Archery Talk Forum banner

200 inch whitetail ?

20K views 190 replies 103 participants last post by  Stick&String96 
#1 ·
Just wondering how many of you out there have seen or gotten trail cam pics of a legitimate 200 inch whitetail ? Or maybe even been lucky enough to kill one ! Share stories and pics if willing ! It is a lifetime goal of mine, as I'm sure it is of many others to kill one someday but I gotta see one first ! Seen a few 180+ in my day and been fortunate enough to kill a couple of them but never seen a 200 incher yet ? Came close with a 196 & 4/8, 18 pt in 2012 but still waiting on that magical 200 ! Just curious on what everybody else has seen in there hunting career ! Thanks !

#5 ·
You shot a 196 and still aren't satisfied??? I think it comes down to character more so than hitting 200. I definitely would rather have a typical 180 than one with stickers everywhere hitting 200. Sounds like you ought to pass up 1-2 of those 180s and hope they become 200 the following year. I have been hunting for 20 years and have yet to see a 200 incher. I've exclusively hunted in Sangamon, Schuyler, Greene, Pike, and Calhoun Counties in Illinois....maybe some day.

#7 ·
Horn Antler Wildlife Deer White-tailed deer

My hunting partner shot him one field over from me.
One of the 4 of us atleast lays eyes on a 200+ every year on this lease. Biggest seen was 250+ and he wondered off into the neighboring public land and we havnt seen him since

#11 ·
I'd just round the 196 up to 200 and call it good. I saw a legitimate 200" deer once and will probably never see another. One of the worst and best hunting experiences of my life. That deer still haunts me to this day. It's been 5 years and no trace of him; he just vanished. It's hard to see a 200" deer where there are none.

#14 ·
Post the pics of your deer up. I'm lucky to see one over 120". Biggest one ever was a 150ish 10 point in velvet, that walked right under me. I had to let it pass because I had to shoot a doe first. It's not even in my dreams to see a deer that big again, other than on AT.

#27 ·
the impressive part is that he was killed with one of those fishing rods.

kidding, good looking buck there.

MD seems to produce at least one or two 200+ each year. biggest ive seen was around the 140-150 mark. biggest taken on my farm was 170 class. i was at school when that happened and couldnt come home to hunt due to football.

#26 ·
I'm not saying I'm not satisfied ! I am very satisfied with the deer I have been lucky enough to harvest ! I feel very fortunate and blessed with them ! I just really want to kill a 200 inch whitetail ! It's all about setting and meeting goals for me !

#33 ·
I've laid my eyes on 1 true 200" deer in the wild. I missed him at 55 yards... It was before my range finder days and I figured he was about 35 and shot right under him. I may never see another, but I get up every morning of season with the hopes that I might!

#34 ·
I have never seen a 200" deer here. The biggest I have ever seen is the one I killed in 2011. Grossed 194". It seems, though, everyone you talk to is ALWAYS seeing a 200" deer.............hmmmm

#37 ·
I have never killed a 200" deer or seen a legitimate 200" deer on the hoof. I did miss a buck in 2000 at 18yds that scored 198 gross typical. He was shot at night from the road a week after I missed him. That shot still haunts me to this day.

#38 ·
I would be tickled to death to kill a deer over 150. I highly doubt any of the bucks I kill made it over 140. Score never really bothered me. A local police officer that lives a few miles down the road from me got a 200 incher a couple years ago. I never seen one I believed to be over 200 but maybe that will change soon.

#39 ·
ive heard allot of people talk about seeing 200" deer in the rifle days. some moments before we chased it out and somehow it dropped 40". im gonna go out on a limb here and say any buck that grosses 180 or better on the hoof can easily be mistaken for 200 during the heart pumping moments. ive seen one buck in my hunting career that i know would gross over 200. there was three bucks. the biggest one dissappeared before shooting occured. the buck that lay dead grossed over 190.
a guy needs allot of time to judge size difference between 180 & 200. jmo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.