Archery Talk Forum banner

PSE Fang scope

28K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  HunterAndrew 
#1 ·
I keep reading about the scope on the Fang as being junk. Just how bad is it? Anybody still using the Fang with the installed scope? I am going to be buying the Fang this year and would like to know if the scope is usable or not.

#2 ·
The one I had the glass was terrible. like trying to look through a greased lens. You get what you pay for. The quiver is also junk and you cant use a sling with the quiver in place. the camo paint started rubbing off the first time I cocked the bow. Another thing the arrow doesnt sit down on the rail, it lifts up at the front of the arrow. My opinion there are far better bow options available for a few more dollars. I'm surprised PSE would put their name on this chinese bow. I'm sorry to be so negative about the bow, but you can do so much better though.

#3 ·
I have one and have no issues with the scope or paint falling off. I did notice the bolt doesn't sit flush out near the front but the bottom dot in my scope is dead on at 70yrds and I shoot baseball size groups at that yardage. The only 2 issues, and I don't know if I can call them issues since I only paid $289 for the thing, is the trigger and the bolts. I bought a half dozen gold tips and they shoot way better. The trigger has too much travel for me. I nice quick squeeze yields the the accuracy for me. The scope has crosshairs and dots. Under low light, I can't see the dots. If I was going to hunt with this xbow, and I am not, the scope would keep me honest about firing long bombs under low light conditions. Bottom line, for under $300, it's an effective hunting weapon that should leave some spare change in your pocket to put the scope of your choice on it. Don't sweat the bolt not laying flush out near the tip. Just like compounds and recurves, consistency is key. How the bolt lays in the track on the Fang must be consistent because it's accurate.

#4 ·
I dont have any of these issues with mine, i think its a great bow for the money, i put 3 deer down in one week last season

#8 ·
That is funny. Anyway, the yardages for most crossbow scope reticle lines are 20, 30, and 40. Just because it is a crossbow that will shoot over 300 fps it is still a short-range weapon. Anything attempted at a live animal over 50 and the shooter has no business hunting. JMHO

#9 · (Edited)
The scope is pretty bad. I immediately noticed some fish-eye and general fuzziness. The relative dimness of the scope in bright daylight leads me to believe it will offer poor light transmission. I doubt if it is nitrogen purged and I don't believe it would pass a dunk and freeze test. Bottom line, the one on my bow was barely adequate for shooting at high contrast archery targets on a bright sunny day. I wouldn't trust it for a shot at first or last light.

That said, I fully expected this on a $300 bow. PSE clearly had to cut costs somehow, and optics was one area. I ordered a 3x Hawke scope, with a non-illuminated reticle, for about $75. Plus some bolts and broad heads I found on sale will give me a decent hunting rig for just a bit over $400.

#10 ·
What's the best aftermarket scope for the Fang without breaking the bank? I'm new to cross bows, still have yet to sight it in. The camo rubbed off on the bottom of the stock, I haven't even had it a week, should have noticed it before I bought it. I may take it back or see what PSE can do. Considering the bows are backordered I might just have to live with it!

#11 ·
Hawke 3x32 with MAP reticle. Shop around and you can find it for about $75 shipped. This is what I put on my PSE Fang. Zeroed at 20, then the 30 & 40 yard reticle lines were very close to being dead on. Certainly accurate enough for shooting deer. I haven't shot it at 50 or 60 yards, but I'm guessing those reticle are accurate as well. I think the Hawke compact 3X scopes are going to be the best bang for your buck on this crossbow.

#14 ·
I shot a session with the included scope. I had read the same information, but did want to try it out. The most frustrating part for me was the poor tracking on the scope. I was shooting high and left out of the box. When I tried to adjust the scope to the right, it would move the POI to the right but it would also move it farther up. Then when I tried to adjust it down, it would also move in the horizontal. I've experienced this on cheap Simmons rifle scopes. You just can't build a scope at a certain price point and have consistent, accurate tracking.

Like I posted above, the real driver for a new scope was the dim view through the factory optic. If it was noticeable on a sunny day looking at a high contrast target, it was going to be a problem at first/last light.

I think the factory optic is okay for taking your crossbow out to get a feel for the bow and to try it out to make sure everything functions. But if you are going to hunt with it, I'd strongly recommend an upgrade. The compact Hawke's aren't going to break the bank, but they are an upgrade in every way over the factory optic.

#15 ·
I took one look through this scope and trashed it and ordered a Nikon Bolt for my Fang. It would be hard to make a killing shot early in the morning or late evening with the junk scope included with the Fang Package. Never bothered mounting it on the bow.

#16 ·
The scope that came with my fang was horrible also. I have a Hawke which i put on my PSE RDX DS and the scope that came with it went onto the fang. The PSE branded scope that comes in the RDX DS package is a very nice scope IMHO. The rope cocker will rub the hydrodip off the fang stock, although you could prevent that buy the parker redhot roller rope cocker. the tip of my arrows do stick up but it doesnt affect shot placement so i dont really care about that. Bottom line the PSE Fang is a amazing I paid 280 for mine. I have also had no problem with the quiver the whole sling thing doesnt bother me either i carried a 240B for over a year in the stan so this little xbow is a breeze to hand carry

#19 ·
I remembered where I saw similar glass to the fang scope. When I was a kid the prize in my cracker jacks was a little telescope with plastic lenses. It had the same clarity as the scope that came with the fang I had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.