Archery Talk Forum banner

I Will NEVER Buy From Companies That Advertise on Hunting Shows

13K views 213 replies 105 participants last post by  Beefcake 
#1 ·
I am so angry right now. Along with making products for the hunting community comes a responsibility to properly represent the sport and tradition, as well. Well, I just happened upon a TV show called "Love of the Hunt" and I'm bleeping pissed.

First, this show does NOT represent hunting. Like ANY *show*, it's partly the result of all kinds of editing and omissions.

Second, the people in it talk in a way that real people *never* talk.

Third, they layer in a hyped up, deep voiced, narrator who introduces and updates between scenes. None of us have a narrator either before, during or after our hunts.

Fourth, these shows are SATURATED with countless advertisements for products, some of which are recommended without even being thoroughly reviewed.

Fifth, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that shows like this can easily lead anyone to believe they can just "get into" hunting as if it were a sport like skateboarding or motocross. While I'm sure there are perfectly capable "unaffiliated" hunters, all the best ethical hunters I've known all got TIED into some kind of a line of hunting wisdom whether it was being born into a longstanding family tradition or joining a fish and game club.

Sixth, these shows have ONE purpose in mind: profit. I grew up in an impeccable family business that was very successful and I can tell you there's a huge difference between a hunter that profits VERSUS a profiteer that hunts. And there are those who start off as the former and sellout to become the latter. These shows exist to sell ads and those ads exist to sell products. I am a capitalist and endorse the PROCESS... but, in this case, don't mistake the show for HUNTING.

Seventh, there's no hunting without everything that goes with it. I haven't been hunting very long but I enjoy the walk to my spots just as much as the actual hunting. I spent a half day last Sunday scouting 2.5mi of glacial deposit and swamp. Just being out there at all is amazing. It makes the portion people think of as "hunting" all the sweeter. When I sit in my spot, I get a strong satisfaction of appreciating all the work that went into it. These shows not only give you none of that... they give you the exact opposite.

HUNTING SHOWS ARE LIKE ADULT *** VIDEOS. They give you all the "money shots" but none of the real camaraderie, real sweat, real relationships to other people and nature.. .they don't thoroughly or properly review products and give a QUASI-sense of integrity. They convince themselves they really mean well and are helping out the sport.

Obviously, I disagree... and for the reasons listed above, I will not be buying any products from the companies I see advertising with them. Maybe I'll change my mind some day but for now, that's my decision. I'd rather buy from a mom-and-pop entrepreneur at a sportsmans show or a guy who advertises here on AT.

Btw, to be clear, I love capitalism and see nothing wrong with advertising... it's the hunting shows that make me not want to buy from those advertisers.

See less See more
#34 ·
I never knew that. Thanks.
Good luck with your endeavor. I would love to see a list of the items that are ok for you to buy.....
It'll take a while but I have to watch all the shows first to make the initial Do Not Buy list

Well then... you best give up bow hunting. Cause every bow manufacturer advertises on these shows...every arrow manufacturer. So...I geuss your Sol.

Edit : what's with all the whiny crybabies lately..AT is full of them.
Sounds like you're whining about people who have an opinion and can intelligently explain themselves? That makes you what you're blaming others about.

I think ppl are largely ignorant about how such shows hurt hunting by giving potential hunters, New hunters and anti hunters a warped view of hunting.

If you don't care about anyone or anything but yourself, I can understand your dismay.

Exactly.

OP, I understand you dont agree with hunting shows, but if you actually think you can own/use/buy products, that are not advertised on a hunting show. . . . .. Well then You should be hunting with a spear and blue jeans. . Your list of products you can use will be very short.
You seem to forget that there are all kinds of ppl out there either just starting out or unknown because they don't have a big advertising budget. You saying you're too lazy to make an effort to find them? We put in all kinds of hours into hunting... I can find manufacturers who dont wh*re themselves out to ridiculous pseudo-hunting shows.
Man you need to go spend some time in the woods.

