Archery Talk Forum banner

cold feet

3K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  escout402 
#1 ·
what do you guys do or use to keep you're feet warm in the tree stand?

my feet get cold super fast with in an hour of benign in the stand. I'm also looking to get new boots but I'm not sure if rubber or leather. :mad:

#2 ·
I use the chemical foot warmers in my insulated leather boots. They work well if you put them in your boots just before you climb into your stand. If you put them in before walking out your feet will sweat badly and your feet will freeze in an hour or less. I have the best results from the ones that cover the entire footbed.

#4 ·
I wear uninsulated boots and when I get to my stand I slip my Artic Shield boot covers over my boots and throw in a hand warmer for good measure. The hand warmer is really not needed. I've tried everything and this is the only way I have found to keep my feet warm. The Artic Shield boot covers work!

#9 ·
As mentioned by someone else, the Arctic Shield Boot Covers do work, but I dont wear insulated boots, so I needed more. I ended up buying the Thermacell Proflex heated insoles and they work great. Ive used them a dozen times and couldnt be happier. Add the Arctic Shield boot covers and the combo is awesome. My feet stayed toasty warm. I used the combo in temps in the low 30's this past weekend and had to turn off the heated insoles off because my feet were getting too warm. Without the AS booties the insoles just keep my feet from getting too cold. The combo of both is where its at for me. I was skeptical about the insoles due to alot of bad reviews. But this year, I had to try the heated insoles myself. I couldnt be happier. Best product Ive bought in a while.

#12 ·
honestly.. cold feet is weird. the more the wear, chances are the colder your feet will get. I have 2000 gram rubber boots, and I used to wear big heavy wool socks and my feet would freeze.. I started wearing plain everyday socks and my feet have not been cold yet.

#15 ·
I realized a few yrs back that my feet got cold BECAUSE of all the insulation on them. If your feet sweat before you get in the stand you're screwed. Once they sweat, evaporative cooling begins once you're sitting and regardless of insulation they will get cold.

Consider not putting your boots on until you get to the field. I wear sandals to the farm even if it's 10* outside. High quality wool socks help. Like someone else said, use a Peet Dryer! One of the best investments you can make. Therm-a-mats help too on your tree stand platform, the metal can absolutely freeze your feet THROUGH your boots...cut a piece of scrap carpeting in a pinch.

Bottom line, moisture is the enemy of warmth. Do whatever you can to keep sweating to a minimum. If I can keep my feet mostly dry and wear wool socks, even uninsulated lacrosse alpha's keep my feet warm down to 20* or so.

#17 ·
If I am going to sit all day I will put on my 1000g rubber boots and put on my Artic Shield covers. If I am going to sit but a few hours, I will throw in a toe warmer and I can sit for several hours, toasty.

I always replace my Lacrosse boot insoles with new wool/felt insoles about 8mm works great. They are antimicrobial, moisture wicking, and also very warm. They are very inexpensive and work amazing and also are very comfortable.

#20 ·
Yup....unscented SURE works well for this.

#26 ·
dont skimp on boots, they are worth the money and will last you several years!!! I have 2000 gr insulate boots for cold hunts and I'll wear 2 pair of good wool socks, seems to work for me.
on hunts that its cold but not super cold I have 600 gr insulate boots with 1 pair good wool socks

I've also used the foot warmers that look like an insole so it lays flat in your shoe so you don't feel a big bump against your toes

#27 ·
Darn Tough brand merino wool socks are the best. Also, treestands are all metal and great at radiating cold up through your feet. Try cutting a little mat from an all weather carpet and zip tie it to your platform. Sitting for awhile cuts off circulation to your feet, it's best to stand up every so often. My last recommendation is to buy felt insoles, they are great.

#28 ·
I pack in a pair of icebreaker boot blankets and wear tennis shoes with lightweight socks on the way to the stand. Once there I climb the tree, take the tennis shoes off and put them in a bag, put some heavy wool socks on, drop a hand warmer in each boot blanket, and put my feet in the blankets. No more cold feet and no $200 and up heavy boots.

#29 ·
Ive done a tone of research on this as Ive had the same problem. Ive talked with professional guides from Colorado, Montanna, to Alaska who put more miles on boots in a month than we do in 2 years.

1. Its not just about the insulation rating of the boots but the quality of the boots and how they fit your feet. Lots of people with cold feet will buy 1000, 1200g, etc boots but most of that insualtion is in the tounge and upppers. Unless its downright sub zero where your at, a quality boot and correct fit of 400g with quality socks will generally keep you much warmer and drier than a lower quality boot with 1500g insulation.
2. Feed tend to get cold from the ground up so this is also where a quality boot comes into play (I went with Kennetrek)
3. Correct boot fit. Did I mention correct boot fit. Most people dont wear the right size boots. Also you should be tieing your boots while standing in them with your hunting load on. Most people lace their boots up nice and tight while sitting down and then you stand and your foot tries to spread but the boot is constricting the foot and blood flow.
4. Good quality merino wool or wool blend socks. Check out Smartwool
5. Quality liner socks (check out smartwool
6. Use antipersperent on your feet, It will help keep them from sweating which will also cool you down quicker.
7. Take an aspirin. It will help with blood flow especially when sitting for long periods of time.

There ya go.

#31 ·
If my feet are hot, they sweat. If my feet are luke warm, they sweat. If I wear thin socks and light boots, my feet sweat and get cold. If I wear super dupper moisture wicking socks in warm boots, I end up with really wet super dupper moisture wicking socks and cold feet. The biggest thing I have found is to keep wiggling my toes to increase circulation, which helps slow the cold feet process down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.