Archery Talk Forum banner

Portable bow presses

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  phantom1 
#1 ·
I know there are a few threads already in progress on presses, but I did not see any mention of a portable press. I was thinking of something like the Bowmaster Portable Press. I don't need one much here at the house, but the local shops are either EXTREMELY expensive, or scary to let work on it. I know sometimes you get what you pay for, but I am more of a do it yourself person as long as it does not cost me a fortune to try it. Basically just need to be able to take off old strings/cables and put new on. My thoughts are economical, safe, and efficient. your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Bones

#2 ·
Let me recommend you go to www.nitehawkarchery.com and look at our press. It presses all bow and even crossbows.

It is the safest press you can own.

1. It clamps to the limbs and becomes an extension of your bows limbs.
2. It presses down the center of the limbs so both sides of the limb is pressed equally. If you press from the side the inside 1/2 of the limb is presses further.
3. You press at the tips of the limbs.
4. You can adjust the press for both narrow and wide limbs.
5. You have infinite control of the pressing process using the turnbuckle. This is extremely important when releasing the press.
6. You will never have to buy adapters or fingers. It comes complete
7. You can change cams while the bow is in the press because the limbs are pressed equally.

Take a look.

#6 ·
I have a Bowmaster portable press, does everything I need it to do. I've changed strings and cables, peep sights etc with it and have never had a problem. Only downside is if you have a split limb bow you have to buy the adapters for it, still easier on the pocket book than the nitehawk. Never tried the nitehawk but looks good as well.

#9 ·
After shooting/hunting for 13+ years, I just pressed a bow this evening with my new Nite Hawk press. Not quite as portable as they Synunm, but it will (supposedly) safely press even the Bear series Carnage bows. (Synunm can't. Even if it can, it's got to be a very risky proposition with the way past parallel setup.) Nite Hawk is an AWESOME PRESS. Based on design, it's probably WAY SAFER than using the Synunm with extreme limb'd bows. (And it's only $150 or so.)

Directions indicated I should drop poundage to 60#, but I was very careful with the setup and it didn't have any issues whatsoever with the bow set at 71 lbs. (I didn't have a large enough Allen head to drop poundage, and I don't like stressing the threads under pressure anyways.)

PS: With they Nite Hawk (properly setup) you can even easily tap out the axle pins and pull the bearings. I didn't try this, but nice to know it's possible.
http://www.nitehawkarchery.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

#10 ·
After talking with Ken with pms here on AT and watching his videos, I found a Nitehawk here on AT and bought it. Very happy with it so far. I have pressed an older compound and then a beyond parallel crossbow with no problems. The videos really help with little tips and techniques to make it even easier. It's a two step process for extreme limbs, but I see no prolems with that either and it is covered in the videos. Hard to beat the price for what you get.

If I was doing a high volume of bows and crossbows per day then yes one of expensive bench mount presses would be nice. However the Nitehawk is also portable. Best value I've seen and I think it will work on any bow or crossbow. Ask Ken if there is anything that it won't work on. I am very happy! Thanks Ken for answering all my questions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.