Archery Talk Forum banner

vertical float ?/issue

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Huntinsker 
#1 ·
Been trying to get the best float pattern and vegas scores that i can achieve. I believe my setup is almost there. The only thing i need to improve is my float and mental game. When i draw and come from the top into the ten ring area stopping at the X begining my firing process my pin floats in a vertical line from bottom 12oclock in 9 ring to top 12oclock of 9 ring. Ive been shooting a average of 296 18X . And usually have a couple shots that mentally should have let down a retried. I tried to up load vegas face pics,but unable to do so on here. Its weird because 2spot is all in the 10 ring and the1spot is a very tight ten/X but the 3 is shotgun spead in 10\9 ring.

#2 ·
When I had this issue I found it was from stab weights. I took one ounce off front. The I also tried leaving front alone, and added one ounce on back. Ended up using it with one ounce off front. The up and down bobbing was from muscle fatigue trying to hold the bow steady throughout the shot process.

#3 ·
X2 usually up/down float is due to weight on stabs. Try removing an ounce here and there or adding an ounce here and there record your results and choose the best weight configuration per best scores. That being said if you notice more float up and down and the end of your shooting you will probly like the lighter side of your stab set up.

#4 ·
If the stabilizer weights don't help, it could be that you have either your front or back shoulder elevated or "shrugged" causing a weak arm position that you're having to fight to hold the bow on target. GRIV has some great Thing A Week videos describing that. I believe they are #8 and 9.

#8 ·
I may be wrong on this but I was thinking bow dropping out was the dl being too long? A consistent float on the x but just too big stabilizer weights?

#12 ·
I just went through almost the same thing except mine was dropping low and my misses was low at 50 yard's.

I took an ounce off the front and back. Reason for the ounce off the back was one click out left was to much and one click in right was to much for my level.

Fired a few shot's at 50 yard's and my pin float was bouncing up this time with the miss being high.

Dropped the back bar one click down and it's much better pin float for me, just a tiny drop on bottom of target. I want to get some 1/3 & .5 ounce weight's to fine tune with.

Try dropping your back bar just a tiny bit to see if that solve the issue

#21 ·
Do you shift your feet at all when you shoot each target or stand in the same position? Looks like the further right the target, the worse your group. I know the amount that you'd need to move your feet is miniscule when aiming at targets so close together at 20 yards but if you're "on the edge" in your full draw alignment, the little twist to your body from target to target may cause you to go over the edge so to speak.

#25 ·
So your group gets significantly worse the further right across the page you go. Do you shoot right handed I'm assuming? If you do, you may have your DL right on the edge of being too long or maybe it's already a little long and the further you twist your torso to the right, the longer it makes it seem and that's what's causing your group to open up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.