Archery Talk Forum banner

6'6" Archer from Southern California looking for bow recommendation

688 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Flynn Farralone 
#1 ·
Hi, I was involved in JOAD when I was a kid in the early 80s and now want to revisit the sport (not hunting, just target shooting). I am 44, 6'6" and about 200 lbs. with a 78" armspan and from the "armspan divided by 2.5" formula that means I have a 31.5" draw length I guess. I am also left-handed.

I still have the Hoyt Pro Medalist takedown from when I was young -- 68", 32#. I hate this bow and always have! I would really like to get a traditional recurve and explore instinctive archery. Sadly, the only archery shop near me closed down several years ago so I can't easily go someplace and check out bows and talk to "experts".

Considering my height and draw length, I would appreciate feedback on bow models that might work best. I really would love a Bear recurve (Grizzly or similar) but have concerns about my extra draw length as well as the angle of the string pinching my fingers and making release difficult. Are my fears unfounded? I figured if I could find a Grizzly with 35-40# draw weight, it would take it to 42-48# with my draw length which should be manageable. But just wanted some insight from those who know better as to what lengths/draw weights/models would be wisest to go for.

Thanks very much.

See less See more
#6 ·
I just picked up a Bear Grizzly the other day, 50# at 28". I have a 30" draw myself and love it. I primarily shoot FITA, but when I pick up a barebow, I tend to shoot 3 finger under. I can say that at 30" draw with 3 finger under there is no finger pinch. If you go with a short ATA, I would likely recommend shooting 3 under.
*Also, as a note on draw weight, I have not gotten a chance to put a scale to my bow, but I at my 30" I am expecting my bow to be somewhere around 58-60#. The 2#/in over 28 rule of thumb really only applies to bows in the 66-70" ATA not shorter single piece bows from what I have experienced. I have a friend with a 31" draw and he used to shoot a marked 30# 58"-62" (cant exactly recall) bow and it stacked for him close to 42-44 lbs. Take this into consideration when buying a bow, and if you go into a shop, see if they can put a scale on the draw weight to see what it really is off the fingers at 31.5" to help you get a result closer to what you are wanting

#7 ·
Not sure what you mean by "ATA". Sadly there are no bow shops anywhere near me so I am doing this all via Internet. I am looking around for one of the older 66" Bear bows and also will probably pick up a 69" Samick SLB II. Never was all that interested in longbows but I am becoming more intrigued with the more I learn. The Bear could be the primary bow but we'll see. If I progress with the sport and improve, I will probably get a shorter bow down the line to see how that works for me. Thanks for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.