Can't we just support each other and stop the bashing and boycotting. So much drama.
I AM supporting you! That show is not about hunting. So I said something. But you see what happens when someone sticks up for the sport, they have to take a bunch of shots from the ppl who are merely adrenalin junkies and think the show is about hunting because there deer dying in it.
When i got tired of them i simply stopped watching. Problem solved.
That method was tried just prior to WW2, it didn't go over so well. Just pull the covers over your head, sing la la la la laaaa, and pretend it isn't happening.
Ain't that the truth !!!
Your the perfect audience for hunting shows. They say stuff like, "this is what its all about!", without having a clue. It's called "group speak" and you're really fluent in it.

I will agree with you on one point: the vast majority of hunting shows are hot garbage, and little more than 30 minute infomercials for 18 different products. I can't really watch a lot of them anymore, but there are a few of them left that actually educate.

But if you really intend to not buy ANYTHING advertised on ANY hunting show, you'll likely have to give up the sport entirely.
W00t??? Wow, good thing natives of EVERY culture didn't have you as their leader. And you're saying EVERY manufacturer advertises on mock hunting shows. Genius!

The best part of your reply was when you agreed with me.
There is an off button. Followed by time in a tree.
Yeah, that makes it all go away. I think I'll turn off the news, too, and ISIS will stop attacking Kobani. With your suggestion, there should be world peace in no time.

#5 ·
Exactly.

OP, I understand you dont agree with hunting shows, but if you actually think you can own/use/buy products, that are not advertised on a hunting show. . . . .. Well then You should be hunting with a spear and blue jeans. . Your list of products you can use will be very short.

#18 ·
Same here... I may catch one on a rare occasion... but I quit watching a while ago... and I also choose not to purchase heavily endorsed product due to the endorser... but more because of actual recommendations from friends & people I trust... not because some hunting celeb is getting paid to push their products!!!

So many gimmicks in hunting it's not even funny... and it's gotten rediculous what some of them cost !!!

#9 ·
I will agree with you on one point: the vast majority of hunting shows are hot garbage, and little more than 30 minute infomercials for 18 different products. I can't really watch a lot of them anymore, but there are a few of them left that actually educate.

But if you really intend to not buy ANYTHING advertised on ANY hunting show, you'll likely have to give up the sport entirely.

#44 ·
A lot of people liked Bernie Madoff and bought his financial services, they made money and invested more, he got a lot of weird of myth advertising, he turned out to be running a ponzi scheme.

Everyone woke up and finally saw the damage.

You are supporting advertisers that support shows that give false warped impressions of what hunting is. If you're fine having no conscience, that's your right.
Guys your all wrong he can shoot allen broadheads and shoot those boat anchor bows they sell at walmart. I don't see them marketing them on hunting shows, I mean honestly why would a company want to advertise on television anyway.(Sarcasm) OP the sooner you get over your issue the better off you'll be or you can look through what you have from companies you don't want to support and give it away to those who will put it to good use.
Don't laugh, buddy. Ppl no longer laugh at those who hunt with recurve bows despite compounds being easier and more efficient in all respects. But there was aday when they did.

Anyways, the point is, you've bought into the hype. You could sharpen your broadheads and reuse them for years or use guys like Magnus who replaces damaged ones for life. But you seem to believe, as your masters wish, that you have to buy new stuff constantly. I cash see why you'd love these pseudo-hunting shows... they satisfy an addiction.
While I can't say I let any TV shows affect me to the degree above, I will say that it seems like every year there are more and more hunting shows that don't portray hunting the way I prefer to view it. Half of them are simply C H E E S E-B A L L.
Why don't hunting shows affect you? And to what degree do you think I'm affected? I've just seen the light. And when you see the truth about ANY situation that is using you like a barn animal or addicted junkie, you, too, will be affected.

whew... got pretty bent out of shape from watching a hunting show there huh? Might I suggest changing the channel to watch a football game or something?? Oh wait... then you won't be able to buy a Ford Truck, or a Chevy truck, or a Dodge Truck, or Nike shoes, or Doritos, or shop at Dick's, or buy anything that is advertised during that game either. I'm kidding, but it's the same concept here... it costs money to make a TV show, period. They need to advertise products to pay for the production, it's one of those things that you kind of need to realize in order to be a viewer of said show. As much as you would like to see some of those "enchanted nature moments" that you describe, I don't think that too many viewers would enjoy watching 5 minutes of a guy hiking through the woods... just saying.
Your cleverness is noted, however, football isn't presenting a fake edited version of football. There aren't all kinds of cuts and edits and omissions. In fact, they have instant replay to ENSURE we are getting the REAL version of events.

