View Poll Results: Do You Think Deer Are Afraid of Foxes?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 16.98%
  • No

40 75.47%
  • Not Sure

4 7.55%

Thread: Fox & Deer ?

Fox & Deer ?

How many have seen a fox interact with deer in a positive way, meaning the deer was not scared of the fox.

NRA Hunters Rights Site *HSUS Watchdog Site* Join the USSA <- click here
    As of 12/31/2010, HSUS had a net worth of $187.5 million. - They want to stop ALL hunting ! GET INVOLVED TO STOP THEM!
    NJ Hunters, Join The NJ Outdoor Alliance - Click Here http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/ for more info

In my opinion no...I think old bucks will follow a foxes trail knowing it is a safe one...I've seen them do it..

I shot a grey fox feeding under a apple tree with a buck also feeding side by side with him. The fox now makes a nice full body mount in my bedroom.

I've never seen deer and fox together but I did see 3 does and 2 coyotes feeding under the same persimmon tree one afternoon.The deer stayed on one side of the tree and the yotes on the other,about 15 yds apart.The deer kept a pretty good eye on them but it was pretty obvious that the deer knew that the yotes were only interested in the fruit.I've seen deer and yotes in the same field together many times and the deer never seem alarmed much by them.I think a healthy deer is not on the fox or yote menu very often,at least here in TN.Out west it may be a totally different ballgame

Fox Cost me a Huge Buck

Several years ago while hunting on a Texas ranch, a fox spooked a large 10 point that was on a trail coming near my stand. It took some time to get over that one. I can still see the scene unfold in my mind to this day and it's been over 10 years ago.

The buck high tailed it out of there and the fox continued on it's line of travel without paying much attention to the deer. Now the buck could have spooked at the sound of the fox running but you would think that once it realized it was a fox it would not have continued to run off.

I would hate to think that my luck was so bad that the only buck afraid of foxes was the one I almost had in my shooting distance.

15 or so years ago I used fox urine on my boots.

I had this guy trail me to my stand..

I've only seen two foxes while hunting. Both times was during turkey season and foxes came to my calling.
    Coming to a creek bottom near you.
    Pope and Young-Card carrying member and proud

A few years ago while on my stand I had a Red Fox and a fawn playing tag with each other for 15 minute or so under me while mom (the doe) watched. So no I don't think they view them as a threat except when they are dropping fawns in the spring.

the only fox my husband ever saw hunting he killed, so we don't know. We don't like foxes, they kill the baby rabbits

I've seen deer feeding calmly as foxes (both gray and red, different times) worked a stone wall within 20-30 yards of them, upwind. The deer have never seemed all that interested in what the foxes were up to (but I was - its fascinating to watch foxes hunt.)

I SAW A RED FOX WALK IN a patch of woods and as soon he walk in two doe bolted out. 10 min later they walk back in where the fox walk into the woods. so i dont know

i know for sure a foxes nose is better then a deer. i had a doe walk right under my stand and walk away with out any thing and few hours later a fox came crossed my path and took off like i shot him. i had rubber boots, scent block on and everything else. when i saw the does i thought i was doing good until the fox came and that after about 5 hours into the woods. soon he hit the path i came he was gone
    Marty Poole
    Team # 37 - Duck or Die
    facebook.com/huntfish25 camospace.com/huntfish25
    SHOOT A BOWTECH 05 ALLEGIANCE DUALLY 80bls XX78 2219 29" ARROW WITH 125 MUZZY 3 BLADE BROAD HEAD. 590G AT 263FPS 91 KE's 20 yards - 80 yards

I've seen a fox startle deer and cause them to bolt, but I've also seen deer pay no attention whatsoever to a fox working past them. I think that if the deer aren't skittish and the fox doesn't surprise them, they coexist pretty well. I agree, during the season for dropping fawns things probably change.

A friend of mine and I both saw a doe laying on the ground with a fox laying maybe two feet away. They seemed fine in one another's presence. Now we, on the other hand, were a different story. When the fox spotted us they got up and ran two different directions. It's the only time I've seen this, but I'll never forget it.

This year

on two seperate occasions I watched as a fox ran all over doing what foxes do as multiple deer were bedded down less than 7 yards from the fox.

I've never really seen a fox and deer together or nearby until this year, but they didn't seem to care one bit.