Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grandpawrichard's woodworking projects

Burlington, Washington ( Northwestern corner of the Evergreen state)

Arrow grandpawrichard's woodworking projects

Hey guys and gals,
    I ran into some older 35 mm. photos of a few of my older woodworking projects, so I scanned them, lightened them up a little and then I saved them to upload to photobucket so that I can show them off.
    I think that after the first of the year and the ATA show I'm going to do a bunch more woodworking. I didn't realize until I got to making the little 3D raindeer how much I enjoyed scrollsawing and how much I missed it. I also miss the extra money that my creations brought in.
    All the little lines that you see in the items are saw cuts. Look especially close at the fire truck. That truck took me 18 hours to cut out.
    So here's the first of the photos:

Dick
    2 Canon, 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash

Arrow

here's a few more:

Dick
    2 Canon, 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash

Arrow

I see that I got one in upside down in the first batch. Sorry about that. It is supposed to show a butterfly flying over some roses.

Here's the last of the photos:

I hope that you enjoyed looking at the fruits of my hobby.

Dick

Those are really nice GPR.... I really like the one with the moose...

Tell me when you start to make stuff to sell..i still want a set of those Washington Raindeer..and now I'm interested in some more stuff (not for christmas of course, too early). Good lordy lord thats some fine workmanship!

Very nice, thank you for sharing with us

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by STSmansdaughter
    Tell me when you start to make stuff to sell..i still want a set of those Washington Raindeer..and now I'm interested in some more stuff (not for christmas of course, too early). Good lordy lord thats some fine workmanship!
    I will be starting on a set of the Raindeer for you tomorrow. If you still want them. I should be able to ship them by the first couple of days next week.

If you still want them, I take PayPal if you want to do it. Send me a PM and we'll negotiate.

Dick

Nice work GPR , Ever wood burn , There's a link on my quoe for a woodburning site. My friends father does them. Retired with an Adirondack inspiration. Cant ask for more than that , unless the fridge is empty of the cold one's.

HOLY GEEZZZ you are the master

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone! It takes a fair eye, a steady hand and lots of time and patience to do some of those plaques. Every little line that you see is not a line done with a pencil it is a line made with a scroll saw blade not much bigger in diameter than a human hair.

The scroll saw used to be my stress relief when I came home from a day of work and the stress of having up to 60 men working for me. I enjoyed it back then and now that I have been messing with it again I have rekindled that old love affair with it.

Looks like after the ATA show I'll be doing more Scroll sawing and then selling the projects. We don't have any more room on the walls of the house for more plaques. Besides that, the extra cash can help support my archery addiction!

saranac,
    I have done some wood burning, but I never got into it like I did the scroll saw. I have seen some real artistic work done with a wood burner though! Awesome stuff!

Dick

Very nic GPR. I like woodworking but I have my leather and knives and art to deal with so can't do everything. You do great stuff!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Excellent craftmanship GPR.

Very nice looking work.

I can tell by the detail in your work, you're a very patient man.
    Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

Greg

GPR - very impressive. Must be nice to be talented!

Hey GPR, when are you gonna start sending out your famous targets again? Mine is back in Michigan, wouldn't fit in my truck the last time I was up there, still looks like brand new though. Maybe this year I'll have room to fit it in so I can bring it back to Georgia.
    Patrick Reinhardt
    BowTech Archery - Corporate Staff
    Last Chance Archery - Makers of the EZ Press and Power Press - The Original and Patented
    The real life Carl Spackler.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

spectre is gonna be jealous of all that wood ...
    myarcheryclub.com

I opened this thread thinking I was going to see a coffee table or footstool.
    GPR-I am very impressed, those are simply awesome!!
    Hartl's Custom Grips-HCG
    Rallybats

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the compliments! I really enjoy the woodworking and I plan to do a bunch more of in the coming year. Heck, I might even sell a bunch of it thru the classified ads here on AT.

