Archery Talk Forum banner

So I Finally risked Finger Shooting the MR7 today (vid)

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JINKSTER 
#1 ·
Wanted to see the potential of me finger shooting my new-to-me Mathews MR7 wheelie...and just wanted to see how it felt and responded before pouring any effort into "making it mine" so to speak and seeing if it had a reasonable level of potential for use as a finger hunting compound...if I proceed with this I'll be having the center serving re-wrapped to accommodate all three of my fingers as right now there's only enough for two fingers when shooting 3 under and that's the only way I could get away with shooting this 33" ATA wheelie...I tried split and there was just too much pinch happening but shooting split?...

felt just dandy. ;)

#2 ·
Jinkster, please look at your bow at full draw. The limbs move toward each other quite a bit, which means that your bow has a lot less ATA measurement than at rest.

ATA is not a good measurement for bows these days to determine if they will be good finger bows. String angle at full draw or the length from top of top cam to bottom of bottom cam at full draw would be a better measurement.

#9 ·
First?...Thanks for responding Blacky! :thumbs_up

I will get that measurement as you describe but I'll have to wait until I have a 2nd person available to "man-the-tape" as I currently don't have access to a draw-board...in reviewing the vid I'm not seeing a whole lot of compression/movement in the limbs but what I am seeing is a notable amount of length loss via the cam profiles when they roll over to the flat/let-off side...interesting....and thanks agian! :)

Nice video.

Compound bows are great fun shooting with fingers.
Thank you and yes...I love shooting any bow as long as it's done with fingers! ;)

Is that low anchor your regular anchor ? The one problem I run into is that the three under index in corner of mouth anchor conflicts with sights, very little clearance.
No...it's not my typical/normal/regular anchor but I'm not completely unfamiliar with "Face-Walking" techniques and have used that anchor in the past....in this instance?...it was done just to accommodate the existing peep sight left there by the previous owner who shot mech release....and yes...if I were to go too my regular/normal anchor?...I'd be shooting the arrow through that sight housing! :laugh:

I don't know how you guys can shoot 3 under. I tried it this morning a couple of times and was hitting the dirt at 15 yards with the arrow nocked so the point was above the nock (at more normal nocking point it hit the ground at 10 yards).
If you're used to shooting a split finger sight picture?...yes...3under will set you in the dirt if you don't make adjustments too your sight picture....like rifling your eye down the arrow shaft...and many love to use a set crawl....but I'm not certain how well string-walking would work out on short ATA compounds...I'm thinking "not too well"....which is why I would prefer to "Face-Walk" shooting wheel bows. ;)

Thanks all and L8R, Bill. :cool2:

#4 ·
My experiences are similar. I shoot a 38" ATA PSE Freak barebow (bowhunter) all the time. I have been test shooting a Hoyt Vector Turbo 35"ATA with fingers and as long as I stay three under no problem.
Is that low anchor your regular anchor ? The one problem I run into is that the three under index in corner of mouth anchor conflicts with sights, very little clearance.

#6 ·
You shooting sights or non-sight?

Either way whatever aiming reference you use will have to be moved when transitioning between split and 3 under. Matter of fact that is the main reason to make the switch when shooting non-sight.

-Grant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.