Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Lee?

Talking Ben Lee?

Have any of you heard of Ben Lee?? He was one of the best of the best He invented Deer scents and grunt calls.

Ben

I hate this for Ben.........He was a friend of mine and I would hope the bow hunting brothers would remember him..........damn he was good at what he did............WB

I met Ben in the late 70's he sure could talk turkey and was a great hunter.
    SOB (Sweet Old Bill) Bill Olmesdahl
    Sand Dune archery club MB SC,
    Gibertville rod and Gun NY,
    Seniors archery 3D/ hunt Oneonta NY

Ben

Thanks sweet old bill...........

Ben

I can't believe that you SO$ don't know BEN............WB

Olddog...arkie got it!!!yea!!!

Thanks Kildog.

Re: Ben Lee?

Originally posted by olddog48
    Have any of you heard of Ben Lee?? He was one of the best of the best He invented Deer scents and grunt calls.
    Was that Ben Rogers Lee?

Ben Rogers Lee was a great hunter & avid turkey hunter. He was a down to earth person and great role person for hunting. He will always be missed.

I remember Ben. He was a big man but, I remember him and can say I never met him and those I ran into who hunted with him I believe it was Alabama loved this guy. I still have tapes with him on (turkey calling tapes). The guys I have talked to said that this guy was one of the best. He had a heart of gold and a real passion for helping others and, was an all around great guy. I wish there were more people like him out their today that not only had his passion for the sport but, also his all around good guy personallity. HE IS MISSED AMONG THOSE WHO REMEMBER HIM AND NEW HIM. I am surprised that more people don't remember who he was. HE WAS ONE OF THE GREATEST TURKEY HUNTERS ALIVE IN HIS DAY---HE COULD TALK TO THE LONG BEARDS. --- thats what those I have talked with that hunted with him had to say. I also know he hunted more than just turkeys with great success too if I remember right.

Ive had the oppertunity to tip a few Brew's with Ben,when he was alive,and ive never met a more Gentle person in my life.He was a true inspiration to the hunting fraternity.He use to come up to Waterville Pa,as a yearly Pilgramage to hunt with Jan Bausinger from the Waterville Hotel,and thus is where i met his aquatience.One of my friend's,could not get a handle,on how to use a mouth call,because he wore dentures.Ben took him to his Motor Home parked in the lot,and politely asked for him to remove his Dentures,and proceded to make a few call's,that fit the Dentures perfectly.Along with the Custom made call's,Ben spent the better part of a hour,giving my friend instructions,on its proper use.What a Great Human Being! I sincerly miss him,as im sure many do,but the only comfort,is knowing that where he has gone,i will one day to,and ,mabey we can chase a few togeather there.Ben lives on,in many a Heart!

My favorite thing he ever said in a video and I borrow it often.....
    "you caint call to much to the turkey he likes it real good" One heck of a down to earth hunting personality, actually he was a character.

Talking

Ben rodgers Lee was killed in Octr 1991 ina car crash at the exact spot inthe road that claimed his daughter two yars ago to the day

hew was a legand and a helluva man

Wordlds gretest Turkey hunter & Caller Won more World Championships that you can count

Ben was my freiend too

Tink Nathan

I met Ben when he was the featured speaker at a turkey seminar. Unbelievable. Besides knowing more about turkeys than turkeys, he was the greatest entertainer. He was similar to Jerry Clowers, but better. Had everybody rolling on the floor. He was a turkey hunting pioneer and as responsible for todays turkey hunting popularity as anyone. Great ambassador for turkey hunting. Really lost a great thing when he died. If you have ever heard a great seminar, his was the standard to which all others are compared. Spending time with him was priceless.

Ben once told me a story about him being in a treestand,when a nice Buck,stopped directly beneath his platform.With carefull aim,he concentrated on the buck's vitals,and let it fly.He said he knew something was wrong,when he looked down to see the arrow sticking in the Platform,directly ahead of his left foot.I could never do the story justice,as only he had that witty humor.He was a master!

