Thread: do screw in tree steps harm trees

do screw in tree steps harm trees

I was thinking about buying a bunch of screw in tree steps and putting them in a bunch of areas where I hunt, so that I can be more mobile. This year I only put effort into one good area, I would like to have more options, but I don't know if the steps cause alot of harm to trees or if their very safe.

I have put screw in pegs in the same trees for 15 straight years on onw farm I hunt. No damage yet. I do pull them out every season though.

As for being safe? They are as safe as you make them. Wear a harness going up, and coming down.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

I don't think they harm the trees if you take them out.
    If you leave them in they might snap off when you try to unscrew them.
    But even then I think the only damage that would do is if the tree was cut for lumber, it might devalue some.

As far as safety, I never liked them.
    But I have big feet that I could never really get to fit on them.

But man if you fall, one of those things could cut your stomach right open.
    Or even worse, you could do some serious damage to your manhood.

Reply to subject

Quote Originally Posted by E1oufan
    I was thinking about buying a bunch of screw in tree steps and putting them in a bunch of areas where I hunt, so that I can be more mobile. This year I only put effort into one good area, I would like to have more options, but I don't know if the steps cause alot of harm to trees or if their very safe.
    -------------
    Hello
    I have used a lot of screw in tree steps. Never seen a tree die from them.

Now there is one brand of tree step,where you first put the screw in and slide the step over the bolt. And remove a few steps to keep some one from climbing up and stealing your stand .Or at least make it harder for them to get to your stand.

Now heres the problem that upsets people that own a woods.

Say he lets a hunter put up steps in the tree.And later there not removed or break off. And like the one i decribe above, just the bolt gose in to the tree.
    Now if this is left in the tree. And he sells any tember it will ruin the log or at l least part of the log. Now say at the saw mill this expensive saw blade hits that bolt or broken off piece of steel. Then he might loose his blade.

So if iam putting in steps.I try to find a tree that has very little value.

I had a tree eat my chain , unsnap the lock and eat part of the lock. And part of a nee brace I had atached to my home made stand.

Several -several years went by. A guy came to see me.Wanted me to loan him a stand.I said I will give you one.,Thinkging he might just add a board to it.Well when we got to the tree no board , and the tree ate the rest the nee brace of metal, sticking out of the tree.

Now thats a yarn.But its true.
    Unk
    Last edited by Unk Bond; December 2nd, 2005 at 07:09 PM.

I don't think its a question of killing a tree....but I was told that it would decrease the value of the timber (if you chose to cut it down)......especially in wood that was used for finished products like Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by silverback
    I don't think they harm the trees if you take them out.
    If you leave them in they might snap off when you try to unscrew them.
    But even then I think the only damage that would do is if the tree was cut for lumber, it might devalue some.

As far as safety, I never liked them.
    But I have big feet that I could never really get to fit on them.

But man if you fall, one of those things could cut your stomach right open.
    Or even worse, you could do some serious damage to your manhood.
    yea and then after you are missing your manhood you would make the face that the gorilla is in your avatar...

Quote Originally Posted by daspope
    yea and then after you are missing your manhood you would make the face that the gorilla is in your avatar...
    Yeah, the last thing I want to do when I'm out in the woods is spend the day picking up my marbles.

Ask permission before hand. The land owner would not appreciate lag holes in a harvestable piece of timber (oak, walnut). I know this from experience.
    Good Luck

MEANV LIFETIME STAFFER,,,,,H&M BOWSTRINGS STAFFER,,,,,USSA MEMBER
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred_
    "Why don't you tie a kerosene-soaked rag around your ankles so the ants won't climb up and eat your candy ass..." - Dale Earnhardt, 1997

I wonder how much 1 large tree would bring in

too bad they take so long to grow.

Could you use a climbing stand to be more versatile? I have a bad back and I love my Summit!
    NRA Hunters Rights Site *HSUS Watchdog Site* Join the USSA <- click here
    As of 12/31/2010, HSUS had a net worth of $187.5 million. - They want to stop ALL hunting ! GET INVOLVED TO STOP THEM!
    NJ Hunters, Join The NJ Outdoor Alliance - Click Here http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/ for more info

Screw-ins

I had a forestry professer tell me they want harm the tree, but any left in the tree can create damage/danger in the sawing process. I've seen several lease agreements that specifically prohibit spikes or screw in steps with the threat of immediate termination of the lease if any are found on their (Timber Co.) property.
    I still think screw-ins (EZY specifically) offer better versatility and stealth than any of the climbing alternatives. I have known guys that required stitches to sew up gashes they created during accidents though. These injuries were to the groin and jaw area and obviously could have been far more serious. The older I get, the more I appreciate my LW climber.

Screw in steps

Our lease, you can't use screw in's except if it's on a oak tree. We lease from a timber company that grows pines. That is ok by me I don't climb S.Ga pines any way. to slick and noisy and no cover unless you are 80 feet up..
    Twisted Archer Strings Staff Shooter

Thanks for the help I don't really have to worry about the trees being used for timber in the area I hunt. I thought about a climber, but that seems like alot of work I hear you have to have a real straight tree to hang them in. My dad has climbing sticks, but I hate using them. I think I'll use the screw in tree steps and be real careful, and remove them at the end of the season

the new climbers are quick and quiet,
    and I have managed to get up some pretty gnarly trees.

