Archery Talk Forum banner

Proposed changes for BHFS NFAA

6K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  archer_nm 
#1 ·
They should just leave things the way they are now

just thought I would let any NFAA BHFS shooters know there are a couple of rule change proposals for review at the annual meeting that will affect you.
One is MI-1 a rule to require the use of screw in tips for BHFS and BHFSL.
The other FL-10 would do away with single pin sights for indoor in BHFS and BHFSL. Basically it will force the use of a multi pin sight. As written it reads “We either need to drop BHFS and BHFSL from being contested at the indoor or require the use of a BHFS sight.” It clarifies this as a sight with 4 or 5 fixed pins.
I believe the meeting is in April so if you have an opinion on this you might want to let our state director know or talk to some higher ups in Louisville.

#2 ·
Roger, the proposals for BHFS do not appear to be well thought out, nor are they likely to be well received. Don't think you have much to be worried about---but I've been wrong before.

Florida Archery Association keeps their folks informed. Looks like the biggest potential shakeup is in Pro Div. The 2015 Board of Directors meeting will be at NFAA Headquarters in Yankton on April 25-*‐26, 2015.

http://www.floridaarchery.org/NFAA_2015_Agenda_Items.pdf

#3 ·
Really not worried - just disaappointed. I just think we went way too far with this division. It was created as a traditional division purely for bowhunting equipment. All the changes just made it a freestyle division and totally destroyed a really great class.

#4 ·
This has been chewed on in General Archery Discussion. Indoors BHFS rigs pass for FS rigs and I've seen it, people shoot BHFS one time and FS the next. This was at the state level with events leading up to the Indoor State Championship, but this is so rare....

#5 ·
the number of pins thing is bullcrap,i could understand i solid mounted not easy to remove sight,some do hunt with a single pin, yes on the screw in points but lets get real about arrow size nobody hunts with 2712`s why not knock size down to a 22 diameter on arrows,no side stabilizers either, and the bow should not be fancy target colors,why not camo or black out bows ? since the pro`s wear nice pants and shirts, why not have the bowhunters wear a nice camo shirt ? we all need to continue to improve the image of us bowhunters . so why not show the spirit of bowhunting ? right now the way the rules are its really not a bowhunter class its a pin , fancy bow,short stabilizers and fat arrow class,no one hunts with these kinda of archery setups. so if any directors read my post maybe its time for a major change in this class ?? not just negative comments ? Pete53

#6 ·
the number of pins thing is bullcrap,i could understand i solid mounted not easy to remove sight,some do hunt with a single pin, yes on the screw in points but lets get real about arrow size nobody hunts with 2712`s why not knock size down to a 22 diameter on arrows,no side stabilizers either, and the bow should not be fancy target colors,why not camo or black out bows ? since the pro`s wear nice pants and shirts, why not have the bowhunters wear a nice camo shirt ? we all need to continue to improve the image of us bowhunters . so why not show the spirit of bowhunting ? right now the way the rules are its really not a bowhunter class its a pin , fancy bow,short stabilizers and fat arrow class,no one hunts with these kinda of archery setups. so if any directors read my post maybe its time for a major change in this class ?? not just negative comments ? Pete53[/QUO

Pete, this has been fought for ever that what has this rule or that rule have to do with bow hunting . Answer , NOTHING.. It is only a name & was never intended to simulate anything to do with hunting . It went from heavy tackle div way back when to BH in hopes that all the bow hunters out there would join up The NFAA because of the name. Remember that you are a target shooting with a different set of tools

#7 ·
This is a good thread and yes you should talk to your NFAA State Director and any other Director you know, but talking to higher ups like Councilman or the VP or President is a waste of time as we don't have a vote. This is Ironic since MI 1 is from your state Roger, mater of fact if I were you I would be contacting your Director to ask why he put this agenda item in.

#8 ·
now i don`t want to get nasty but really bow companies and anything else to do with archery all make much more money selling to bowhunters, so if the nfaa is going to use the name bowhunter why not honor that class with bowhunter type setups ? that class needs changes or change that name to the F.S. short stabilzer class. and believe me the director we have in our state is no help either.

#9 ·
As a BHFS shooter, I'm with you. I wish they would just leave things alone for a few years.

As long as we keep the 12" stabilizer, no magnification, we will be totally separate from FS. Those two things make a huge difference.

#10 ·
Just curious, and if you know: Did this idea come from some discussion within your state association? Trying to figure out the background is all.

And yeah, it is not a well thought out proposal at all, and would do nothing to prevent the perceived problem at all.

#13 ·
They just keep listening to people who complain complain complain and are never satisfied with the rules because they feel someone has an advantage. It goes on and on. Give it long enough and all that will be left is freestyle unlimited.����������

#14 ·
this weekend at the nationals yes there will be some real talent in the class the nfaa calls bowhunter ,but just look at the bows ,sights,arrows those archers are using . i have never seen those setups in the woods or on the hunting shows either, really the nfaa calls it a bowhunter class ???

#17 ·
yes i did mean what the nfaa calls bowhunter F.S. or 12 inch stabilizer - any pin class -with a release aid ,yes keep that class and rename it . but why not have a real bowhunter class like i said but don`t name it heavy tackle call it what it is bowhunter F.S. the nfaa would be surprise how many new archer`s show up ? camo or black out bow,permanent mounted site pins.8 inch stabilizer, arrow size 23 or less,screw in tips on arrows,no side stabilizer, maybe even have them wear a camo shirt. and yes its been hashed over already many times but its time to have a real bowhunter class .does the nfaa want new members here`s one way ,most kids dad`s buy there kids one bow and its a camo hunting bow and some hunt`n arrows " maybe more new members ??? "

#25 ·
Tried to edit my previous post but was too late. I lost track of things when mentioning sights. This the field shooting forum. My pea brain drifted into the indoor mode.

