Archery Talk Forum banner

another day...got my V8's in a row...and feelin' out 70...video

722 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rickstix 
#1 ·
Entertaining myself is work...but someone has to do it.

This time I changed things up a bit...nothing newsworthy there...but I really wanted to tackle the 70 yard shot again...plus, if I'm going to go through the bother of hauling all my stuff up to the platform, having more than one objective "can" take some of the sting out of it.

In the past few seasons with my daily shooter recurve, the longest shots have been just a few at 80-85 yards on stumps...so I've really felt unfulfilled in getting to know my bow as well as I would like. This 70 yard shot is "easily" available...and, ultimately, it should help with my 30 yard shooting
Anyhow...I've tried this a couple of times...put my share of arrows in the dirt...but apparently obsession and stubborn aren't far apart. Part of not referencing my arrow or gappng is working out the feel...so I'd consider the learning curve in its early stages...and each positive is something to build on. These are a few of the more memorable moments.

'Nuf said...time to get soaked in sweat making firewood. Someone has to do it...but why me?..I could be shootiing! Enjoy, Rick.

See less See more
#3 ·
Are you coming to Denton

If so I would really like to shoot a round with you and chat :)
Hey Mr. Joe...

Yup...I have plans for Denton...but there's going to be a family reunion on the other side of the state at the same time so I'm probably going to come up short of enough time to really enjoy either one, to the fullest.

Kinda plannin' on ambushing you for a chat and a handshake though...and looking forward to it. Rick.

#5 ·
Very nice! The time elapsed from sound of release to impact tells me that the velocity of the arrow was not slight.

Do you simply aim higher on such longer shots or do you employ a lower anchor point? I have never attempted any shooting beyond 60 yards and had to aim at the tree line behind the target.....lol. Still never hit anything but dirt. Gave up figuring that a much lower than an effective hunting range anchor must be elected to shoot at such distances.

Doug

#6 ·
Very nice! The time elapsed from sound of release to impact tells me that the velocity of the arrow was not slight.

Do you simply aim higher on such longer shots or do you employ a lower anchor point? I have never attempted any shooting beyond 60 yards and had to aim at the tree line behind the target.....lol. Still never hit anything but dirt. Gave up figuring that a much lower than an effective hunting range anchor must be elected to shoot at such distances. Doug

Well, at the risk of losing something in the translation, I'll give you a bit of my perspective. Just bear in mind that explanation is notoriously difficult...and I often advocate do as I say and not as I do.

My anchor never changes...and "aim" is only where I want/intend/expect the arrow to hit. That you noticed elapsed time is also a nuance that I pay attention to...and factors into the equation as a definite contributing factor.

I was trying 2 different sized aluminum arrows and they both performed differently. One was better against the wind and most often overshot the target, where the other was a bit more touchy to shoot and often came up short. "Time to the target" clearly favors the former, so I'll have to break out some more of those shafts...but the point has more to do with flight-time as being a predictable and usable characteristic....and that's part of where "intuitive" would be a better term for the method.

"Plotting the arc" is also an element...but I don't do it by "trying to hit something above the target". I first draw on every target as if it was 10 yards away, elevate until it feels right and typically release while the bow is in motion.

The closer the shot the more I'm able to extend hold times...but with long shots that allows too much time for things to wander beyond recovery. Basically though, long shots are otherwise dependent on the same things for most shooters...the bow arm needs to stay "tight on target", through elevating, and draw length need to be consistent.

As far as "effective hunting range" goes...I've always liked the practical nature of bows and arrows...and I like knowing that if my life depended on it and I wasn't going to have another shot at a meal that my chances wouldn't be totally hopeless at uncommon distances. Rick.

#8 ·
It's easy for me to admit that having a distinct location for placing the point of the arrow should make things more repeatable...and shorten the learning curve. That said, my objective has always been negotiating random unknown distances over varied terrain. In this case, I just looked at the 22 second mark of the video, and projecting my eye level equates to about 15 feet higher than the target..so using a 70 yard gap that was established on level ground won't work...and I would need to find another...just to suit the conditions.

As the story goes...I started early without instruction...and when I eventually came across "point of aim" in a black and white illustration I decided to give it a try, but apparently I didn't get it. Every time I was supposed to hold to a point low of the target to hit the middle my arrow hit that point...and the same thing happened when a high point was used. My conclusion was that I was already competent enough at making the shot the way I had been used to shooting...so that put an end to the book-learnin'.

I'm not saying that I haven't looked into every method known to man...just that I've been content with what I've become accustomed to doing. I knew nearly 60 years ago that I was in this for the long haul...and that everything that isn't hunting is just playful familiarization with my bow. I'm probably no less stubborn or obsessive than the next guy...but that doesn't make me anxious...it makes me patient.

The neighbor just cut his pasture so I'll soon be doing some longer distance shooting...and as soon as I get some new flu flus made up I'll be taking some long shots with them as well. Flu flu's, in particular, tend to exaggerate the concept of spacial awareness, which is a large component of my shooting but doesn't express itself nearly as well with other arrows.

Don't know if any of that helps to explain...as previously mentioned this can be notoriously difficult to translate...and I can totally appreciate where you're coming from. Thanks for the input. Enjoy, Rick.

#10 ·
I've shot a number of differently styled flu flu's and distances vary by how they're fletched. I've been shooting this style since the 60's and its definitely my favorite because it gives me the extra reach with longer wing shots.

They're virtually the only arrow I use for hunting squirrels...and I recently recovered the 4th squirrel from last season, when that flu flu came back to earth after spending 7 months 55' off the ground...longest flu flu flight to date. Rick.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.