Who is going to cook cabbage for the New Year

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    18,562

    Who is going to cook cabbage for the New Year

    Hello All

    Well while growing up at home. It was a tradition to cook cabbage to start the New Year.
    And place two or 3 dimes in the pot of cabbage. Now when you went to eat the cabbage, if you would be the lucky one to get a dime.It meant you would have money all year.
    PS. of cource you boiled the dimes before placeing them into the pot
    Unk

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Jamestown, KY
    Posts
    3,198
    Mmmm, cabbage. Not the new years theme...but take a cabbage, core and quarter it, wrap up the 1/4's in foil with about half a stick of butter, salt, and half a jalapeno pepper, toss that on the grill..............mmmmmmmmmmm .

  4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #3
    BEER BRATSWURST AND SOUR KRAUT

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    18,562

    Reply

    Well guys both of these sound good .But thats only for a day.

    I want a chance at my money all year

    Unk

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,094

    Blackeyed Peas is the dish...

    that we usually cook on New Years in the south. I have a bag in the freezer.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    North West Ohio
    Posts
    399
    Brats and kraut for New Years Day

    Dave

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reserved for Mr. Bill
    Posts
    19,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Unk Bond
    Hello All

    Well while growing up at home. It was a tradition to cook cabbage to start the New Year.
    And place two or 3 dimes in the pot of cabbage. Now when you went to eat the cabbage, if you would be the lucky one to get a dime.It meant you would have money all year.
    PS. of cource you boiled the dimes before placeing them into the pot
    Unk
    HMMMM I do like cabbage soup with lots of other veggies and I sure would like prosperity in 2006.....

    If we used quarters would the good fortune be larger? (Sorry, that dang question thread follows me everywhere )

    KY shooter, that sounds really good. I will have to try it "after" I seal in my prosperity for 2006!!!

    *
    The Queen of Mutantville!

    7- 2005.... ~ ~

  10. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by REDHDCHARM
    HMMMM I do like cabbage soup with lots of other veggies and I sure would like prosperity in 2006.....

    If we used quarters would the good fortune be larger? (Sorry, that dang question thread follows me everywhere )

    KY shooter, that sounds really good. I will have to try it "after" I seal in my prosperity for 2006!!!

    *
    Black eyed peas here in Bama.

    And what happens if ya swallow those dimes and quarters
    Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material

  11. #9
    Your SCAT will finally be worth something.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reserved for Mr. Bill
    Posts
    19,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Recordkeeper
    Black eyed peas here in Bama.

    And what happens if ya swallow those dimes and quarters



    You had to go and ask, now didn't ya RK??? hehehehehehe

    Does it mean you sure to .....errrrr....... money all year long?

    Instead of a "collection" plate....you might need a bed pan!!!

    *
    The Queen of Mutantville!

    7- 2005.... ~ ~

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ga.
    Posts
    4,845
    HoppinJohn. Blackeyed peas mixed with rice. The peas are cooked with Hog jowls and some of the meat needs to be in the meal. Add some turnip greens also cooked with hog jowls and cornbread and the meal is complete.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    29,544
    We will be having Black Eyed peas and cabbage tomorrow! My wife will cook it all up and we will go out to my 95 and 92 year old parents and share it with them. I don't know why I bless the food with them cause everytime I do my mother cries!
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com
    ?
    2 Sebastion Flute risers with Kaya and SF Premium Limbs 28 and 30lbs

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    29,544
    All this talk about food has made me hungry. I think I'll go make a Yankee hot dog.
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com
    ?
    2 Sebastion Flute risers with Kaya and SF Premium Limbs 28 and 30lbs

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    18,562

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by REDHDCHARM


    You had to go and ask, now didn't ya RK??? hehehehehehe

    Does it mean you sure to .....errrrr....... money all year long?

    Instead of a "collection" plate....you might need a bed pan!!!

    *
    ---------------
    Yep money dose get ones attention. Where every it ends up.

    Unk

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    18,562

    Reply

    t t

    t t

    Unk

  18. #16
    My mother-in-law is making corned beef and cabbage. She says it's for good luck. I'm pretty excited about the beef.





    The only Benado that likes the beef.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sand Springs, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,887
    Black eyed pea's here. I didn't eat them last year and the end of 2005 was kinda rough. I'm not making that mistake again.

  20. #18
    Yep!! I did the cabbage thing for new years it is wrapped in the tin foil with butter and Cavenders along with some corn and deer tenderloins...Mmmmmm Good!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Silver State
    Posts
    4,844
    If memory serves the tradition is cabbage, black eyed peas and hog jowel or ham hock. It is thought that eating this humble and "poor" meal will ensure prosperity throughout the remainder of the year.

    That being said- I am not, I can't get the family talked into it ... but when I have my own household, that will be our New Years meal.
    Martin Archery Silver Star Shooter 2006
    Archerytalk Poster Team Member 2007

    Martin Cougar, Martin Stick, Internature recurve
    Mutant number 84

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    18,562

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by cfuhrer
    If memory serves the tradition is cabbage, black eyed peas and hog jowel or ham hock. It is thought that eating this humble and "poor" meal will ensure prosperity throughout the remainder of the year.

    That being said- I am not, I can't get the family talked into it ... but when I have my own household, that will be our New Years meal.
    ---

    I here ya Stay young your in no hurry to jump on the spit of life.


    Now that grill above. Sure makes ones mouth water. Yum

    Happy New Year all.

    Unk] the under study. Of lifes many blessings.

  23. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NE Arkansas
    Posts
    841
    Black eyed peas and hog jowl is what my Grandma always fixes. Won't be cooking now cabbage in my house, make it stink all year.

  24. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    18,562

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Unk Bond
    Hello All

    Well while growing up at home. It was a tradition to cook cabbage to start the New Year.
    And place two or 3 dimes in the pot of cabbage. Now when you went to eat the cabbage, if you would be the lucky one to get a dime.It meant you would have money all year.
    PS. of cource you boiled the dimes before placeing them into the pot
    Unk

    -----
    Well that dime is already working.Money is starting to come in.

    Unk in the 3rd dimension

  25. #23
    Some type of Cabbage Cassarol and black eye peas here.

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Macon, Ga.
    Posts
    3,323
    In Middle Ga. it is collards/mustards, I prefer smoked hocks to season, Black-eyed peas(smoked hock) And some good ol' greasy cornbread(egg bread). I was always told the greens gave you cash and the peas gave you change. I like it that's all that I know!

Similar Threads

  1. cook it how
    By buckson in forum Wild Game Cooking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
  2. Cabbage 14
    By Pepper in forum Old Traders Feedback & Trader's Blacklist
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM
  3. Cabbage 14
    By Pepper in forum Old Traders Feedback & Trader's Blacklist
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
  4. Who do you cook like?
    By 7sdad in forum Mutantville
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2005, 08:46 AM
  5. Venison Cabbage Rolls
    By Bluegrass in forum Wild Game Cooking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2005, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •