Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinks 69 does it scare deer more than attract deer

Tinks 69 does it scare deer more than attract deer

I am wonder something. I bottle a bottle of Tinks 69 and put it on a drag line and hung it up in a tree. The does couldnt have busted out of there FASTER. i had a small spike buck cruiseing and he EVEN busted out of there really fast. Anyone have the same response to this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss of Death
    I am wonder something. I bottle a bottle of ...
    I are wondering something too.
    2007 Bowtech Tribute 60#
    Limbdriver, HHA Optimizer Lite 5019
    Rage two-blade, Goldtip XT hunters 5575 Black
    Line #4 for rent

i wonder what tink has to say about this...

When did you put the scents out? Was the rut done? The scent won't seem natural to them if used at the wrong times. Also if there is a mature buck in the area a little boy like that and not in heat does will avoid a hot doe at times to stay away from the rutting big boy.
    Vermont State Let's Go Fishing Instructor
    Vermont Bowhunting Safety Instructor
    "Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it." TR
    TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

the rut was in full the next day i was out there about 40 yrds away from the spot i hung the scent i took it down of course and sent my blind up in the new location and i saw alot of BIG bucks runin after does one 20 yrds but it just kept running never gave me the shoot

Question Tinks # 69 Doe is Rut BUCK Lure is designed to attract Bucks

Does are wary of any female estrous because it means they will be deer sex goign on Most doe deer are suspicious Tinks # 69 or any estrous Buck Lure

If you want to kill Doe I Recommend Tinks # 1 Doe P Deer scent made from non estrous does

It calms deer for easy close in shot

If you were not carefully in plac ing the scent, then it was human scent that spooked the buck & the doe.

What methods did you use to control your human scent?

Doe deer seldom run from estrous scent they just boogie away looking behind them.

I have been trying get on AT for 2 day to post that Red Dot Just shot her Second Whitetail buck with bow using Tinks # 69 Doe in Rut Buck Lure

Photos to follow At the photo Processors

Happy New Year Call me at 830 634 2878 to discuss any question you may have OK

Tink

I have never had a true positive experience with scents. Tinks in particular, not that I'm bad mouthing tinks but that was my scent of choice. Several times had deer coming in and bust out of there like there was no tomorrow and yes it was the middle of the rut. I've used them in the red tinks cans, film canisters, cotton balls, scent wicks etc. with no luck. So I swore off scents ever since. Didn't mean for that to rhyme.

after trapping this year....I won't buy ANY, i repeat, ANY off the shelf crappy scents no matter WHAT the manufacturer claims.

I will only use PURE urine or attractants from locals or master lure makers.

I highly doubt from the sales numbers that the scents you get from walmart are pure.....or even FRESH.
    unless they have a million deer with bladder problems.

I think fresh scent is the key. Urine which is not refrigerated turns to ammonia pretty quick. I think Tink is a great guy and while have never met him I know we have mutual friends. Not his fault the scent gets old.

hmm

I have killed a few bucks coming in to scrapes freshened with tinks 69, never had any deer spook from it.

AGED Scent

aged SCENT WORK BEST FOR ME. SHANNON & BLACK DEATH DEER scents are aged for several year and many trappers and trapper's supply houses used to age scent s& lure for up to 3 year before selling lures.

Liek wine improves with age, the effectiveness in deer urine seems to work.

After all it been # 1 in American for 28 years now.

Tinks# 69 Doe in rut buck Lure just son for the umpteenth time Archery Business Most Popular Scent

they said Tinks # 69 Dominates the market.

We buy a great deal of urine and all our product are from WT deer in the USA

Tinks # 69 has produces more Record Book buck that any other buck lure in history most of the worlds top bowhunters use it.

