Thread: Pictures of my broken pedicle buck European mount

Pictures of my broken pedicle buck European mount

Hey Folks,
    Here are some pictures I just took of my European mount of the buck I took this year. It shows how really unique these antlers are.
    If you look closely you can see a small nub off of the downward facing tine. This nub was really pressing into the tissue around his eye. It had to be painful for this guy to make a rub.

All said and done I think the project turned out pretty good. I skinned and fleshed the skull, then boiled it for 5 1/2 hrs. I used the garden hose to spray off the chunks as they loosened.
    I had to wait a week for some sunshine so I could peroxide bleach it. I used normal drugstore 3% peroxide and set it in the sun in a small plastic tub. Every half hour for 3 hrs I would take a paper towel soaked in the peroxide and squeeze more peroxide onto the skull to keep it wet.
    I wrapped the antlers in cling wrap so they wouldn't get bleached out with the skull.

Bowtech Admiral 70lb 29"
    Whisker Biscuit, Timberline No-Peep, Smooth Stability Stablizer,
    Sword Twilight Hunter,Easton Lightspeed w/ Blazers 348gr. w/ 100 gr. Gators

Certainly a unique whiteltail, that made a really cool skull mount. My Daughter shot one that's somewhat similar, I'm going to take it to a local taxidermist that has the Dermisted Beetles. Thanks for sharing the pics

Here's her buck
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

Cool deer Cornfed. Must be an Illinois thing.
    Bowtech Admiral 70lb 29"
    Whisker Biscuit, Timberline No-Peep, Smooth Stability Stablizer,
    Sword Twilight Hunter,Easton Lightspeed w/ Blazers 348gr. w/ 100 gr. Gators

Happens in Louisiana too. Must be a fairly common injury. This deer actually had a healed over skull fracture. It would have been interesting to see ho whis rack progressed as he aged. This one had a pretty good start considering what he went through. I shot him as a cull, I had never seen such a thing before. I don't think he was any older than 2.5. His body weight, 125#, indicated a 1.5 year old deer, but that could have been a result form his injury. I will see if I can find the field photos I have of him. It was a gun kill though.
    8pts and a 22" spread LOL. At least he sounded awesome on the kill sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashadow315
    Happens in Louisiana too. Must be a fairly common injury. This deer actually had a healed over skull fracture. It would have been interesting to see ho whis rack progressed as he aged. This one had a pretty good start considering what he went through. I shot him as a cull, I had never seen such a thing before. I don't think he was any older than 2.5. His body weight, 125#, indicated a 1.5 year old deer, but that could have been a result form his injury. I will see if I can find the field photos I have of him. It was a gun kill though.
    8pts and a 22" spread LOL. At least he sounded awesome on the kill sheet.

yeah 22" spread does sound good