Btw, the point isn't that these freak hunting shows should have 5 minutes of a guy walking through the woods. You made my point, actually, you've been trained to want to watch that edited fake truth omitted advertising riddled slop because it satisfies an addiction that REAL hunting doesn't.
We need another forum called archerydrama..
Im sure you'd do fine there since you think this is a drama and you couldn't resist adding your off topic comment.
Well i'll go 100% against you on this. I absolutely will support the sponsors of the shows that I like, however, you gotta watch the right shows with people that share common values as you do, or at least somewhat paralleling yours. I watch MLB, Midwest Whitetail & Growingdeer. I am hunting Bloodspot arrows, own a few other muddy products, an hss harness and a few trophy ridge products to support these shows and their sponsors.

I'm certainly not going to buy a poorly reviewed product, buy a product from a brand that consistently stunk, buy a bow or a major piece of equipment solely based the brand or show, or spend over what I am able to spend on some giant luxury hunting blind. That being said, if I can buy some lighted nocks, arrows, arrow release or anything else that helps their sponsors thus keeping their shows around longer and making them more successful, i'm all about it.

I think you main issue is you are watching the wrong shows. Reason I support the aforementioned is because they 1 - show their miss queues and poor choices as much or more than their successes, 2 - show that it takes a crap load of time to get on the bucks that they do, and even then may result in tag soup, 3 - show and explain that they are hunting on killer properties that they often have sole rights to hunt or own.
If there was a show that took a full, real, documentary style look into the real lives of pro and amateur hunters, you'd know it was a documentary and trying to be as close to accurate as possible. But I don't care if your favorite shows show you more of what you like, that doesn't make them honest or accurate... it just means they tickled you under the table in the right way enough to excite you for a return visit.

That doesn't mean they are giving a responsible view of hunting. Do you think a REPO shows are really what repo is all about because they show more fights than another repo show?

Entertainment should be clearly listed as entertainment and frankly I wish ppl like you knew the importance of the distinction cared more.
Same here... I may catch one on a rare occasion... but I quit watching a while ago... and I also choose not to purchase heavily endorsed product due to the endorser... but more because of actual recommendations from friends & people I trust... not because some hunting celeb is getting paid to push their products!!!

So many gimmicks in hunting it's not even funny... and it's gotten rediculous what some of them cost !!!
That's 2 for 2, buddy. You're on a roll.
Just carve an osage bow and some cedar shafts and fletch it with the feathers from a wild turkey. Take up flint knapping while you're at it. Problem solved.
There's other options besides the extremes. I said I wouldn't buy anything from said advertisers. That doesn't mean I won't trade or buy from a private seller because those items are already in play. However, I still might decide to not even use their products at all.

I mean the TV "Hunters" could talk about Taylormade Golf Clubs while they are "filling" time in a tree or on the ground. Only problem with that is most golfers are watching the Golf Channel, while some hunters golf, that wouldn't be very effective advertising on the part of Taylormade. As Hoyt or Mathews could advertise during the Superbowl, and while most hunters are probably watching, it makes much more sense for them to sponsor several TV "Hunters" who are attracting their target market.

While you state it is not the advertising that pisses you off, it is the hunting show, it is all kind of the same, no? Many people watch QVC and purchase a lot of stuff off of there. Maybe the hunting shows should add 800 numbers to them and run deals on the products while the shows are airing, and the first 50 callers gets 25% off their new purchase. Maybe then you wouldn't be so upset because you wouldn't watch in the first place?!?!

