Archery Talk Forum banner

Blodding the Huntsman

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jhill56 
#1 ·
Scott from Australia with an Aussie bowhunt. If this is in the wrong location, moderators feel free to remove or change name to BLOODING the Huntsman, I’m unsure how many pictures I can post in one post so have picked a small story I have done a couple of years back, I have plenty more to post and some video of some great Aussie bowhunts with numerous feral species within Australia, if the response is positive I can post many stories along with wildlife and game pictures of my hunting exploit’s thus.

Blooding the huntsman

After acquiring my new HOYT carbon element and nailing a few critters with it, I decided to try a recurve, as I have not shot one since I first started in archery 23 years ago and had always wanted to get some game with one.

I talked to a few trad guys in our club who mainly shoot black widows and a self bow. I decided to get an Aussie bow so contacted Mark Kimber of Huntsman bows and sorted out my draw length and type of material to make my new bow out of.

I decided on Zebra Wood in the riser with an arc of Purple Heart, the limbs made of Ebony with laminations of Purple Heart. The end result being 61” tip to tip, 60# at 28” with my draw being 27” it left me with 56-57# which was the desired poundage I wanted. Arrows being gold tip 5575 trad style at 28” long, 4” killer vanes with a ribtek up front weighing 570gn all up.

The limbs

The riser

I practised and practised with my form until I was shooting 600 plus ABA (Australian format, possible score of 800, ranging in distances from 5-48 meters) and then proceeded onto the next step of hunting which brings you to the story of “blooding the huntsman”

I had set out a salt block to lure the critters closer to my tree stand as there is no trees at all on the tank which I hunt goats on, and this particular tree provides a lot of shade for myself and the goats, but alas the day I was out there at sun up it just so happened to have a cold southerly wind that day that had me shivering in about 1 hour, I froze my butt off.

After a while they started coming in dribs and drabs with around 100 goats on the tank and surrounding area sunning themselves. I had picked out a billy that was throwing his weight around and decided to have a crack at him.

I waited to some other goats moved away from the arrow path, slowly stood up and tried to stop shivering, he was in a nice quartering away shot with his left leg forward opening up the triangle, I concentrated on the spot drew the huntsman back to my anchor and released, watching my arrow dart out and hit smack in the sweet spot at 18M, he let out a bellow and reared up on his back legs and ploughed head first into the nearest goat next to him with a loud thud. He got the wobbly boot and stumbled pretty much right over to the base of my tree. I was as happy as a pig in poo.

After a while I went to climb down and happened to notice some shine off another billy’s horn way off in the distance. So thought “game on”. I lowered my curve and proceeded to climb down only to notice a fox 25M away unaware.

With goats snorting and stamping their feet as they do I climbed back up my stand lifted up the bow and checked the fox, he was making his way off at 35M. I tried the button whistle to no avail, and then tried the Tenterfield whistle and he came running right down a pad that would have been 5M off my stand.

I got in position waiting for him to appear, but no fox showed, when I had to turn to get into position for the pad he was on I had the tree I was in obscure my view of him. And in the last few meters from my tree he then came to the southern side and stopped two meters from my tree and two meters from my goat. Not being left handed I had no shot, but we eyeballed one another for a minute or two until he moved off with me turning to get a shot at about 25M just missing to the right.

Lesson’s learned, it was back to the shiny horned billy, I quickly got down and moved over to a small clump of hop bush and waited for an ambush on the pad he was on, this time I didn’t take my eyes off him, when he passed me at 13M he succumbed to a well placed gold tip that smashed through his heart and buried into his opposite shoulder. He was down in no time.

Well the huntsman has been blooded, now for some swine.

Cheers and enjoy the read.

“LIVE THE HUNT”

Scotty

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.