buy 4-5k acres, machinery, and become a farmer that had some amazing hunting ground.

#66 ·
Why farm? your a millionaire. let the farmers lease you land cheap and then have a contract for them to leave certain amount of crop up for your use in return discount land lease rates. you sit back retired, and put in a few kill plots in the woods using small machinery.

#30 ·
I've dreamt: A 1000 acre piece of land in SW Va or NC/Tenn area, mix of hills, creek bottoms, water and open land. A modest home with outbuildings for tractors etc. Lots of crops, food plots, an evergreen plantation, fruit tree grove for the local college extension to work/manage and of course a vineyard for my wife. Intensive land management for wildlife, kind of what i practice now but on a whole new level. Outside of a small yet progressive town for a bit of culture too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.