Archery Talk Forum banner

Have you ever missed a hunting shot because your bow was too long?

hunting with "long" ata bows? I need opinions on this please.

2K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  jkarchery83 
#1 ·
Just curious who all hunts with a bow 36" or longer ata? If so here is a poll I am curious about.

#9 ·
NO....My one Oneida is 51 1/2 inches...

#14 ·
I hunt from ladders and hang ons without rails. Never had a problem with my BMXL even with a 36 inch ATA or my ELITE 35. Keep your bow hanger out of the way and cut limbs for clearance and you will have no problems.

Attachments

#15 ·
I've never had a problem years ago hunting with the longer at a. 4o" ata bows...
I had one miss , with a 35 at a bow due to interference with my climber seat... But that was my error, in the heat of the moment.
I wouldn't trade the extra accuracy I have with a longer ata , for a really short ata.

#16 ·
I definitely would have no issues using my 36" bowmadness, but on the flipside I dont see any noticeable difference in accuracy between that and my DNA until I shoot beyond 40 yards, which is something I wont typically do when deer hunting. I might take the bowmadness out for the rest of the season though seeing as I have yet to log a kill with it and I took my best buck ever with the DNA the other day

#17 ·
Remember that in the grand scheme of bowhunting, short ATA bows are still relatively new.

#19 ·
the only people that will ever have a problem hunting with a long ata bow is if they don't properly prepare their hunting site.

Bring a saw and or machete...you'll never have an issue.

#20 ·
the longer the more room needed to shoot and it does present a problem, 2 of mine are 38.5, probably 42" in total. If your not used to one a lot of caution is needed on stand, your foot placement will need more room on a platform with limited room already. Always look down and set your feet before getting ready to shoot. Just got a do it, don't rush it. The shorter ata bow I have I've never been able to get the "crack" out of it. The one I mostly use isn't much more than a bird going through the air and it's one of the 38.5's

They also require more room in a blind.

There is no one size fits all, get what you need for the type of hunt your doing. I even have a bow for shots specifically over 25 yards and use it when I know the shots maybe long. Love a crossbow for blinds, someday.

#23 ·
those were kids bows that were that short...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.