Archery Talk Forum banner

Leaving bow strung, bad?

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  c365 
#1 ·
I shoot daily at home and lately, the laziness in me says just leave it strung for perhaps 3-4 days at a time. But, wondering if it will have harmful effects?

#3 ·
I have to wonder if stringing and unstringing the bow isn't a bit like taking of and landing a plane, which I've heard the most dangerous part of flying. So rather than just wondering if leaving the bow strung is ok, I wonder if that there might actually be something gained (besides time) by not stringing and unstringing the bow all of the time - such as a reduced chance of twisting a limb, plus less wear on the limb fittings. So even if the bow were to lose an fps or two a year (not sure if anyone has done a sound, statistically significant study with a large enough sample size) there might be a gain to go with that. Risk vs. reward...

Also, I'm assuming you are referring to a modern, glass, carbon/glass or carbon powered bow. Never leave an all wood bow strung all of the time, such as a stave bow. All wood bows take on a set when left strung.

#6 ·
Depends on the bow. if it is something considered vintage...I'd unstring it per use (less shooting it every other day or so) If a newer bow...I just leave it strung.

#9 ·
Thank you people! I'll just leave it strung up then. So much easier, just pick up the bow, sling, tab, shoot. It's a SF Forged+ with Premium Carbon Wood limbs. Yeah Stardog, I'll keep tabs on the string length and brace to see if it changes at all.

#10 ·
If it is on a bowstand or otherwise properly supported (as described above) and not in direct heat/sunlight such as in the back window of a car, it should be OK. I string my camp bows (wooden handled TD's with alminated limbs) at the start of the summer and unstring them at the end. They are stored in a closed shed, supported string-side up between 2x4s resting on the base to middle of the limbs. No problems.

#11 ·
Unless compound limb technology is significantly different (and they might be...I'm not a limb expert), I'd assume that if you don't unstring a compound, why would you NEED to unstring a compound? Seems reasonable to think that heat or impropoer 'hanging/storage' while strung would be a problem for both, too.

:dontknow:

#13 ·
Come to think of it, I last shot my compounds in 1992 and they've been strung up all this time, 20 years. Shot them last year for a couple weeks just to see and no difference whatsoever that I could tell. I did relax the limbs and put them away again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.