To boycott all of the companies, is asinine, and in their defense, ALL of the companies are going to say "beefcake who?" as if your contribution to their bottom line makes any difference at all. If it bothers you, turn it off. Go sit in a tree.
First, I don't mind that a hunting show would have advertisers. I mind that these hunting shows do not make it clear that they are not reality but ENTERTAINMENT ONLY... they show you ONLY what they want you to see and that's too keep adrenalin junkies tuned in for the infomercials. Sure other venues do it. I can't stop them all.

But I don't have to reward the advertisers who I think reward these pseudo hunting shows and give new hunters, potential hunters and anti hunters a very warped impression of hunters and hunting.

#12 ·
Guys your all wrong he can shoot allen broadheads and shoot those boat anchor bows they sell at walmart. I don't see them marketing them on hunting shows, I mean honestly why would a company want to advertise on television anyway.(Sarcasm) OP the sooner you get over your issue the better off you'll be or you can look through what you have from companies you don't want to support and give it away to those who will put it to good use.

#15 ·
whew... got pretty bent out of shape from watching a hunting show there huh? Might I suggest changing the channel to watch a football game or something?? Oh wait... then you won't be able to buy a Ford Truck, or a Chevy truck, or a Dodge Truck, or Nike shoes, or Doritos, or shop at Dick's, or buy anything that is advertised during that game either. I'm kidding, but it's the same concept here... it costs money to make a TV show, period. They need to advertise products to pay for the production, it's one of those things that you kind of need to realize in order to be a viewer of said show. As much as you would like to see some of those "enchanted nature moments" that you describe, I don't think that too many viewers would enjoy watching 5 minutes of a guy hiking through the woods... just saying.

#17 ·
Well i'll go 100% against you on this. I absolutely will support the sponsors of the shows that I like, however, you gotta watch the right shows with people that share common values as you do, or at least somewhat paralleling yours. I watch MLB, Midwest Whitetail & Growingdeer. I am hunting Bloodspot arrows, own a few other muddy products, an hss harness and a few trophy ridge products to support these shows and their sponsors.

I'm certainly not going to buy a poorly reviewed product, buy a product from a brand that consistently stunk, buy a bow or a major piece of equipment solely based the brand or show, or spend over what I am able to spend on some giant luxury hunting blind. That being said, if I can buy some lighted nocks, arrows, arrow release or anything else that helps their sponsors thus keeping their shows around longer and making them more successful, i'm all about it.

I think you main issue is you are watching the wrong shows. Reason I support the aforementioned is because they 1 - show their miss queues and poor choices as much or more than their successes, 2 - show that it takes a crap load of time to get on the bucks that they do, and even then may result in tag soup, 3 - show and explain that they are hunting on killer properties that they often have sole rights to hunt or own.

#20 ·
I mean the TV "Hunters" could talk about Taylormade Golf Clubs while they are "filling" time in a tree or on the ground. Only problem with that is most golfers are watching the Golf Channel, while some hunters golf, that wouldn't be very effective advertising on the part of Taylormade. As Hoyt or Mathews could advertise during the Superbowl, and while most hunters are probably watching, it makes much more sense for them to sponsor several TV "Hunters" who are attracting their target market.

While you state it is not the advertising that pisses you off, it is the hunting show, it is all kind of the same, no? Many people watch QVC and purchase a lot of stuff off of there. Maybe the hunting shows should add 800 numbers to them and run deals on the products while the shows are airing, and the first 50 callers gets 25% off their new purchase. Maybe then you wouldn't be so upset because you wouldn't watch in the first place?!?!

To boycott all of the companies, is asinine, and in their defense, ALL of the companies are going to say "beefcake who?" as if your contribution to their bottom line makes any difference at all. If it bothers you, turn it off. Go sit in a tree.

#21 ·
No mossy oak, no realtree, no elite, bowtech, Mathews, hoyt, pse, rage, muzzy, trophy ridge, qad, whisker biscuit, any form of scent away ever made, under armour clothing, spott hog, countless other brands...
What exactly are you hunting with?

