Thread: Calibrating Hansen Bow scale

Calibrating Hansen Bow scale

I was wondering if anyone has a way to calibrate their Hansen scales. When I got mine new it was 3 pounds off with a 50 pound weight hanging on it was reading 53 pounds . I turned the adjustment screw until the scale read 50 . Is this the only way to calibrate them? I notice that as you weigh heavier it gets less accurate. I know we only use them as a referance but anyone else have any imput? The archery programs rely on accurate puondage readings. Any thoughts? 2cam

If you are interested in accuracy on the scale, it sounds like you have done the best that can be done. As far as using the Archery Program, If you are making sight tapes and want the most accurate, get 2 Velocity readings at different ranges. Like at the bow and at 40 yards. These bow scales are only spring types, not much better than bathroom scales. They are not trade legal , I believe, but still pretty good. How the bow is pulled on or with the scale will also have an affect on accuracy. The most accurate setup I've seen was the bow locked down and then a pulley setup pulled the scale up while it held the bow string. You could inch it without any effort or danger up and down as needed. If you just hang the scale and pull down, most times the reading will be a bit heavier.

Target Archer, If you just pull the bow straight down why would the reading be heavier?

There was a few posts on that awhile back, don't remember if it was on this board or one of the others. I think it boils down basically to the weight of the bow and pulling down. Don't know the exact physics involved. Maybe someone else will jump in and explain it better.

The weight of the bow is included.
    Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner.

In the event this post was worthless. Be happy I bumped up yours.

If you hook the string to the scales and pull down with the bow (which most people do) you will get an accurate reading of the bow's poundage. If you hook the bow's riser to the scales and pull down with the string you will get a reading of bow poundage plus the weight of the bow.
    As far as calibibrating, I use the heaviest known weight to hang on the scales and adjust accordingly. Then double check with a lighter known weight. It's easier for me to fine tune the scales at 75 or 80 lbs. vs. 20 or 25.
    Toddbow