Archery Talk Forum banner

Keeping YOUR Eyes on OUR Prize - father and son live from the field

51K views 658 replies 104 participants last post by  BGagner 
#1 ·
Keeping YOUR Eyes on OUR Prize!!​

A live thread chronicling a father and sons 2400 mile trek to the Land of the Giants

Well folks, I have always enjoyed the Live From the……..threads and this year have put some quality time in on the “Pennsylvania hunt thread” myself and have really enjoyed doing so. It brought about a sense of community and at several times during the 2700+ posts I felt like I was part of Team PA or something. It was that experience that has inspired me to attempt chronicle my mid-west excursion. Strut has set the bar pretty high, but I will see what I can do to keep everyone both informed and entertained. T-minus 80-hours to departure…….

A little background…it all started on cold October night in 1971, 9 months later I was born….

In all seriousness, I am a 42 year old husband and father of two children (11 year old son, 9 years old daughter). I am the oldest of three boys and the oldest of 24 first cousins; so needless the say one of my life’s major accomplishments has been to the bar for many to jump over. I have worked hard to put myself in a position where I can have some meaningful flexibility in the fall to chase the Wiley whitetail.

My family is a close, outdoorsy family all of which continue to live in relative close proximity to where it all began in Delaware County PA. I grew up in like most catching crayfish and fogs in local streams and spending many a vacations in the big woods of Potter County. I started hunting as soon as I was legally able at 12 years old and enjoyed the time I was able to spend with my father and grandfather, but the bug didn’t bite until I got my first bow (Bear Whitetail II) for my 21st birthday. Since then, everything about the outdoors changed.

Joe

See less See more
#67 ·
WOW - looks like the HBS will be getting a workout all week……

Picked up a case of toe warmers too – they work better as handwarmers than the disposable handwarmers do……glad to see the winds forecasted for 15 or less the whole week...around here that is an issue, in KS that is almost no wind (lol)

Joe

#72 ·
I hope that no one thinks it rude, disrespectful, or deceitful, but I would perfer just to say that I am in Linn County.

Joe

#76 ·
Thanks Nick, good luck on Saturday I hope you put a big one down. Lord knows you deserve it....

Joe

#80 ·
Reducing all the gear into something that is manageable for the trip and the 10 days afield is always a difficult task.

I am not sure how many others out there experience the backpack phenomena as I call it... You know you barely put anything in your pack but it still seems to weigh 50 pounds when you're walking across the fields each day. Sort of the same experience when you're packing for a 10 day trip across the country.

I did manage a large to a small tow a trail camera repair kit and my sent box. I don't think that's all too bad...
Before....

After...

The only addition to this stack will be a small cooler with all of the goodies that I prepared for the week as well as a small duffel for the back seat that I'll have a little bit of lounging around clothes.

Oh yeah, and my Summit ....never leave home without it...
Oh yeah and my bow...
Oh yeah and the......
Back to the drawing boards I guess[emoji33]

Just about ready to roll now.....

Joe

#83 ·
Man I guess I am going to have to do a much better job proof-reading - seems my phone thinks it is smarter than I am and the darn auto-correct doesn’t always exactly produce meaningful prose...

Hopefully, folks are riding this thread for the grammar - I am hoping things turn out well....

Thanks for all of the well-wishes......
Joe

#87 ·
Sorry bud, I meant to reach out and draw your attention to it, but it's been a little nuts. Busting my hump trying to fill my PA tag, taking care of all the duties in the office and getting packed to head out west really impacts of a guy's ability to be thoughtful, I do apologize.

Congratulations on your first Iowa buck, I'm sure it must have felt great to punch that tag.

Say hi to everyone and be sure they get a peak at the thread[emoji6]

Joe

#89 ·
In bed earlier than usual, just staring at the ceiling with the game on in the background. Funny isn't it, no matter how old or how many hunts you've been on, the night before an anticipated trip is still filled with energizing enthusiasm. Going to be a long day tomorrow. If all goes well, this time tomorrow night we'll likely be entering Missouri.

Joe

#96 ·
Some footage from 2008 on a different property. Exciting close encounter with 135ish" 10 from a blind to start, some usual footage, some chasing and some pretty cool decoy footage at the 8:30 mark.....

Ever wonder what is around when you are walking in the dark.....watch the WHOLE clip......central KS 2009

Getting psyched......

Joe

#97 ·
Cool video where you're checking 1.2.3.!! But you're Hittin it just right saw more bucks this morning than ever drivin around on my way from work saw 3 that would go 130+ 2 Cruzin 1 doggin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.