Archery Talk Forum banner

Coco Has Arrived (and man have I got a problem here) pix intensive

4K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  BarneySlayer 
#1 ·
This is the 13" Cocobolo/Phenolic riser Bob Morrison so graciously sent me to try...and it looked killer in the net pix...so sweet in fact it caused me to have pleasant dreams about it both day and night just knowing it was headed my way...to try...(cause I've never shot a riser/bow this short before)...so notice the word "Pending" on the invoice and how careful I was about opening the box just in case I needed to ship it back....and the riser looks killer right?....just like it did in the net pic...the very riser I was going to affectionately name..."Coco"....

and all of Coco looks stunningly Coco in indirect light...but move on out into direct sunlight and allow me to introduce you folks too.... "PINKY" :laugh:

as my Yang immediately began arguing with my Ying....and it was an extremely serious argument because despite the surprise of Fem Flare?...it was still a stunning work of art...as while the testosterone in me blushed thinking....

"What must Bob think of me sending me a riser that looks like a raffle bow at a breast cancer benefit?" :laugh:

and for..."My Hunt'in Bow"? :mg:

what to do?...what to do?

continued....

See less See more
#2 ·
continued...

So I figured whether I decide to keep it or not?...the very least I should do...(since Bob was kind enough to ship it out and let me try it)...is to go ahead and string it up and take a few shots to see what a 13"er feels like...and with the string Bob sent me right out of the pack?...it looked good at the string grooves....braced up at 7 1/4"s...and measured 52"s string nock too string nock with my Sky TR7 Mediums....

I was also very generouse with the velcro to insure I didn't mar or scuff the riser (just in case) then installed a couple nail knot string nocking points and?...

got this with 29" long .600 spine beman classic MFX shafts with 125gr screw-ins...no worries about scuffing the riser there...waaaaay weak....right?...

continued...

#3 ·
continued...

Wrong!...and in my excitement had forgotten to check arrow center...so I installed a small piece of 1/8th" thick leather behind the velcro strike plate to build it out and got the arrow perched correctly with the point just left of the string...

But?....still weak...

and then even my 28" long .650 spine cheetahs w/ 100gr screw-ins showed weak which is when I put a scale to this pink puppy and yep...right on the money just like Bob said....that the 13"er only boosts poundage about 1 1/2#s (over my 21" XD) due to modified limb pad angles and my 35# limbs scaled 37# @ 28"s...dead on the money...and the only explanation I can think of is that...as compared to my 64"/35# Phoenix rig?....a short 52" bow is faster than sin on a Saturday night....which is when I went in the house to fetch my serious stix...30" long, .500 spine GT 3555's w/ 175gr screw-ins and viola...paydirt! :)

and the arrows (including the bare shaft) shot like they had eyes.

Key Points Of Observations And Final Opinions Here:

The Grip: It's no jager 2.0 high wrist but is plenty comfy and stable.

The 13" Riser Length: Makes for a very short and light bow which is very quick too point and the 2 1/2" sight window gives me an elevated level of confidence sighting/impact wise.

Draw & Feel: This has more to do with the limbs I think and remember...these are not the limbs that are staying on this riser...I have 40# Max3 Shorts on order for it...but suspect that with the static tip big hooks will feel comparable to these medium TR7's finger pinch wise...that said?...there was no sensation of pinched fingers or any problems getting off the string cleanly using my FullShot Glove 3-Under...no problems at all there...I also liked the fact that I can throw this bow up and zap stuff in a blink with a very reasonable level of practical hunting accuracy...I did notice a jump in the DFC when I drew about an inch past my 27 3/4" DL anchor (AKA "Stacking") and it does seem to "just start" getting a bit stiffer right at my release point and to be honest?...I'm kind of loving that!....feels like a perfect fit in that respect and I'm expecting pretty much the same (but better in a different way) with the Max3's when they get here.

So in closing?...this riser exhibits a remarkable level of quality and craftsmenship and truly is a stunner but?...

The $565 question is...Can I live with..."Pink Accents On My Hunt'in Rig"?

Opinions welcome and T.I.A. Bill. :cool2:

#5 ·
I know where you are coming from, I have a Dale Dye recurve that has the same color accent laminations. Cocobolo and snakewood riser, pink accents.

I bought it used and was initially disappointed with the pink accents but the bow is so fabulous in every other way I just overlook them. Your Morrison has more pink on the back of the riser, missing on my Dye. I'm not sure I'd like any more pink, I think my Dye recurve would be even more beautiful with natural wood...but buying used you sometimes accept compromises.

If you could live with the thin pink accent laminations, you could send the riser back to Morrison and have them put a nice rough or polished horn overlay on the back to cover up the pink.

I will say, since you are buying it new and paying full price, if you are not 100% satisfied send it back and order one just the way you want it. You have a nice bow to shoot in the meantime and in my opinion bows of that caliber and bought at full price are not the place to make compromises.

An overlay like this one on my Silvertip would go a long way to minimizing the pink.

#6 ·
If it bothered me that much I would take it back. However, if I didn't mind a little pink and it shot great, then I would keep it.

In your pictures, I think that riser looks bad @ss! Maybe I'm not seeing how pink it is in that picture. I am on a smaller phone screen atm.

Your call man. As far as looks go, I think it looks sweet. Would look great with the max3 profiles.

Gl with your decision.

#10 ·
It actually is "Red"...and?..."White"...speckles and streaks...

but from 3' away?...it looks fricken Pink!...but also pending the lighting....get it in dim light?...and it takes on the redish brown of the cocobolo..put it in light?...and it turns pink...put it in bright sunlight?...and it's like lithium battery neon pink...here's the pic of what I saw on the website...

and based on that pic above?...I had no clue there was any "pink" in this riser...but sho 'nuff?.....pink.

#13 ·
That's lovely!

I rock pink all the time, when my new lovely comes I have the limb savers, string material, feathers and wraps all ready and in PINK!

The arrows for practical reasons but everything else is just for wotsits and giggles, and to get my camo clad everything buddies wound up!

I am looking at Morrison later down the line, and this riser says why……it's a stunner

#18 ·
I'm willing to bet the spine requirement is due to lower mass.

Also I like the looks :)

-Grant

#22 ·
Okay...thanks for your input folks!...I called Bob 2 hours ago and told him to go ahead and run my card...it's a keeper.

Turns out the accents aren't pink action wood...it's red stained maple that has a chameleon effect which can range in hues from red too redish tan and yes...even pink pending lighting conditions.

in the past 18 hours I've gone from wondering if I can live with it too very proud to own it! :)

Thanks again, Bill.

#26 ·
Anyone who has made bows will recognize the sheer number of steps to make a riser like that.There is no doubt Morrison is a master craftsman.Having said that it seems bowyers have "jumped the shark" nowadays-to me its just gawdy (that is my opinion and not an insult).These 3 Morrison shorty ILF risers appeal to me personally much more especially for hunting.I only own the all phenolic and have since sold the others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.