Archery Talk Forum banner

Ants in my cam ? What the

3K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  FearNot 
#1 ·
So I went to check on my camera yesterday and opened up my primos truth 40 camera and it had a ton of ants in it. I took it home and noticed it wasn't taking pics for the last month. The trophy rock that I have 20 yds. away, the ground around it us all beat up....but I can't see what deer are doing it. I pulled my card and it had 350 pics on it...but no pics from may 28 to yesterday. Its a 2gb card, could it be full and that be the reason why no pics were taken for a month?
Seems for a 2 GB card that it would take way note pics. Great pics, clear and good trigger speed.

#2 ·
I cleaned out the ants and its crap that was in the cam. I'm going to put the batts back in tonight. The batt. level was at 45% after 4 months. The batts are the d cell panasonics that cost me $1.69 for a 2 pack.

#3 ·
Yes, the card could be full, the ants could have destroyed the inside as they have been known to do it...sorry, hope it isn't a permanent failure.

Joe

#7 ·
Not exactly. Rain falls down, so as long as the camera isn't upside down it will likely be water resistant...ants however can get through anything...and they like the heat in the cavity of a camera (or target, or blind, etc.). I normally sprinkled the ant killer around the base of the tree where I put them...Ant Shield for instance...good luck.

#9 ·
Good info!
I had it in deep woods without ants. I moved it to a corner stand where there is corn and soybeans....but the ants were awful.
I'm going to guess that the cam is ruined....just because I just cant believe a 2gb card can only hold 350 pics

#10 ·
I get them every year if I forget to put a drop of poison inside the camera. They ruined a cudde a couple years ago, but I was lucky enough it was still under warranty and got it replaced. Just had my Moultri 990 full, pulled batteries, shook out ants and eggs, and then left it open in the sun. Put it back out and has worked (knock on wood). They are re-zealous little creatures.

#14 ·
good luck - wouldn't be surprised if you get the..."not a warranty issue" response...hope I am wrong.

Joe

#18 ·
hard to say without seeing it and determining exactly what is wrong. The thing about commercial units is that they really aren't a "camera" in the true sense of the word. Commercial manufacturers tend to build their circuitry, add low-level image processor and lens to the circuit. That is part of the reason why the trigger response times on commercial cams are typically faster than homebrews. In a homebrew the camera and circuit board are completely separate. The board detects the heat/motion change, triggers the cam to power on, shutter a pic, and power down.

If they give you the run around, I'd be glad to take a look at it for you. No promises on a successful return, but at that point there is likely not much left to lose.

Are home brews more sealed?
I'd like to think so, but I have had ants get into mine a few times over the years so it is tough to say. Biggest difference though, as I mentioned above, if they get into a homebrew and screw it up in some way, there is a very good chance that it is something that can be repaired or have a few pieces replaced, that is if you are working with a reputable builder who stand behind their work.

This unit was repaired for about $60.....

Before

During

After...

a little bigger than an ant:wink:

#20 ·
If you are referring to me looking at it...that would be your call, some tell me to trash it others want it returned in which case the only charge would be for return shipping...

If you are referring to the company - sometimes and it really does depend on the representative you get connected with on this issue - they will offer you a discount on a newer unit. Not sure what they do with the bad one?

Joe

#22 ·
Send it in, worse they will say is No. Then buy a homebrew :-D I have not really had an issue with ants. Check the tree you are putting your cam on. Only once did I go to check a cam and found the tree was a travel corridor for ants, they didn't get into the cam thank goodness (homebrew) but I moved that cam asap.

#26 ·
Don't put any DEET based products on your camera. I had an ant issue with one of mine last year. I had some "OFF" spray in my truck and thought "I'll fix you". I sprayed some on the bottom of my camera and put it back in the camlock box. Next time I checked the camera, I could not open the battery tray. The DEET had fused the plastic of the camera body to the battery tray. I was able to get it open at home, but had to make a new "pull" to be able to get it open down the road. I seem to have to learn the hard way sometimes...

#29 ·
This year I had my first Ants in my Security Boxes but been having Earwigs for a couple years now. Not in all but they seem to move in and leave a lot of droppings. Ask what might be good to stop them tried Bug Repellant but it peels the paint off the Security Box. heard Moth Balls but they have an odor and might have deer avoiding the area. Some suggested the Tick Spray you put on clothing, going to try that the next time I am checking cameras. Even when a Spider is move in the Earwigs are there many in the bottom of the Security Box have had to dump the box out to get them out and shake the camera to get them off of it. The ants I just knocked out the nest and they have not return yet???.

LFM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.