Archery Talk Forum banner

Optimal compound draw lenght

821 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ND Swede 
#1 ·
Hello,

I know this is a stupid question but I'm not sure about the correct draw lenght for a compound bow. I got told several advices and i'm not sure what to belive, I'm a recurve shooter so still learning how to handle a compound but I want to get my own. In the picture I tried a 28" bow from a friend and I got told that was the optimal lenght but most of the pictures I saw on the Internet show shorter draw lenghts.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats about how mine looks for me. There is optimal and then there is what works for you, if that's comfortable and you can shoot consistently then it's probably something you can work with. The good news is that most of the bows out there make it very easy to change the draw length, only taking a couple minutes and moving a cam module to a different setting or swapping it with a different module.

#4 ·
Looks a bit long to me based on where your release hand is.try getting somebody to measure your wing span finger tip to finger tip with your arms straight out to the sides andbyoubstanding up against a wall and divide by 2.5 that will get you really close on your draw length

#6 ·
Start over on measuring your draw length. Measure from finger tip to tip. For example 70" now subtract 15= 55. Now decide that by 2. = 27 1/2". This is a better method. Now pay close attention to your form. Have someone take a picture a little further away so you get a head to toe view. Now start with you feet, spread them about shoulder length apart and make sure they are perpendicular to the target. Point the bow at the target and pull straight back to your anchor point. Bend your left elbow a little. The peep sight should perfectly be lined up with your eye. If it isn't, move the peep not your head. The string should touch your nose. Look at a picture of yourself. You should be standing in a perfect T shape. If you are leaning back your draw length is to long. Don't let your hips move forward. Make sure your form is correct and fit the bow to you. If you want to shoot well don't settle for bad form. Take off the arm guard. If you hit your arm it leaves a nasty bruise and you'll know your doing something wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.