#39 ·
Thanks. So I guess you're saying you only buy hunting equipment that breaks often or you have to constantly buy the latest greatest doohickey so you can feel like you're a part of the hunting community.

I just have to find smaller manufacturers and retailers who don't currently advertise on sites that warp the minds of anti hunters, New hunters and potential hunters.
Some of yall must lead a really exciting life if a hunting show pisses you off this much. Then come on to AT and cry like a baby about it.
Before you open your mouth about "crybabies", you really ought to ask yourself what kind of a person cries about "crybabies"...

Hint: Pot. Kettle. Black.
Did you just start watching tv? This has been going on for a long time. Do what I do, don't watch it anymore if you don't want to support it. I don't watch 1 second of outdoor tv anymore.
Ok so if someone has been bullied their whole life but you stumble onto it now for the first time, you should just turn the corner and pretend you didn't see anything. Don't say a word. Just walk away. Because they might bully you next, right?

It's ok, buddy. I'll take the brunt of it for you. I'm saying something.
No mossy oak, no realtree, no elite, bowtech, Mathews, hoyt, pse, rage, muzzy, trophy ridge, qad, whisker biscuit, any form of scent away ever made, under armour clothing, spott hog, countless other brands...
What exactly are you hunting with?
Yep. And it's a real shame, too, because I really liked some of those and used them right up til now. But now I'm gonna have to make them last and take even better care of my products to make them last.
I see where the OP is coming from...

We used to get a 30 min show... 20 min of show w/ 10 min of advertising/commercials...

Now it's 3 min of actual show... 20 min of advertising... and 7 min of commercials
BINGO. For starters, anyways. There more than just that, though. Yes, when they take away more of the nutrition and feed you more of the filler, they're treating you just like a pig. But they also ends up with an overall product that makes hunting and hunters look like a bunch of backwoods, idiotic, blood lusting, adrenalin junkies.

And I don't even mind that there are ppl like that but that shouldn't be the public face of hunting accessible to everyone.

Isn't that the one with Dean Davis and his kids?

Yeah the shameless product plugs are pretty bad on that show but man he's got a lot of mouths to feed. Show's not that bad IMHO.
If the show began and ended with disclaimers stating that not all hunting is like that and that most of that is staged, we'd be on our way to a viable ENTERTAINMENT product.

But they all try to pass themselves off as HUNTING.

Ummmm, about 99% of the products in our sport are advertised on hunting shows/TV, what you are mad about doesn't make much sence but.... to each his own
How scientific of you.... NOT. Where did you come up with 99%? I think you're just arguing for the lazy man who doesn't want to do a little research to find companies that haven't wh*red themselves out to pseudo-hunting shows.
Nope. I believe there is a show that advertises spears!
He's right. I shall buy no spears from companies that advertise on these freak shows that give new, potential and anti hunters such a horribly warped impression of hunting.
I'd never buy Celebrity endorsed products, those products almost all the time have terrible reviews.
You're off to a good start at being rational. To this extent, you seem to understand it.
That's a vast amount of actual good products you'll be missing out on....
Awww, well, Im fortunate because im wearing my big boy pants and won't have to cry about not getting compelled to buy all the crp celebrities endorse. It's those who call me a crybaby that would cry about not being able to compulsively buy all these toys without these celebrities peddling their fake hunting shows.
How exactly are television shows supposed to be produced without sponsors to pay for the production?
Not my problem. America is the land of plenty and second chances. Figure it out for yourself but that doesn't justify giving new hunters, anti hunters and potential hunters a horribly warped impression of hunters and hunting.

I agree that the shows don't depict real life day to day hunting... I actually watch just to see the commercials... Lol
I admire your honesty amidst this sea of denial.
So what i'm getting from this is hunting is like the adult film industry? I must be doing it wrong...
Nope. It's the hunting shows, not actual hunting, that is like the adult film industry. But you just provef my point. It's become so that some people can no longer tell the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.