Perhaps not the best idea, but it had put bone on the ground once or twice

Blackjacks and Post Oaks

Quote Originally Posted by E1oufan
    Thanks for the help I don't really have to worry about the trees being used for timber in the area I hunt. I thought about a climber, but that seems like alot of work I hear you have to have a real straight tree to hang them in. My dad has climbing sticks, but I hate using them. I think I'll use the screw in tree steps and be real careful, and remove them at the end of the season
    Blackjacks, Post Oaks and climbers don't work too good here in Oklahoma, do they.

Northern Pa., NW corner of Bradford County
    I wonder how much 1 large tree would bring in
    Here in Pa. a nice sized Cherry can bring into the 1000's,.. yep just for one.

The screws them self may not hurt but they can provide an entrance for insects and desease. Especially in pine trees as Pine Bores can get inside and they will kill a stand of mature pines rather quickly.

Here in Pa. you can't use anything on State land that damages beneath the bark.

Make sure you get the screw in steps ALL the way in !! I just bought some climbing sticks and thought I was going to kill myself before I got it secured to the tree !! Had an old Baker climber that sent me to the bottom of the tree FAST more than once ! Sucks to have to climb back up to get your BOW !

Just remember anything you use to get off the ground will try to throw you to the ground and hurt you !
    SAFETY HARNESS

Hey BC are you all healed up yet ? Tell us the story so we can learn from it , or maybe you have , if so tell us so we can read it !
    Staff Shooter Outback Archery , Marshall , Mo. Thanks MoBow#1 and Hoyt !
    Its not easy to shoot a pig in the dark !
    Beware of what you PM ! The trees have Eyes !
    Rockin Rooster Bow Strings
    X and nothing but the X that is the answer !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4X-24 BOB
    Hey BC are you all healed up yet ? Tell us the story so we can learn from it , or maybe you have , if so tell us so we can read it !
    Hi Bob, I am doing better than the doctors figured I would! I have already regained about 85% range of motion, and they tell me that when they turn me loose on heavy weights I will get 100% of strength back.

I did pretty much describe my fall, but, here goes......

Got to an old hang on stand about 45 minutes before first light. I knew this stand was on my farm, but I did not hang it, and I did not know how long it was there.(years) I could not attach my climbing belt because the tree started out with two trunks going up. About 6 feet off the ground I stopped and thought....I can put my climbing belt on. I looked up and could se the stand only 4 or 5 feet above my head, so I figured....I don`t need to hook the climbing belt to go up two more tree steps. BIG MISTAKE! The next peg I grabbed pulled out of the tree slicker than hot butter. Now remember, I am only 6-7 feet in the air. My first thought was those razor sharp tree steps. I tried to get away from the tree by kicking at it, but no luck. I guess subconsciously I was using my arms to try and grab something, I don`t know?

Anyway, a treestep caught me in my left tricep, went in straight to the bone, then came around and cliped off one head on my bicep. After getting 2/3 through the second head of my bicep the step bottomed out on my armpit. After that it just came straight up and severed that muscle that connects the deltoid to the chest muscle. I landed on my feet, and for about two seconds I thought that maybe I was OK. Then I could feel the blood running into my pants already. After a quick check with the flashlight I stuffed my bicep back into the hole and tried to slow the bleeding, but I could not slow it down. At this point I honestly figured I was done. I could not get my buddies on the radio, as they were not in their stands yet, and their radios were in their backpacks. After a short time to think things over, I decided to slowly head back to my pickup truck. I am pretty sure that the decision to SLOWLY and calmly walk out is what saved me. I walked about 800-900 yards back to the truck, still no answer on the radio. I drove my truck about 500 yards to where my buddies parked. Still no answer on the radio. I figured that I did not have enough blood left to drive myself 20 miles to the hospital, so I fired up my 4-wheeler, which was in the barn where my buddies parked, and rode it up the bluff to where they were hunting. By the time they got to me, it was almost light out. They rushed me to the local hospital. I was just about out of blood by the time we got there. After getting some blood and Moriphin(sp) in me, they took me by ambulance to a bigger town, Quincy, Illinois. Some more blood, then into reconstructive surgery. BTW, I have since been back to that hospital several times, and I made it a point to personally thank everybody that helped me there. I have nevr had such great treatment in a hospital, and unfortunately, I have been in a few of them before.

The bottom line is...I made several mistakes that morning.
    1. Climbing into a stand I did not hang, or was not familiar with.
    2. Not using my climbing belt at the FIRST possible opportunity.
    3. Not insisting to my hunting buddies that we have radios on before we leave the trucks.

I was very lucky, and I figure that I used up my quota of luck on that one.

The good news is......I will be at the 2006 BRS looking for some signed crispies!!!
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

Thanks Big Country . I hunt by myself 90% of the time , so stories like yours stick in my head when I am out hunting . Keeps me from doing stupid stuff, 10 years ago I would of done !

I have been savin money for the BRS shoot cause WR has been buyin up bows tryin to find the perfect one , MoBuck put his golf clubs up and committed his life to archery , the HOOD is well the HOOD and now if you are lifting, you wont stop when you get back to 100% you will be stronger than before and Arkysaw has always been unbeatable !!! I had better sell one of my bows just to have enough crispies to go around . May even have to pay one to that midget BUG from arkansas if her and MAMA are brave enough to show , after the whoopin they took last year !!

Didnt mean to hyjack ! Got to wrighting and couldnt shut up . Just call me HOOD JR. !

Screw in steps dont hurt trees, they are hard on saw blades like others have said. Also it is possible to spread disease from tree to tree if you use your steps in different locations