Went to one of his seminars, the absolute best one I have ever been to, by far. He was funny, told it the way it is, he actually said stuff that I was suprised he said in "mixed" company. The way he said it made everyone laugh, what a great character, I will never forget him, and I only met him once.

I never met him but my dad talks about him all the time and his daughter died in 1984. Not 2 years before. I would know because I'm his grandson. I have his one of a kind Winchester Ben lee model shotgun. I also have the browning 12g he always hunted with that had a coin carved in each side for the birthday of my aunt gale that died and my dad, Ben lee jr.

I still have his Hunting the Rut w/ Ben Lee and Don Bell video. Watch it every year atleast a few times. Always wanted to meet him but he was taken before I got the chance.

Whats kinda funny is me and my best friend are pretty similar in appearance to them two. My brother calls us both by those names on occasion.

Been gonna do a mock scrape post but was waiting until closer to deer season. Now sounds like a good time instead of waiting.

Ben was so funny, I considered wearing a diaper when he was telling stories. We had him up to Buffalo, NY for several seminars and TV spots. I still have a double septum gobble box he was looking to bring to market. I never saw it for sale. They broke the mold when he was born.

That is cool, JLee. I remember reading stories from Ben, Dave Harbour, and Dwain Bland when I was first learning to turkey hunt. Those guys had it figured out.

I knew Ben Lee pretty well, and yes he was a character to say the least. I met his daughter who was also killed in a car accident too and I have met his son too. At one time Ben was a very big man, but he had gastric bypass before he was killed. The last time I saw him he said he weighed 170 lbs, at one time he was well over 300. I think he would have enjoyed living today with the Sportsman Channel and the Outdoor Channel. He loved hunting and the outdoors and he loved talking about the outdoors and hunting. That was his life.

I had one of his mouth calls back when mouth calls first became popular and it had a chunk of lead or some kinda metal on top to make it easier to use. Called in a lot of gobblers with it. Hope it didn't give me lead poison. Ben made some good turkey calls. Also had the one with the skinny slate down the middle..can't think of the name. Called a lot of gobblers in with it too.

I knew Ben Lee pretty well, and yes he was a character to say the least. I met his daughter who was also killed in a car accident too and I have met his son too. At one time Ben was a very big man, but he had gastric bypass before he was killed. The last time I saw him he said he weighed 170 lbs, at one time he was well over 300. I think he would have enjoyed living today with the Sportsman Channel and the Outdoor Channel. He loved hunting and the outdoors and he loved talking about the outdoors and hunting. That was his life. I think with all the TV Hunters of today he would have fit in perfectly. I think he would been able to entertain a bigger audience if he were alive today.

Hi Jlee,
    I never met your Grandfather but I read his book "the Turkey Hunting World of Ben Lee" when it came out in 1983. When I got older I made 10 trips to Alabama for spring gobbler season.
    About 10 years ago I was hunting in east Alabama and made the drive to Coffeyville one afternoon just to see where Ben was from. Ben always spoke about Scotch WMA so I went hunting there for 2 days and met some guys that knew Ben. The guy at the convenience store in Coffeyville knew him as well. Everyone I met that knew him raved about what a great man he was.
    I also met a fellow hunter in southern Virginia 3 years ago who hunted with Ben and he had some good stories to tell. All I can say to you as I hold my old copy of "the Turkey Hunting World of Ben Lee", is if it weren't for Ben I probably never would have hunted Alabama and I definitely wouldn't have been to Coffeyville or Scotch WMA. So he influenced me a lot and I never even met the man.
    One of the true pioneers of modern turkey hunting.

Most outdoorsmen over 60 certainly know BRL, as do many younger people. I still have a couple of his hunting videos. My favorite Lee saying..............."I love to hunt deer, and I hunt them with all legal weapons, all legal seasons. When they open up a deer rock chuckin season, I will be doing that to." RIP, Ben.
    Last edited by 410gage; February 8th, 2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: pilot error
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards. Up yours"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast