Archery Talk Forum banner

Florida Osceola Primer 2015

9K views 210 replies 37 participants last post by  Squirrel 
#1 ·
Florida Osceola Turkey Primer 2015

Well AT it is that time of year again for me to post my annual Osceola Turkey thread. As in years past feel free to comment or post your own pictures of the Wily Old Swamp Bird from Florida. I have three groups of hunters coming in this year. Brian Johns AKA Zmax Hunter and KSHoytHunter from here on AT are first up and will be coming in from Kansas on the opening weekend of the season this year. They will be bringing their bows and try to get it done using blinds and spot and stalking. Next up will be a hunter and his two sons from Mississippi and they were recommended by Zmax to come give me a try this year. The oldest son is trying to complete his Slam. The last group will be Ken and Pat Willis of Buck Country Outfitters. Pat may have his son with him if his school commitments do not interfere. Pat, Ken, and Pat's son hunted with me last year. Ken killed a great bird and Pat's son had 2 great opportunities but couldn't seal the deal. I should have more pictures to post after this weekend when I check cameras. A few teaser pictures for your enjoyment.Hoping we have a great year this year and good luck to all those hunting or coming to hunt Osceolas in the state of Florida. We are very wet right now but our birds have extremely long birds and thrive in this environment.

Tree Natural environment Forest Woodland Northern hardwood forest

Tree Natural environment Forest Woodland Natural landscape

Tree Woodland Natural environment Forest Biome

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks brother....You coming down for the Gatornationals this year?

#10 ·
Hey brother cant wait for you and Brian to get down here. Its cold and wet right now.....it was 24 this morning and I have 4" of water in my front yard. Bring a thermacell and plenty of cartridge refills as the mosquitoes will be thick.

#9 ·
Can't wait for it down here also. We were doing some work last weekend at the farm and saw a LOT of Osceolas. Hope to double up this year, one with my 1187 and another with my BMXS. It'd be something else if I kill a turkey with my bow before I kill a deer with it.
Good luck this season!

#11 ·
My old man and his buddy are heading down for a bird hunt..it will be the "slam" for my father..I am not sure exactly where he is headed but i know he just bought himself a pair of snake boots in Harrisburg for the trip...Good luck lads..Grizz

#13 ·
Thanks and good luck to your father and his buddy too.

#15 ·
OH MY! Swamp creatures! Im thinking ghilly suite, snuggle up to a cypress and lets see if they can spot me before its too late! Gonna retreat my clothes with termite and ant killer (permethrin),..i have 2 thermacells,..and thinking maybe taking a shower with Deepwoods Off. Sure hope i dont mistake a Florida Mosquito for a turkey,..i know,..look for the beard!
I have my aeroplane ticket, as well as gathering my gear,..basically its all piling up on the dining room table,..haha

Thanks for all the sleepless nights dreaming of this hunt for the next MONTH,..lol not like i havent already been losing sleep over it,..

#16 ·
Bring your scuba gear and spear gun Brian it is really wet right now....we have had about 8" more of rain since I pulled these cards. It has been one of the wettest winters I can remember this year.

#17 ·
Where are all my Florida peeps Im ready to see some other pictures of Osceolas....

#18 ·
I was going to come down and do a little DIY with a buddy of mine, but the cards didn't pan out.... Reckon Ill just go after these Easterns up here! Awesome pics! Cant wait to follow this thread!

#20 ·
Good luck brother I hope you kill a great bird.

#22 ·
The bird with the biggest beard is part cat I think....he is 5 years old and has survived 2 encounters at less than 20 yards with 12 gauges and 3.5" shot with not a single feather loosened.....My hunters have missed him 2 times....Hopefully this year he takes a load in the head.

#23 ·
Looking forward to following this one. Looks like I may take a turkey with my bow before I take a deer since it didn't pan out this deer season for me. Hopefully I'll have a good ol Bama turkey on the ground this year

#24 ·
The bird hunting can be great in Alabama...I used to lease land in Pike County around the Brundige area. We had lots of birds. Good luck brother and hope you get it done.

#25 ·
Looks like you got another great batch of birds. I didn't get to do much deer hunting this year, looking forward to turkey season. Give me a call if you and Ken have time when he is down. Maybe do lunch or dinner. Good luck this year.

#26 ·
Thanks so much Tom I am sure Ken would love to have dinner with you brother. I didnt get to hunt much this year compared to years past myself due to finishing up the new house and getting moved in and all. I am starting on the decks and porches hopefully in the next few weeks. I need the yard to dry up so I can bring in topsoil and so we dont get stuck. Its a mess right now. Hope all is well with you and the family brother. After the hunters are gone you know you have a standing invite to come chase birds with me.

#33 ·
Florida has a couple different zones, we will be in the northern zone, season starts 3/21,..we arrive 3/20 :)

#31 ·
It's osceola or bust for old 0nepin this season.taking the first week of the season to head south for another chance.i have been looking forward to this thread .stay dry brother

#32 ·
It weird to be getting prepared for turkeys season when it's still deer season here .i finally got my target buck Thursday with busted spot and stalk that turned in to a hiding in some thorn bushes for ambush .glad to finally get him out of the herd .come March 21 !!!!!!!

#35 ·
#44 ·
Post some pictures like you did last year brother! We need some more photos.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.