Archery Talk Forum banner

Does Scent-Lok really work?

9K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  87Missouri 
#1 ·
Or Scent Blocker , or any other scent eliminating clothing? Give me your opinions and experiences please. Flingr

#3 ·
I see it as silver vs. charcoal.

Most scent emiminating clothing uses the charcoal theory - absorb the odor.

X-scent (silvermax and others like it) - use silver fiber technology to kill the bacteria that causes odor.

This question has been on here sooo many times its no longer funny. However I will vote for silver, to me it makes more sense.

#4 ·
I might be wrong but...

I thought the silver based clothes work by killing only odors of bacterial origin. So if you are using the silver you won’t smell like BO. But that it would not capture other scents from your hair for example. Where as the carbon/ charcoal clothes would just capture any scent?

Is this the case?

#6 ·
Scent blocker

All I can say is this year I have had no less than 150 deer with in bow range both from a stand and on the ground. I think my Scent Blocker suites have had a lot to do with that. I have been very selective this year but having all the close encounters have made this an awesome year. One time that sticks out for me, I was in the middle of a dead fall and I was completely surrounded on all sides by 7 doe the closest one was less than 10 feet from me. They browsed for probably 15 minutes and never knew I was there. That was exciting, although it sucked because I couldn't move it was truly a great experience. For me that what this is all about.

#7 ·
I know for a fact that it works. This year was a good example. The picture of the buck that I have on my profile and avatar came in directly down wind of me about 80 yrds. Made a scrape and played around with the tree branches for about 2 minutes or so. I thought for sure that he was gonna smell me and take off. I got him into 20 yrds for the shot and he never had a clue that I was there. I wear scent loc suits and have been wearing them religiously for about 10 yrs now. I will not hunt without a scent loc suit on anymore. I have had to many situation where I have had a deer come in down wind and either gave me a shot or were close enough to shoot. I'm a big believer.

#8 ·
My son shares Buckhunter's ideas.Would not leave home without his scent blocker suit.He talked me into spending the big money for one.Nice outer garment,but I don't think it works as good as it should.Wash in scent free soap and keep down wind of the deer.Save your money.

#9 ·
Had to sit in ground stands the last 2 times I hunted (gun). Had a nubie at 10 feet down wind, a doe at 5 feet and a nine pointer that scores 135 6/8 at 35 yards all directly down wind. The doe saw me and slowly bounded off. Nine pointer came out a minute later. The doe finally snorted after 5 minutes and the buck bounded off. Only he stopped and looked back at a 100 yards, game over. I love my suppresent (discontinued) and scent loc. Just make sure you take care of your personal hygeine as well.

#11 ·
Duck65 said:
I seen something about a guy that hugs and rubs goats for cover scent. :hug: Maybe good if your on a budget?:santa:
I wash my clothing in baking soda and keep stored in trash bag. I always use Scent Killer, great stuff.:thumbs_up

#14 ·
Got 3bucks in W.VA. and a 9 pointer in Pa. this year wearing my dream season scent blocker suit over a scent loc savanna coverall suit . Seen lots of bucks (mostly in W.VA.)and never got winded by any of them, including does and a coyote i shot this year in Bedford Co. Pa. .My cousins call me a scent blocker freak . But next year they said they all will be using the same stuff im using this year.I like both suits , but i like the scent blocker a little better.Mostly because i think the sb stuff is made better.

#15 ·
to a point

It will adsorb odors until it gets filled up. Then your stuck with a bag of stink.

Even while it does adsorb odors it can't get the most potent ones that are coming off your head and breath.

I see plenty and kill plenty without the carbon; and yes even deer downwind.

Buy a treestand with that $.

HUNT SAFE !!!. . .:)

#16 ·
I own lots of scent-lok. I was very cautious even while using it and followed a strenuos routine of scent control. I STILL got busted several times. It may help, but is not the answer to all your problems. However, I feel that the X-scent and other brands like it are the real deal. I have x-scent socks and after a long day of sweating in them, no sign ANY foot odor. There's proof enough for me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.