Archery Talk Forum banner

score tracking, arrow distribution analysis and touch screen input

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  fslack 
#1 ·
pls recommend archery app for ipad, ideally, we can input arrow location on the target on touch screen, so that we can do later analysis/distribution

thx

#3 ·
I agree. The only problem with these types of software is using them outdoors. The sun makes the screen hard to see to place the arrows on the target face. I have tried with my iphone, my ipad and its very hard. Its great indoors, but i have yet to find a solution outdoors at the target face.

Chris

#4 ·
Funny, I was actively searching the forum for Android apps when this thread was created.

I just pulled out various app names from my search results; I haven't tried any yet, or even verified which are Android vs. Apple (or both), but here are the apps that I saw referenced:
240 Archery Timer
ArcherNotepad
Archers Notebook
Archery Companion
Archery Tools
ArcherZUpshot
ArrowNautics
BaleBuddy
Coach's Eye
Scoring Helper
X Count
XringScoring

I also found http://www.nockout.tv/2013/02/theres-an-app-for-that/, which has some of the same listed, but also some others, and a description of what it does list.

If people name others maybe we can come up with a master list (table with info) somewhere.

#9 ·
One of the great things about Archerzupshot is the developers listen to the archers feedback. My wife uses it to track every single arrow she shoots and has many of her ideas implemented by the developers. you can use it to score, plot arrows, plot arrows by arrow number, calculate the center of your group, etc. It allows you to change the size of the arrow dot to skinny x10s to big fat line breakers. Tons of different target options. give the demo a try, its free (no limits) for the first 1000 or so arrows.

#12 ·
take picturese at angles that show the numbers...easy- may have to put big numbers on the fletching.
or
take a note pad and a pen- make notes as you shoot...enter data when you get home.

#14 · (Edited)
In reference to indoors/outdoors: an all-too common failing of many mobile apps, especially those intended to be used as tools or instruments such as archery scoring apps, is they are not necessarily designed according to user interface guidelines or with the end-use environment in mind.

This often results in, for example, overwhelming profusions of too-small controls, low-contrast pages and difficult-to-navigate workflows. It depends on the app of course, but as a developer and user myself, my view is that those designed for rapid input (particularly outdoors) need controls many times larger than recommended in the UI guidelines. Colors, layout and controls themselves etc need to be even more minimal, higher in contrast and labelled with text rather than icons for super-fast 'acquisition and comprehension' - its no coincidence that (for example) pilot's instrumentation and controls are like this.

There are drawbacks, of course. Functionality - in terms of breadth of features - can be compromised, especially on smaller screens but (again only my personal view) my preference is for LESS mobile interaction when shooting (there are far more important things to do than peer into a phone..!).

#17 ·
Well said, eljetico. The most salient point here being that there will always be a compromise between optimal user interface design and functionality. This issue is at the heart of app design for all serious developers.

In the field of archery, it often comes down to this: if you want to be able to plunge the depths of your shot data for useful information, the programming will be complicated. Making it easily navigable for the user is the toughest challenge of all, much more difficult than creating the math to get the results. It's why we work on our interface constantly, elicit user input and try different things as often as we do. It will never be perfect, but we will always try to be as useful as we can be to as many archers as we can.

This very conflict (utility versus simplicity) is what creates room in the archery app market for many different apps, all great in their own way. Yours is an excellent example, well designed and very useful. Archers who want a simple scorekeeping utility app have many to choose from. Serious competitive archers who want to understand their performance and how to improve it -- well, at least for the present, they know they have to put a little more work in up front to get the feedback they want.

But hey, they are already serious competitive archers, so by definition, and to a reasonable extent, that's cool.

I think this has been best said by Marcel van Apeldoorn, the creator of Artemis Lite, another great archery app. Check out his Google Play app description. The quote I love is this: "It's not a simple app... but neither is becoming a top archer. "

Cheers,
Fern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.