Archery Talk Forum banner

Titan III/ILF adjustment?

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  GEREP 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Is there a guide for the maximum I can wind out my limbs for minimum draw weight?

It is for a Titan III and would like to get it as light as possible for indoors season

Thanks muchly

Marc

#4 ·
Yes. I found each turn from max yields 2# decrease. The three turns off bushing contact will give you approximate poundage listed on BlackMax limbs.

#5 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I have just been playing with my riser and I have left it at 3 turns…….I was curious as I have almost 9 full turns before the limb blots frees.

I just got some secondhand 44# limbs but they were rated on a 25" riser I guess so I have more umph than I would like on this bow and would like to lighten the load……

#8 ·
That (5 turns from snug) is what my manual says also.

*However* it is my understanding that the Titan II and the Titan III are using a longer bushing that the original Titans used. It used to be that 2 turns out from snug was the maximum setting and 5 turns out was the minimum, allowing for 3 full turns of adjustment.

It is my understanding that with the new longer bushing, "snug" is the maximum and 3 turns out is the minimum. However it still only provides 3 turns of adjustment.

Lastly, there has to be so many threads of the bolt engaged for safety. Going more than the recommended turns causes less thread engagement and can create safety issues. Also, the ILF dovetail bushing can only be tilted so far before it binds in the slot. This can cause damage to the bushing itself and to the limb.

The 3 turns from snug (or 5 turns on the original Titan) is the max to keep all those things in check.

KPC

#7 ·
I got the three turn info from TradTech guru John Wert. You might get more noise and vibration going more than that. Can always try it and if not happly trade or sell the linbs. What are the limbs?

#11 ·
They are Win & Win Winex 44# (based on 70") REALLY nice limbs but I want maximum of 45#, preferably 40# for a bare bow rig I am putting together on the Titan III (19") riser.

I have put them on the classifieds for a trade actually……… Anyone want to trade!?

Thanks for the replies again folks…… very enlightening and I am enjoying the ILF thing!

#9 ·
Metal Wood Hardwood Table Copper

Here is the difference in length between the new limb bolt bushing (on the left, which only allows 3 turns from snug), and the old limb bushing (on the right, which allowed 5 turns from snug).

Both still allowed 3 turns of adjustment range, it's just that the old bushing started from 2 turns out from snug.

Hope that clears up any possible confusion.

KPC

#10 ·
I have both II and III. On each, three turns out sets the poundage real close to what is markdd on the limbs. Going from 23"to 19" should increase poundage about 4#. If you can do 5 turns out you should be back to 44#.
Let us know how you make out.

#12 ·
Bill is right on the poundage conversion, however it does depend on the brand of limbs. Some limbs rate at minimum preload, some maximum preload. Tradtech limbs (Samick) are all rated at minimum preload. Not the case for all manufacturers.

At the end of the day, if you have a Titan III with the new longer bushings, I wouldn't back them out any more than 3 turns from snug. Going against what it says in the owners manual isn't a good idea, nor is it safe. You'd be better off getting a set of limbs in the weight you want than trying to push the limits on the limb bolts. JMHO.

KPC

#13 ·
I am actually waiting on a bow scale coming in so I will get back to you on that, I am enjoying this learning curve TBH despite dropping the $$ on something that is not really suitable for my needs!

My other limbs are TT carbon/woods and they are very noticeably lighter (45#) and I wanted lighter for the winter.

Rest assured, I do not want to put myself or my gear in any danger, hence my asking…….. The replies have been helpful in understanding more about this switch to ILF, thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.