Gene Wensel killed the largest buck in North American in 1976 witha bow at 12 yards using Tinks His buck is the basic for the Logo which was drawn by an artist to show the huge buck bases were 7 1/4" around.

feel free to use what ever works for you. It has always worked for me

Thanks and happy trails

Tink
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never again will I use scent

I had used scents for about a good 4 years in SW PA when I started out and pretty much had no luck with them. One season I used dominant buck urine on a scrape to lure in the big buck I had seen earlier in the season. It seemed to work a little as every 1 1/2 buck that came near it they slowly backed out probably hoping not to get their butt kicked. This year I bought Tinks Buck N' Rut and some Robison Scent labs Still Steamin to try for the first time in about 5 yrs and lets just say . The one morning a weird racked 3 1/2 + comes in on a trail downwind during the rut and soon as it hit got close it knew something was up and slowly made its way back to were it came from. It wasn't even downwind of the scent (downhill thermals may have carried the scent). And I myself had the wind in myself and even if they were thermals I was still a good 40 yrds ahead of the deer. So I said that it was it. $20 went in the garbage when I got home. the weird thing is as soon as that deer left 2 younger deer came in sniffed right in the area and after not seeing anything left calmly to find something better. Don't know why but that older deer knew something wasn't right and left.
    "Suprised!!! I wouldn't be more suprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet."

I have used this scent for years and have never had deer run away from it. I've had decent bucks come right into it, and I've had does and smaller bucks walk right up to the scent bomb sniff it, and pay no mind to it. I agree with the freshness statement, keep it in the fridge at all times and be careful not to spread human scent out with it.
    ---------------------------------------
    Hoyt Vectrix 30" @ about 66 lbs
    H&M strings
    CJ WindowMaker 5 pin
    Goldtip Pro Hunter 5575

Ive seen deer in AZ come up the hill and smell the log where I had cotton balls with Tink's 69. I had left the area and was climbing back to the truck, turned around and saw them. They had gone out of their way to get to the log judging from the game trails around there. Also my scent was all over since I had just removed the cotton.

Had a bull and cow elk follow me back to camp two years ago after dark. I had sprayed my boots with bull lure. They stayed around all night bugleing and cow calling. The next morning other hunters came looking and spooked them into the tall and dark. It works at the right time. Real mature animals may have had a "bad" experience with scent in the past, just like calling can educate them, maybe scent does too.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects

As it is said in Lindy Wisdom's verse: "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."

Charter Member: NCWID
    NAASP

Been using Tinks 60 for yrs. Drag lines, in real scrapes or mock and I would soak a camo bandana with it and hang it off the ground. Never spooked a deer, always a positive experience

I used Tinks 69 for years. Then started rtrying other brands. Even tried the code nblue expensive crap. (a gift). Went back to Tinks this year and will stay with them. I had put some for the getl on a tree in my shooting lane. A nice buck was coming down the trail and wehn he got a whiff of the gel he turned and went right for it moving into the shooting lane. The worst stuff I have used is the buck bomb. I have seen it spok deer plus I am tired of finding empty cans of it all over the woods.

Blog

After deer seasons over and I get things unpacked I will post a Blog on Deer hunting & the wise & proper use of Scents & lures

Also with a month I will have the DVD out on Whitetail Magic The use of Lures & Scents by Dr Ken Nordberg & Tink Nathan from AdventureVison Video Studios, Inc

Hopefully these will give the hunter added information

99% of the time when deer react in the woods it due to Human scent they detect when they also smell the deer scents.

I have never been an advocate of usign Buck Urine and I never use it. buck are not impressed with other bucks urine

Its not more of an attractant to a buck than a dirty mens room at a stadium or bus station.

Why would a buck fight when he could breed? Hunters & dealer begged for Buck urine and we make and sell it But buck Will respond to Tinks $ 69 doe in rut Buck lure as long as the testes have descended and the buck still have hard antlers.

With a 28 year track records and million and millions buck killed, Tinks # 69 is a legend in the hunting Industry

Tinks is a well respected brand Like Colt, Winchester, Remington, Federal etc it is a household word

Two generations have used it now great grand children of Tinks users are using it.

My Pharmacy Guy Chris Reeves of Wal*Mart inKerrville TX took his 5 year old daughter hunting over Christmas and she missed a doe His Daddy put him onto Tinks when he was a Kid Now that 3 generations of hunters using it.

Same Formula over the years. same stinky good stuff.

It works.

If you don't like it or don't understand it, please pass or use someone Else's. Most dealers ran put again across the country. Wal*mart ran out again and I had angry folks calling me here at home.
    Tink
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another thing about scents....YES i have used them sucessfully and have also used them other times and it hadn't made a difference.

