Archery Talk Forum banner

Just getting started

779 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  John-in-VA 
#1 ·
I'm just trying to get started in 3d archery this year and was curious if anyone has any tips or info. Rules for different associations? Do you use a scope? A blade rest or drop away? Just little things like that so I know what direction to head. I know these are general questions, but I am just looking for some info to get started.

Thanks

#2 ·
Well first off welcome to the club...you will come to really enjoy 3d shooting.rule differ by certain clubs and association s weather its asa or ibo are probably the 2 main ones and most clubs either go by o e of these sets of rules or fairly close to them. A scope will definatly put in some form of an open class. There are different classes for shooting a scope and adjustable sight and for pins.as for rest you will see it all from blades to prongs to drop always in just about all classes your gonna see blades and drop always..some classes are known distance some are all unknown and some are half known and half unknown. So depending on what class you fit in a good rangefinder is needed. And most definatly a good set of binoculars are needed. As for what class to shoot since your just starting and if you hunt take your hunting rig and go have fun.above all else have fun and enjoy meeting new friends.

#4 ·
First off you will love it , I would look for a local club or local 3d shoots in your area go and don't be afraid to ask questions or shoot with other guys. As for equipment it's all preference and depends what class your shooting.. but if you have a bow and some arrows your good get out there and shoot.

#5 ·
As suggested; just go. However, we could help if we knew what you're shooting. This is my first year, and I'm shooting Bowhunter class. Having a ball. There's a class for all styles, and tons of friendly archers to help you. It's nice to have a group you like to shoot with, but not needed. We've shot with many different styles in one group from Freestyle to recurve, so grab your bow and have some fun.

#6 ·
Thank you guys for all your advice! The last few days I've really dug in to try and figure out which class I want to do. I was looking mostly at IBO and I am thinking hunter class first. I have a mathews z7 for a hunting rig and I also have a hoyt contender elite I've been putting together for target. I have been looking for local clubs that have 3d shoots in ma so I can get out there and start trying it and just having fun. i just want to make sure I have a good idea what I should be using, but honestly you guys have all made it pretty clear. Just bring a bow and arrows and have fun. I really appreciate it. If anyone is from ma or new england and knows of any good clubs in the area let me know!

#7 ·
If you are wanting to get in to 3d shooting 3d shoot.com is your best tool. Get on there webside and put in your zip code and it will tell you all the 3d shoots around your area all year long. Get a bow and go shoot and have fun!

#9 ·
You will also need some binoculars some arrow lube or just some cheap hotel bar of soap .It makes it a lot easier pulling arrows ,other than that just go and have fun .Good luck you will make a lot of new friends shooting .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.