Archery Talk Forum banner

Love my new Protec

4K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  biblethumpncop 
#1 ·
SO awhile ago I had a 06 Protec, with XT4000 limbs, and one of the nice guys I know (TC) talked me out of it. So I decided a month or so ago to build up a couple new old Hoyts.. LOL
My first one is a 06 Camo Protec I bought, it had XT3000 limbs, bought 2 sets of XT 4000's from Barnsdale archery, and Gary found me a set of #2 Cam and Half's, and I found some 65% mods. My other friend made me some new threads for it and I have a serious shooter. I threw a 12" stab on it, an old golden key Superstar rest and the past few days have been tuning. :) Got the cams tuned, (easy stuff there- I like the top cam to hit just a fraction before the bottom) and today walk back tuned to 40 yards. What a great bow. Solid back wall, easy draw cycle, smooth and the bow just sits perfect with the 11 Oz disc weight on the stab.

I have another 06 Protec at NW Hydro Dipping right now, its going to be a carbon matrix, with red in the clear coat giving it a tint. Of course the limb pockets and various other parts are being cerakoted that same red. This build will have silver #2 GTX cams to experiment on how they perform with this build. I also have a red/black string for it, and of course red and black weights for the side stab, thinking I'll go with a total black front stab and weight. LOL

I just finished building my son an 06 Protec (blue fade to black riser) with XT3000 limbs and #1 cam and halfs. Fits his draw length of 27" well. Its a 50# draw weight.

I am also building a couple FrankenHoyts, 2 Vantage Pro risers, one will be for me with GTX cams and the other for my son with GTX cams, both will have XT 3000 limbs, a 45 1/4 ATA. I have everything for those except the #1 GTX cams (on order) for the sons bow. I have 2 others (vantages) sitting awaiting production and 2 more Protecs in the shop waiting for some XT 4000 limbs.

Did I mention I just found a green fusion 06 Protec that is the same as the one I gave away awhile back to TC....

Is there a 12 step program for this addiction?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Totally cool. Looks like you caught whatever Gary has. Gotta love those 05/06 Protecs.

#8 ·
Cause of my shoulder I'm giving up on my beloved recurves after a few years of trying and returning fulltime to shooting compounds with fingers. Have a Secpter 4 with the furious cams that I am shooting at 38 pounds with no issues so far, but like the looks of these Protecs a lot. Are limbs in the 30-45 or 35-50 range available for these? Also do they still make the cams and or round wheels or are they only available on the used market. I'm interested in putting one of these together if the right combination of parts can still be found.
Thanks
Bill

#9 ·
Bill, Just about anything can be found on the used market, I keep an eye on here and ebay. Accuwheels, Wheel and Half or cams are out there. I just built a 40-50# Protec for my son, the blue one above. Its got XT3000 66 deflection limbs with cam and half cams.

#12 ·
I have shot the old Pro Vantage with wheels and know how smooth (and slow, with no wall) they are. How do the other offerings such as cam and a half and the GTX cams compare. I'm particularly concerned about the draw cycle and getting over the hump. That's the part that hurts my shoulder the most. I know I could shoot wheels but looking for a little more speed if possible. An recommendations?

#11 ·
Wow, beautiful stuff. The last I knew Barnsdale was just in the process of making split limbs. Looks like they came through. What poundage range with the cam 1/2s and what is the limb deflection of the Barnsdale 4000s?

Keep us posted on the GTX cams.

Do you know where I can come by a set of limb pivots?

There is no 12 step program... just leave a few spare parts for the rest of us with Protecs will ya?

#14 ·
The Barnsdale limbs I bought were his 53 number, which were supposed to be 82 Def, but they came out a bit heavier than expected. He also makes a lower def (his number 49), that I am going to try, if my calculations are right then I should be around 55-60#'s.

For limb pivots I think any hoyt dealer should have some laying around?

#17 ·
What cam system are you shooting?

#18 ·
Ren if you are interested I have two sets of hoyt limbs in camo. The first set is marked 84 def and they are 16 and 1/8 inches from the butt of the limb to center of axle hole. The second set are marked 92 def and are 15 1/8.

Tim

#20 ·
Those Hoyt pro-tech bows are real nice. I had one and really liked the way it shot. Hoyt was impossible to get parts from so I ended up selling it on ebay. The builds above are really well done thanks for sharing!

#23 ·
Thanks for the kind words, it's good to know I'm not completely full of crap :)
Glad to hear the spinner is working for ya seems to be rather universally enjoyed.

#24 ·
My latest build, NW Hydro Dipping just sent me my riser back (Carbon Matrix with red tint in the clear coat, red cerakote limb butts and cable bar), with Barnsadale XT 4000 limbs and #2 GTX cams, and I have a 30.5" DL 60# Protec.

Attachments

#26 ·

Hoyt Protec, is my favorite Hoyt Riser of all time.

02' Hoyt Protec (I think) w/ XT3000 and #2 GTX cams, ~29" DL. I've got 74 def limbs and get about 60# limb bolts bottomed out. Long limbs and GTX cams turns out to be a better option then the more aggressive Spirals I use to shoot before.

Rsarns How are they with the longer XT4000.

Hopefully an Aspen that I recently scored will be here soon, LX Pro w/ Command Cams, I'm thinking I might try getting GTX cams on that Bow as well.

#37 ·
View attachment 2220103

Hoyt Protec, is my favorite Hoyt Riser of all time.

02' Hoyt Protec (I think) w/ XT3000 and #2 GTX cams, ~29" DL. I've got 74 def limbs and get about 60# limb bolts bottomed out. Long limbs and GTX cams turns out to be a better option then the more aggressive Spirals I use to shoot before.

Rsarns How are they with the longer XT4000.

Hopefully an Aspen that I recently scored will be here soon, LX Pro w/ Command Cams, I'm thinking I might try getting GTX cams on that Bow as well.

Aaron,

Did you ever put the GTX cams on the Aspen?

#27 ·
LOL you bought that Aspen off of Ebay, I bid for awhile on it. Saw the LX pro limbs, and figured I'd see if I could get it cheap.

THe GTX so far seems pretty snappy and I like them. I picked up 10 FPS as compared to the same setup with cam and half. Of course different strings and cables so hard to really compare. I shoot spirals on my Pro Comp Elite, and it really will wear you out... LOL

#28 ·
That was me, I like tooling around with older Bows, Protecs have been by far my favorite. Had a Stratus and an Oasis, both have been sold and passed on so wanted to play with an Aspen now.

Probably paid more than I should have, but I got a deal on the shipping *bay calculated to ~$2. which was puzzling, but hey who am I to complain, it's the Sellers listing.

After I calculate what the arbitrary ~$30. which it normally costs to ship a bow, I'm fine with the cost.

rsarns I'd like to compare string and cable lengths that You came up with. My XT3000 vs.Your XT4000 (aka LX Pro)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.