The problem with people say that they killed a deer using scent is nearly a lie IMO.
    Unless you are using a scent drag and the deer is coming in with his nose down to the ground i find it hard to believe.
    Most of the time i sincerly believe the deer just HAPPENED to be walking through, you shot and gave the scent pad the credit.
    I don't believe it for a second.

I do however agree with tink about using buck urine. IMO that would be working AGAINST yourself.
    Especiallly dominant buck urine. It makes other deer nervous and scares them off so what are you accomplishing?
    The best way to kill a deer is to keep them moving NATURAL.

If your gonna use it faithfully, Doe pee in early season and estrous in november. Or use normal doe pee constantly. How many buck do you see dogging does that don't seem ready? Just about all the time

I do still use some urine occasially. I won't buy it but if someone give me a bottle i will use it.
    I don't use it as a attractant though....and never will.
    I use it as a curiosity scent. If a deer is walking by and gets a whiff of it, maybe he/she will stop long enough to sniff the air and I can get a shot.

Also here is another thing working against you....your setting up for a shot IN FRONT of you or off to the sides where the wind is IN YOUR FAVOR!!!!!!
    Now you go and put scent down to draw the deer in
    Think about that....where is the majority of scent going to blow? BEHIND YOU. If you DO attract a deer and he smells you don't you think he's going to bust out of there?

There are too many pros and cons to get into.
    Use it if you want but IMO i wouldn't say scents will make or break a hunt.

Trapping is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Hoyt PA
    The problem with people say that they killed a deer using scent is nearly a lie IMO.
    Unless you are using a scent drag and the deer is coming in with his nose down to the ground i find it hard to believe.
    Most of the time i sincerly believe the deer just HAPPENED to be walking through, you shot and gave the scent pad the credit.
    I don't believe it for a second.
    Wow. You really don't believe in scents do you?

My scent success story: Early this season I set up with the wind blowing from the 11 oclock direction (if I was facing the 12 oclock.) At about 30 yards out I hung a pad soaked with Bowhunters' Setup. Had 2 small bucks and a doe heading downwind of me and when they got downwind of the scent before hitting my down stream they immediately stuck their noses in the air and walked in front of me to the scent pad hanging in the tree. The were on the pad with their noses point blank for several minutes while providing many shot opportunities if I had chosen to shoot. If I hadn't been using the scent, they would have walked dead downwind. I saw the deer react to what I had put out and it definitely changed their direction of travel. No dispute that it was the scent that put them in front of my stand. They didn't come into just for the scent, but it kept them from busting me and gave me shot opportunities instead of blowing out on the next train. There have been similar success stories using the same scent on the farm that I hunt.
    Scent is a very important communication tool for deer and if used intelligently can work out in your advantage. Is it a slam dunk?--no. Deer can smell for 400 yards away. You can't tell me that a buck in rut, alone trolling for does wouldn't be interested if he smelled a doe in heat? If you reproduce this scent for him and there is an absence of human scent, then the odds of it drawing him in are good. It's what he is looking for. You are right though, scent placement is critical. It needs to be where they smell the scent and not you. Too many doe in heat smells mixed with human scent could spook a buck for life.

And I've had good luck with Tink's 69. Satisfied customer here.
    Last edited by ShadowAce; January 3rd, 2006 at 05:48 PM.

I spilled coffee on myself and had this old man follow me around the woods last week...
    man, if it weren't for the rain I'd never have lost him.

god, I miss dad
    2007 Bowtech Tribute 60#
    Limbdriver, HHA Optimizer Lite 5019
    Rage two-blade, Goldtip XT hunters 5575 Black
    Line #4 for rent

[QUOTE=Team Hoyt PA]H

I've had that happen using Code Blue. Laid the sent trail with a dragrag after my morning hunt. Went back that afternoon and setup my decoy and mister 8 point came right down the trail and locked up when he spotted the decoy. Unfortunatly he unlocked in a hurry when I spooked him drawing my bow. Now if I had been using a xbow,hummmmmmmm............... .

AT is slow....GRRRRRRR

shadowace...I do believe in scents. I just don't believe it everytime i hear someone say they killed a deer soley because of it.

