Thread: Help, Where can a get curing Salt?

Help, Where can a get curing Salt?

Looked at 3 grocery stores and can't find curing salt. Am making summer sausage. Think I could substitute regular salt? What is curing salt?

check local butcher shops, academy, cabelas, bass-pro, sportsman's warehouse....etc. i even saw some at wal-mart(in the hunting section)yesterday.

i use "tender quick" its in the salt isle at my local super market......

curing salt

try butcherpacker.com they have all the curing stuff you need

Curing salt and table salt are two different things, table salt is sodium and while curing salt has salt in it, the ingredient that does the work in it is either potassium nitrate or potassium nitrate according to what you are trying to cure. A good source of suppliles and information, is ttp://www.sausagemaker.com/ it has everything you need to make any kind of sausage or jerky. You are most likely looking for Insta Cure #1. I hope this helps.

TC

Ok I tried the morton curing salt. Has salt, sugar, and the other 2 ingredients.

Well how much do you use per lb. of meat. I made the brine according to the package. WELL don't. You will end up with little salt blocks. WOW was it salty.

Any suggetions.

What are you trying to make Mad?

Is Pickling salt and curing salt the same thing????

jerky

Quote Originally Posted by Duke12
    Come on some has to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke12
    Nope. Pickling salt is non iodized salt. Actually, it is just salt. Table salt is iodized. It has iodine added to it. I guess for better TV reception or something.

On to curing salt.

In my neck of the woods, curing salt is one of two compounds.

You have one compound that has sodium nitrite in a salt base. This is used for cured, cooked meats like bacon,ham, and jerky.

The second compound is sodium nitrate in a salt base. This is used for dry curing meats like summer sausage, and pepperoni. Now that does not mean that all summer sausage, and pepperoni is dry cured. Those were just examples.

I hope that explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by madarchery
    jerky
    You can make jerky without the use of curing salts, sugars, and so on. The main thing is to keep the meat at, or below 38 degrees F during the marinating phase.

Using sodium nitrite, the meat takes on a different look, and taste. This also helps reduce the risks of spoiled meat. Cured ham, and bacon are pink looking. Roasted fresh pork is white looking. And, they have totally different tastes. The same thing happens with beef, and venison. I prefer using sodium nitrite in my jerky.

If you want to make jerky without the use sodium nitrite, you can. You just need to make certain that your marinade has a good measure of salty components, and keep the meat below 38 degrees while marinating it. And, you need to dehydrate the meat thoroughly, and quickly. Also, you need to bring the heat up to at least 150 degrees while dehydrating.

PM me and I'll give you a base line recipe.

Go to eldonsausage.com if you can't find everything for jerky or sausage making there,you don't need it. Good recipes and processing tips also.