Archery Talk Forum banner

Fred Bear - 6 years before he got his first deer?

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Ybuck 
#1 ·
I was watching Sasquatch on the Outdoor channel and he said that it took Fred Bear 6 years before he took his first deer? Can anyone verify that? I looked online but couldn't find it. Would make me feel better about being on my 2nd year without taking a deer yet lol

#3 ·
This.... I killed my first deer in 1972 and it was with a bow. I then went 7 years without ever taking another shot and only seeing a few deer and they were a long way off.

Things are different now....

#6 ·
Don't feel bad,.... I'm workin on my 4th year without a decent shot......:BangHead: That and having a couple trespassers queer my blind set ups with illegal bait piles.....:set1_punch:if it happens again this year things are going to get ugly,.. real fast!!:set1_punch:

Sorry about the rant.
Back on topic about Fred Bear. Growing up I think I read almost every book Fred Bear ever wrote and I don't recall it being said going 6 years for his first deer. But the equipment and tactics have changed radically,... along with deer populations being WAY HIGHER now than "back in the day" by a factor of, I;m guessing something like a factor of at least 3X, maybe 4X.

#8 ·
Don't feel bad,.... I'm workin on my 4th year without a decent shot......:BangHead: That and having a couple trespassers queer my blind set ups with illegal bait piles.....:set1_punch:if it happens again this year things are going to get ugly,.. real fast!!:set1_punch:

Sorry about the rant.
Back on topic about Fred Bear. Growing up I think I read almost every book Fred Bear ever wrote and I don't recall it being said going 6 years for his first deer. But the equipment and tactics have changed changed radically,... along with deer populations being WAY HIGHER now than in "the day" by a factor of, I;m guessing something like a factor of at least 3X, maybe 4X.
Yeah I had one shot the first time out this year and missed high. I had a small buck in my sights this weekend, but he was out of my comfortable range, so I passed. I'm trying to be a moral hunter, but it seems like that's becoming rare these days.

#15 ·
I don't know the exactly amount of time it took him, but I would say things were a lot different. My grandfather was a bowhunter way back when and he only got a small handful of deer in his life time. He used to shake his head at the ability for us to get a deer or two a year.

#21 ·
Took Chuck Adams three years before he took his first with a bow.

#24 ·
I killed my first one in my second season with a little intel and a Bear single cam bow (entry level bow) from the ground….in the shade of a tree…in a low spot in the ground. I feel for people that have hunted for multiple years without taking home a deer. I think I'd probably quit. lol

#25 ·
in '63 a school bus driver saw a deer and told everybody about it.half the town went out there to see it's tracks,in the field.
by the late '60 if you even saw a deer with your bow ,in hand was a great hunt.
if you got a shot,back then....well you were, front and center at the local restaurant.

and if you were lucky to get one with a bow....that was celebrity status.
you got put on front page of the paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.