a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Is Scent-lok Lining Worth The Extra Bucks Or Is Scent Eliminating Detergent As Good

Is Scent-lok Lining Worth The Extra Bucks Or Is Scent Eliminating Detergent As Good

ITS QUITE A FEW EXTRA BUCKS FOR SCENT-LOK LINING IN CAMO CLOTHS! WOULD WASHING CLOTHS IN A GOOD SCENT A WAY DETERGENT BE JUST AS GOOD? I AM GOING TO ORDER MY CLOTHS TOMARROW MORNING AND ANY INPUT ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPREACIATED. THANKS, JOE

You didn't say what animals you were going to hunt, or how....

I don't hunt, but I listen to various people in my local pro shop talk about hunting. I think that I know who the good hunters are (the owner and a few of his friends); if so, this is what I have put together from listening to them talk in the background while I shoot:

Deer have amazing noses, and they will smell you: Even your breath. So, you need to wrap your entire body, including your head/face, in Scent-Lok clothes, because as the smells (oils, perspiration, etc.) leave you, they get absorbed by the charcol lining of the clothes, and never get through to reach the deer's nose.

That's the extent of my knowledge.

Here is the web page from Scent-Lok, if it helps:

http://www.scentlok.com/

kgk
    Last edited by kgk; June 29th, 2003 at 07:44 PM.

hey joe you can use all the soap in the world and you can use good soaps to clean your clothes and you can do everything to the book and get caught by a deer with movement or maybe you had coffee for breakfast and they still pick you outi have the scentlok liner for my upper body they come in many sizes and i use the scent lok hood. and i use another pice of clothing that is an odor restaint type of clothing. if you don;t get anything else get both the hood and the jacket liner and your there. just take care how you do your thing in the woods and keep your movements down to the least yu have to in the tree stand but if your in the blind you can move a lot more but remember to keep your camo on and your scentlok and hood to help prevent any odor from escaping
    rob k

Is Scent-lok Lining Worth The Extra Bucks
    Yes

I hunt, have several pope and young animals. I will not hunt without scent lock. period. Not a debatable subject. Trust this advice--washing cloths and showering with scent free soap is not comparable to the scent lock tech.

In a car driving to a meeting, fishing hole, or archery shoot!
    Last year was my first year with Scent Loc and let me tell you that it is worth the money! I saw more trophy bucks last year than any other year hunting, stalked up on more deer last year than any other, and generally, saw more deer then ever before. You still have to be careful with your actions in the woods, etc... becuase it doesn't stop all of the scent, but it does help TREMENDOUSLY. I've hunted 10 years without and 1 with.... I'll never hunt without it again.

My 2 Cents.

Jay

Absolutely!!!

You can use all the soaps you want, but they won't necessarily contain your scent. I use Scent Lok, and scent eliminating soaps, both for my clothes and myself, as well as scent eliminating sprays, and have done so for the past two years, and it works great. I also keep my clothes in a large rubbermaid container with oak and cedar leaves/branches, and this adds a fantastic natural cover scent. The biggest buck I saw last year, I rattled in on Veteran's day and he walked in on the exact same path I did!

I'll agree with the majority on this one. I absolutely will not bowhunt without Scent-Lok.

I started using it 3 seasons ago. I'm quite certain that I have not got busted by a whitetails nose since I started using Scent-Lok. I also shower with scent eliminating soap and put baking soda in my boots.

The way I look at it is you're not going to have many opportunities at "the big one" so I view Scent-Lok as an insurance policy.

Go to their website and click the "Close out items" tab. Some pretty good deals in there.

I also like to buy scent lok outergarments (camo) rather than the liner. This way the adsorbent layer is outside any undergarments you may wear.

good luck

Scent-lok

Scent-lok all the way it's some great clothing and worth every penny you pay for it.

Target 1
    May all your arrows find center.

Anyone try Supprescent clothing for Goretex? It is said Supprescent can be washed numerous times without any carbon washing out, something that is known to happen with Scent Lok and Scent Blocker!

I've had mixed results w/ it. On warmer days, it causes me to sweat and I do end up getting busted. I quit wearing it on the warmer days last year and did not get busted as much. I think it's better on colder days. It also acts as another insulation layer.

I have found that if a deer is dead down wind and the conditions are right for him to smell good that day you are busted no matter what. But on the days that the wind is swirling or the scent is not drifting to the ground like other days no doubt about it the scent lock style of clothing helps. As long as you make sure you are as scent free to begin with as you can before you get in to the suit and take pains not to sweat it up gettin set up.

Thumbs up Scent-Lok

I still recommend using scent elimination body soap and sprays for the exposed skin areas and especially on boots and hats. I also suggest gathering foliage and dirt from the area you are hunting and put them in a nylon stocking or cheese cloth and store it in a zip lock bag with your gear a week before you go hunting. If you’re hunting in an area where cattle graze grind your boots in manure every chance you get. Avoid standing near or exposing yourself to camping fires or any smoke until the hunt is over—smoke residue is the worst thing you can do to Scent-Lok gear because the outer layer traps and stores scents as well if not better than any fabric.

Last year I called in a cow elk not knowing she was behind me until she snorted and the steam from her breath passed around my head. I wish the camera was running but my friends were within a few feet too and couldn’t move without being seen. I’ve had coyote’s, deer, elk, rabbits, squirrels walk with-in feet and even a few birds land on me. I still get busted plenty but I can honestly say before Scent-Lok I would get busted much sooner and more often.

Scent-Lok “heavy winter” gear and the hood works! It gets hot and I sweat if I have to walk a lot but it seems to hold in the scent. I never tried the lightweight gear so I can’t say if it works as well. Whether if it’s worth the money or not depends on how much, long and how hard you like to hunt.

I've never worn scent-lok, so I can't comment on its effectiveness. I can say that I primarily hunt from the ground and manage fine without it. Basic things like showering, using natural cover scents such as hemlock needles and black walnuts, and doping the wind (when it's blowing steady) almost always keep me hidden from their noses.

Besides, trying to cheat their noses with artificial scent barriers takes something away from the hunt for me. I don't want to rely on that stuff and get more enjoyment out of knowing I doped their noses with my own prowness. The few times that I do prompt snorts and flagging tails, I grin and chalk it up as part of the game.

TOOK THE GOOD ADVICE

FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU FELLOW ARCHERS AND HUNTERS FOR YOUR ADVICE AND I AM TAKING IT! I ALREADY ORDERED THE PREDATOR GREY WITH SCENT LOK LINING. THANKS, JOE YALL HAVE A GREAT 2003 SEASON!