Hey Patrick,
    I'm not going to make any more of the 3D targets. The material costs went thru the roof and the shipping costs just about put me in the poor house. Glad to hear that yours is still holding up and that you still enjoy it! Did the arrows ever get easier to pull? Would you believe I have never made one of those 3D targets for my range yet?

STSmansdaughter,
    You have a PM Sweetie! Hurry up and answer it! So I can get back out to my shop.

Tronjo,
    Thanks! I'll have to dig up a few more of my photos and post them for you to see. These are just the tip of the iceberg.

Dick

GPR, your second picture of the bowl that collapses would bring my wife to tears. Her Grandparants had one of these. They both passed away within the last 1 1/2 yrs and she was give it. The bowl fell off the China Cabinet and broke and she was devestated. I tried to fix it the best I could but...

Can you please PM with prices of the bowl and the signs like the one with the horses. Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by D_Hunter
    GPR, your second picture of the bowl that collapses would bring my wife to tears. Her Grandparants had one of these. They both passed away within the last 1 1/2 yrs and she was give it. The bowl fell off the China Cabinet and broke and she was devestated. I tried to fix it the best I could but...

Can you please PM with prices of the bowl and the signs like the one with the horses. Thanks
    I'll sure do that as soon as I get a chance! Gotta get to the shop right now and get some projects finished asap!

Dick

those are some fine pieces of art GPR very nice and absolutely beautiful

Very nice work GPR!!! I used to do scroll saw stuff before the kids came along and started taking up my time...come to think of it, I used to do a lot of things before the kids came along ...course, I do enjoy every moment with them...well, almost every moment with them I used to do ornaments every Christmas...seeing your pics has gotten me thinking of dragging the scroll saw back out and dusting it off...

...sell stuff you say...dang, I've been giving everything away... Everyone tells me I should sell the stuff...course, they always say that AFTER I gave them their stuff...but I'm afraid that once I started doing it to sell, it would become more a a job than a hobby...now I'm thinking I may have to rethink

Here's a pic of one of the few things I still have...although this one is from Easter...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Found a couple of critters left over...used to make bunches of these for kids, etc...all different types of animals...these are the last survivors...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did some drawings for a woodworker in Michigan (Bloomingdale) of a mining shovel. He originally built church pews for a living. He built a bulldozer model, entered it into a contest and won 1st place. Now, all he does is build 1/16th scale wooden construction and mining equipment.
    He is currently building the mining shovel, and I guess he should be about 80% finished. The tracks are made up of 1316 pieces and actually work. The drive sprocket has the bolt heads installed. He has done the upper body, boom, stick and a portion of the bucket (it may be finished now, it has been a while since I received one of his e-mails). He turns his own dowel stock, then cuts them into small pieces, mitering each one, then glues the pieces back together to make the various bends in the railings.
    He told me that he usually has around 700 - 800 hours in a model. Some of his other models, specifically a semi truck, a lowboy trailer and a Caterpillar
    D-11 bulldozer sold for $68,000. His shovel has taken him over 2100 hours so far, so I am guessing that he will sell it for over $100,000. The guy that bought the other models, wants this too.
    I would like to post some of the pictures, but I don't know how. Maybe if I can send them by e-mail to someone here (Grandpa Richard maybe), they could post them for me, provided that I can attach the pictures to the e-mail.
    Anyone willing to help here has my thanks in advance. You will be amazed at the level of detail that he puts into the models.
    Regards, Colin

Thumbs up

Colin,
    I would be honored to post the photos for you. Heck, I'll do the photo editing, write you detailed instructions on how to do it yourself and then send you the instructins to post the photos!

I'm a Retired Heavy Construction Laborer, so I love to look at model construction equipment!

Send the photos to raymondsarcheryshack@yahoo.com and I'll get 'er done for you!

imanut2,
    You did some mighty nice work too my friend! Tole Painting was never one of my favorite things to do! I used to make all those layered animals for my grandkids too! I still have all the patterns!

Dick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast