Archery Talk Forum banner

how to use this bow press

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  92safari 
#1 ·
I just bought this bow press, I have no idea what kind it is and I dont know how to use it either. It was only $50 so if I cant figure out how to use it I might just sell it but not sure. Im going to be using it mostly on my hoyt carbon spyder turbo 2014 model.
Automotive exterior Wheel Vehicle
Floor
Gun Trigger Machine gun
Table
Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
My thought on this is your bow is placed below the two inner gold color pins with them on the limb
and very close to the end of the riser. The outer gold color pins will be placed below the upper end
of the limb and below the cam (closer to the riser) so when pressing the limbs, the cams will not
be damaged. The main cross bar of the press is adjustable to narrow or widen to accommodate the
length of the riser. The limb end pins (outer gold pins) can be moved in or out to adjust that required
length. The valve near the base of the jack is then tightened clockwise with the handle and then the
handle is replaced as shown in your picture and pumped to extend the jack piston to compress the
bow. As the bow is being compressed the outer pieces of square tubing will hinge upward. To decompress
the bow, slowly open the valve you previously closed, very slowly while checking to make sure your string
and cables are seated properly. The purpose of the two springs is to return the jack piston to the lower or
closed position. All the best.

#9 ·
#11 ·
I just bought this bow press, I have no idea what kind it is and I dont know how to use it either. It was only $50 so if I cant figure out how to use it I might just sell it but not sure. Im going to be using it mostly on my hoyt carbon spyder turbo 2014 model.
View attachment 2209713 View attachment 2209717 View attachment 2209718 View attachment 2209719 View attachment 2209720
You have the Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo.

Stay away from the solid pin CROW BAR presses. You REALLY want a full size FINGERTIP bow press. FINGERTIP bow presses, the FINGERS of the bow press
push on the ends of the LIMBs.

#23 ·
Biggest issue I see is that you don't have room for a very long riser in those presses. I have fingers and pins to upgrade older presses, but I think the perameters of those presses might better suit restringing some crossbows or old school cast riser, 16" limb bows. Always puzzles me when guys spend thousands on a bow and then as little as possible on the one piece of supporting equiptment that will either maintain it or crush it.. lol
Here are examples though for refference. Those presses aren't useless, but not suited for your particular use. I'm sure you could get your money back out of it from someone that wants to take care of the crossbows like a broad limbed compound or a recurve. as long as everything was reasonably beefy in structure.

Attachments

#15 ·
Crowbar bow presses...have arms that SWING like a draw bridge. The arms pivot on a hinge, and the LEFT arm rotates clockwise, and the RIGHT arm rotates counter-clockwise.

A fingertip bow press is a LINEAR press, and ONE side of the fingertip press is stationary (does not move)
and the other side of the fingertip press moves in a horizontal line.

Nothing rotates in a LINEAR fingertip press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUXmh9nrZVI

Watch this YouTube video clip so you can see how a LINEAR bow press works.

#14 ·
You are out of your mind if you stick your Hoyt carbon bow in that press.

#20 ·
Just a suggestion here------you have a lot of research and learning to do before you stick a $1500+ bow into any press. If I were you I would probably suggest you find someone that owns one or ask your local pro shop(they can help you get the correct press also) to show you how to properly press a bow in a proper press.
Just from your two pictures and and your questions you have a lot of research to do before you buy again.
By the way EZ Green press would IMHO be your best buy.

#22 ·
Contact 92safari on here...he makes a similar style press that he calls the pac press and has fingers and u pins for his press that might work on the one you have and would allow that press to work with pretty much any bow out there

#25 ·
Carbon bows are nice. I've had several. Only thing about all the carbon bows in the past is that eventually they crack and thats the end of it. Main thing I'd look for is a tip pressing action and a means of riser support so you minimize stress transferred to the riser. Also; Do alot of research on bow maintainence, using modern limb tip presses, and carbon bow issues so you'll be ready to safely tackle what you need to without any unexpected mishaps that might otherwise commonly occur..
There's a variety of presses to look at. Just start researching what would best meet your needs..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.