Archery Talk Forum banner

buy a bare bow or package deal?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  GoBucks! 
#1 ·
After a crazy amount of research, I seriously leaning towards an MBX 320 for my first crossbow. Big question, should I buy a bare bow or the Hunter package for $299? I definitely want the most bang for the buck and if I can save a few dollars, that would be great. Or, if $299 will buy better components than the Hunter package, that would be sweet.

If suggesting a bare bow, can you give recommendations for quiver, quiver mount, and bolts? For a scope, kinda leaning towards a Hawke 1.5-5 IR scope or Nikon Bolt. Any suggestions is much appreciated for this new crossbow hunter trying to educate himself!

#2 ·
Love my 320, you will to. I bought the hunter pkg for 150.00 Hawk scope ok , good quiver but..... I think you can do better for less. Mission bolts, not so good. Easton Magnums or BEES for arrows, Nikon Bolt for scope. Mission quiver very good quality but only holds 3 arrows. Better bargains out there if you look around. For 299.00 I think you can do much better than the pkg deal

#3 ·
I had a MXB 360 but would buy a 320 if I ever get another Mission it's a sweet xbow. I bought it used with the Hunter package, I use a hip quiver so didn't use the quiver or mount, didn't think much of the Mission arrows either. Another vote for bare bow and buy your own accessories, you'll end up with better stuff for the same money or less. I suggest you shoot one before buying, I couldn't get used to standing on the riser to cock it, it always seemed like it pulled to one side. It didn't seem to affect the accuracy though.

#5 ·
My local shop only had an MBX 360, that is my reference so far. If the 320 is anything like the 360 when cocking and overall balance, the 320 should be great; plus I like the shorter 320 overall length for the ground blind. I plan to visit another shop a little out of town this weekend that is a Mathews dealer.

The biggest hurdle seems like the quiver; would like a quick detach 4 bolt quiver. Any suggestions for a manufacturer and a special mount if needed?

#6 ·
Go bare. The hunter scope sucks! You can get 1/2 dozen BEE's for around $50. In my opinion the only good thing in the package is the quiver. If you like the claw type removable quiver just order the bracket. Any 3 or 5 arrow T quiver will fit the bracket and the bow. They can usually be found on ebay at a savings. You will find many better scope options outside of a package.

#9 ·
I have done it both ways. Give me a shout when you decide what bow and I'l tell you what has worked for me. I use both Jerry's and Wyverne's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.