Archery Talk Forum banner

NC updates?

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  rs0802 
#1 ·
I haven't been out since Oct.23rd.

What's going on out there?

#4 ·
Not far from you, Northern wake on the Granville line......... I have seen one buck chasing a doe, one buck on the side of the road (alive) and 4 does. More concerning is that lack of signs on well used paths. I amtalking about public land not private land under development pressures. In some areas it seems the deer just disappeared.

#5 ·
Been slow out east, we've got a bumper crop of acorns this year......the deer just don't have to move far to get a belly full.

Saw a nice 8 Saturday afternoon at 2pm. Watched him work a scrape line for about 15 mins and then he moved off, he never got within 75 yards.

Hunted ahead of this cold front on Monday and didn't see a damn thing.

Won't get in the woods again until Friday.

#8 ·
There are a lot of acorns this year but I expect to see deer under and around the oaks. It seems as one is depleted they would move on to the other trees. I planted a small food plot this year literally under an oak grove and havent found the first track in it and all of the acorns are still on the ground.

#6 ·
Ive been bow hunting on base trying to get close to the oaks dropping acorns. I rifle hunt near Pine bluff NC, I shot a doe last night Small 6 point pushing her along, let him walk.

#10 ·
Yep, I hunt the Gamelands along the Granville - Wake lines from Capital Blvd west to Butner. Last night I got off work early, visited archery zones south of 98 hoping to move away from the areas that seem hard hit by EHD. At dark about 4 large does came though. I had enough light to see a pin in one direction. They were pretty much Nocturnal. Kinda surprising for them to be that way so late in the season and on a 48 degree day. Ran into some guys leaving the adjacent gun zone, they said between the two they have seen 4 deer since October and have heard few shots. Populations seem to be down and acorn mast means no reason for survivors to move.... I'll be sitting on creeks and streams with agin from here on out.

#11 ·
I hunted sunday morning off 96 in southern Granville. I went in lazy without my stand and cozied up beside a tree next to a small field. Heard leaves rustling behind me and in walked a nice fat doe. Still hearing leaves rustle i waited to see what was next and by the time the other 9 does and yearlings came into the field she was 10 yrds in front of me stomping her hooves, sticking her nose in the air trying to figure out what that big lump was beside the tree. There was one high racked 8 pointer with the group im figuring about 2 years old. I had 20 eyes within 20 yds of me and couldnt draw back. I waited about 20 minutes more and eased back the way they came and heard more leaves rustling. I sat down on a log and this big old buck came limping down the creek bed. His rack was funky looking. I drew back as he was standing behind a tree and for some unknown reason he just happened to look in my direction and froze. A squirrel or something made some noise behind him and he took off. He was hurt, limping on his hind leg. I couldnt tell what the damage was but i sure hope he will be in the same area come Thursday afternoon and into the weekend. Im going to put out a big bag of sweet potatoes middle of the week to try to entice him and others to stay around. I dont hunt over bait piles but in this circumstance i want him to stay around.

#13 ·
Things are picking up.

Killed a big fat doe on Sat afternoon and a decent buck yesterday afternoon. (probably should have let him walk, but I've done a lot of that this year and I just wasn't in the mood yesterday)

The farm I hunt just picked the beans and the wheat is starting to come up, the deer are hitting it hard.

I also got a quick glance of what looked to be a nice buck chasing a doe on Sat.

#14 ·
Now that its December, whats everything look like? It's been very slow for me. A buck and doe thanksgiving morning, and 4 does quickly passing through the day after. Absolutely nothing in the afternoon. Only morning hunts.

#16 ·
I hunt Granville County. I had 16 doe at one time all within bow range Saturday morning. A decent 6pt walked in checking all the doe to see if they were hot. I was able to put an arrow in him. Last day of the year for me so he arrived at a bad time. He would have walked any other day of the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.