I would have to be in agreement with the use of fixed, multipin sights for field and outdoor target. In fact, whether shooting field or indoor target the pin(s) should be fixed , meaning no adjustment once scoring is started. Maximum, 5 pins.

#28 ·
To get people shooting field archery that currently don't shoot field archery you MUST make it interesting, fun and NOT have a bunch of old fart tight aosses (looking for tiny rules violations) running around being annoying (chirping about how much better field archers are than 3D'ers) and generally hindering progress by refusing to manage tournaments and making game improvements nearly as well as any 3D org.

#32 ·
glad to see all the different thoughts and ideals ,that`s what makes the world turn and spin.there is no right or wrong way for a bowhunter so if a person wants to carry a heavy bow ,light bow, or a stick bow or no sights ,one sight or 10 sights. or arrow size. but to use the name bowhunter for target archery does confuse people who just bowhunt and have never heard of the nfaa, many of these bowhunters are very good archers and they are the majority,somehow they need to be part of all archery too ?? archery in the schools is a start but we all need to do more, i try to help new archers and also some that have never shot too. and to all hope you have a great archery season in 2015 !

#33 ·
I just finished talking with my state director for the NFAA. And he said that the reason for the proposed changes are to separate the bhfs division a little further from freestyle. Some state directors would like to see the BHFS division totally eliminated. I also suggested that they make a proposal to bring back the pro bowhunter division in order to separate the top shooters a little bit from the ones just starting out. Also I think by doing so we may get some freestyle shooters that just aren't quite good enough to turn pro in the freestyle division.
We all need to just get along and quit arguing with each other just because we choose to shoot a different style.

#35 ·
If the NFAA really wants to attract new shooters and make a profit they would do away with a lot of the divisions and run it more like a Vegas or Lancaster shoot. Limit the divisions and have a flighted payout. I paid $85 to shoot 2 rounds (almost a buck a shot) with NO chance at a payout. I would have cheerfully paid $150 to have a chance to win some money back. That is one of the reasons Vegas is so popular.

Lancaster went to paying out in the flights also. Lets look at what is working and make positive changes.

I heard that they gave out 92 silver bowls at a cost of roughly $75 a piece. There were some classes that only had 1 person in it and didn't even cover the cost of the trophy.

The nfaa is the only org where you HAVE to be a card carrying pro to win cash.

So then why was this the highest turn out ever for indoor nationals? I have 2 theories on that.

1. travel costs were down from recent years.
2. The chance to win a new car. Yes that is a carrot dangled over every ones head that shoots all three star events. So several people who went to Vegas want a chance to stand on that line for a shot at a shiny new Mustang when in reality there are only a handful of archers who have a legitimate chance to win it.
Face it, we are nation that loves to gamble and will pay more to have a chance to win anything.

My .02

#36 ·
AS for that carrot ,You do realize that you only have to register at the required shoots to be eligible for the car shoot off.
Any skill level can qualify for the shoot off,But only a hand full of skilled shooters will win it. i have professed on many occasions That the shoot off be some sort of a luck round that even the least skilled may win it. don't remember all of the winners, but they could really shoot .Darren won the first one , & Jesse won 3. Oh well.

#39 ·
I don't see the point in any rule changes to BHFS especially the ones mentioned. What is the big deal whether an archer has screw in or glue in points? Last time I checked we are not shooting broadheads. Of the several shops in my area I would say two thirds of the hunting sights they sell are single pin adjustable sights. With the performance of the bows today having multiple pins ends up with pins stacked on top of one another and obstructing the sight picture causing the shooter to be less effective. That coupled with the fact that almost 85% of bow hunter's today use a range finder when hunting.

#40 ·
AS I have said more times than I can count, that Hunting has nothing what so ever to do with the BH,BHFS, & BHFSL styles of shooting. It is just a name. You are a target shooter period
TRUTH ^^^^^^^^^^

The best shooter will win no matter what the specific rules are and like Kent mentioned if it wasn't for the 5% of BHFS shooters that tried to push the rules too the max for a tiny little "perceived" advantage this class would be drama free.

Multi pin requirement- I see no need for it for 20yd indoor but not a big problem either, just push 2 pins to the top and 2 to the bottom and it is almost like a single pin.

Color- Pfffft that is just ................. makes no difference.

Fletching- I don't see a need since many people hunt with BHs and Blazers (or similar) but again not a issue worth fighting over.

Screw in points- Again not a big deal if i want points that won't come loose/change in the least a little dab of red loctite takes care of that.

And the final - I agree that 90% of bowhunters won't join because they don't really want to shoot bows they just want to shoot animals be it with a bow or gun. ONly way to grow members is too make it like a big bbq, with good food, stuff for the non shooting family members to do and hopefully they will try it out also. Unfortunately that will only good the local participation mostly as it takes getting bit by the archery bug hard to get people to try for the next level.

#41 ·
I did talk to my state NFAA representative about these changes I explained to him that I don't think these changes are for the better to our division. If they do want to make a change for the BHFS division I would be for eliminating the back bar since most bowhunters don't use while hunting. Myself I use one and don't want to see any changes in BHFS division. It seems from I have been told that there is a group on the board from the southwest portion of the country that would like to see all of the divisions eliminated except for freestyle and pro. I would like to see them bring back the pro bowhunter division again

#42 ·
Has anyone contacted their state representative in regards to these proposed changes yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.