IT DOES HAPPEN and IT DOES WORK. If bobcats were legal for shooting in my WMU i could have had one hell of a big cat two years ago. It followed my coon scent drag right to my tree and looked up at me. IT WORKED!!!! I do believe if it wasn't for the coon scent drag then i would not have seen that cat!!!! They are very secretive animals and it's rare for them to let thier guard down, but he did and i could have easily taken him.

I believe your story 100%. But in my opinion the urine may have acted like more of a curiosity scent than an attractant. It's not concrete evidence but they did stick around longer than they would have right? They wanted to know what they smelled....and curiosity could have killed the deer.
    Here is my argument. Did the deer smell it before they smelled you? Did they specifically come in from where ever they came from JUST for that smell? Did it really attract them?
    I don't believe it did. I think your scent marker was simply hung perfectly during the right time of year for that scent. During their process of busting you, they got a mixed signal and became curious of that other odor they know so well.

I had two deer (different occasions and locations) happen to be walking one the trail i hoped they would. the wind was in my face and the scent pad was across the trail blowing my way. when they got to it, they stopped walked over and presented broadside shots for a couple seconds and continued on their way. The scent pad was doused in regular doe pee i got from a trapping website.
    It did not attract the deer and i know it.

I have to rely on scents every day for my traps. But the thing is i'm not trying to draw racoon, fox, and coyote from the next mountain over. I need to find SPECIFIC locations that scream out to me or smack me in the head and set accordingly. All i need to do is get that animal to let his curiosity get the best of him and stick his nose down the hole and see what is in there. If it works without a flaw then i'll have an animal waiting the next day.

I'm not a scent expert and will never claim to be. All i can vouch for is what i learned from trapping this year. It's brought a whole new meaning for the use of scents. Why, When Where and how are so much more important now that i've experienced the wrong and right way.

Here is another thing. How many deer pee in the woods EVERY DAY? think about it. Is that bottle you have THAT much better than the stuff they have?

Too many pros and cons of the scent industry. All you can bank on is experience.

shadowace...I do believe in scents. I just don't believe it everytime i hear someone say they killed a deer soley because of it.

IT DOES HAPPEN and IT DOES WORK. If bobcats were legal for shooting in my WMU i could have had one hell of a big cat two years ago. It followed my coon scent drag right to my tree and looked up at me. IT WORKED!!!! I do believe if it wasn't for the coon scent drag then i would not have seen that cat!!!! They are very secretive animals and it's rare for them to let thier guard down, but he did and i could have easily taken him.

I believe your story 100%. But in my opinion the urine may have acted like more of a curiosity scent than an attractant. It's not concrete evidence but they did stick around longer than they would have right? They wanted to know what they smelled....and curiosity could have killed the deer.
    Here is my argument. Did the deer smell it before they smelled you? Did they specifically come in from where ever they came from JUST for that smell? Did it really attract them?
    I don't believe it did. I think your scent marker was simply hung perfectly during the right time of year for that scent. During their process of busting you, they got a mixed signal and became curious of that other odor they know so well.

I had two deer (different occasions and locations) happen to be walking one the trail i hoped they would. the wind was in my face and the scent pad was across the trail blowing my way. when they got to it, they stopped walked over and presented broadside shots for a couple seconds and continued on their way. The scent pad was doused in regular doe pee i got from a trapping website.
    It did not attract the deer and i know it.

I have to rely on scents every day for my traps. But the thing is i'm not trying to draw racoon, fox, and coyote from the next mountain over. I need to find SPECIFIC locations that scream out to me or smack me in the head and set accordingly. All i need to do is get that animal to let his curiosity get the best of him and stick his nose down the hole and see what is in there. If it works without a flaw then i'll have an animal waiting the next day.

I'm not a scent expert and will never claim to be. All i can vouch for is what i learned from trapping this year. It's brought a whole new meaning for the use of scents. Why, When Where and how are so much more important now that i've experienced the wrong and right way.

Here is another thing. How many deer pee in the woods EVERY DAY? think about it. Is that bottle you have THAT much better than the stuff they have?

Too many pros and cons of the scent industry. All you can bank on is experience.

This guy proves Tink's 69 WORKS!!:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast