a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Hog kill zone

Hog kill zone

Could someone clear something up for me? I have been told many things about where to shoot a hog at and am beginning my hunt in less than 5 days. I have been told everything from only to shoot them when they are quartering away since I will hit the shield on one broadside and not penetrate, shoot them tight against the shoulder, bring my sight up the leg and once I get 2 or 3 inches up the body to shoot since the lungs are tucked tight behind the shoulder and low, and to just shoot right behind the shoulder and it doesn't matter if I hit a little forward with my setup (93lbs, 100grn muzzy 3blade, 30in draw) I will just blow right through it. So which one of these statements its true? I've been studying there anatomy quite a bit and from what I see the lungs do look a little more tucked on the shoulder than a deer is that right, are they lower in the body. For those of you that hunt them where did you find the best shot to be?

With that set up there should be no problem with any shot you take, unless he is 600 lbs of raw grissel. If I was pulling 93 pounts I would just shoot him n the head. Quartering away is best so you don't catch the shoulder blade. You can shoot him like most any North American game animal...just below and behind the shoulder. Shoot him like you would a deer and he will go down squealing. Where are you going hunting?? Good Luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DoeSlayer75
    With that set up there should be no problem with any shot you take, unless he is 600 lbs of raw grissel. If I was pulling 93 pounts I would just shoot him n the head. Quartering away is best so you don't catch the shoulder blade. You can shoot him like most any North American game animal...just below and behind the shoulder. Shoot him like you would a deer and he will go down squealing. Where are you going hunting?? Good Luck!!!
    I'll be in Hillsborough county and possibly in a few surrounding counties. I'm gonna try to stay away from the head shots lol. I used to think I could go through about anything till this past archery season I shot at what would have been the biggest buck I had ever taken gun or bow and watched him run off with all but about 3 inches of my arrow hanging out of him. I am almost certain I hit him in the ball joint. After that I changed my whole thought process on what shots to take and what angles. I shoot high poundage in case I do hit the shoulder but I'll never try to hit it.

go to texasboars.com and look at the real anatomy of a pig. these are real pig pics , very graphic! forward ! and low !!
    and of course aim for the exit.
    good luck mike

Thanks to Jerry NJ who made these

Here are some pix Jerry made up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Africanbowhunter
    Here are some pix Jerry made up

From what I'm seeing there if its quatering away you should be tight behind the shoulder and broadside or a little bit quartering towards you should aim right at the shoulder?

Err... With that setup you can shoot it in the rear end and she'll go down! ! Man - you are going to blow some hogs up.

Slightly quatering away 1-2" behind the shoulder at the 30% mark on the body should do it.

Cheers,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gregvisser
    Err... With that setup you can shoot it in the rear end and she'll go down! ! Man - you are going to blow some hogs up.
    You're not kiddin! Make sure your BH's are the sharpest they can be!
    NRA Hunters Rights Site *HSUS Watchdog Site* Join the USSA <- click here
    As of 12/31/2010, HSUS had a net worth of $187.5 million. - They want to stop ALL hunting ! GET INVOLVED TO STOP THEM!
    NJ Hunters, Join The NJ Outdoor Alliance - Click Here http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/ for more info

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry/NJ
    You're not kiddin! Make sure your BH's are the sharpest they can be!
    I just picked up new blades for my Muzzies. I think they should work fine for me and my setup. My friend is shooting a little bit slower setup and has decided to go with a two blade cut on contact bh's I'm excited to see how they perform on hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleS
    From what I'm seeing there if its quatering away you should be tight behind the shoulder and broadside or a little bit quartering towards you should aim right at the shoulder?
    Your setup is way more than adequate. I just got back from DEEP SOUTH TEXAS, and I blew thru 2 hogs {roughly 200lbs.} at 60 lbs! Also took a big javelina! You should favor the quarter away, but with your 93 lbs, a broadside to the shoulder will work as well. Good luck. Man I love to hunt those porkers!!!!!!!!!

Great pics Tink!!!

Kyle,

I have killed a bunch of hogs on a lot less poundage then you have. When I do shoot at a hog either quartering away or broadside, I try to hit just behind their elbow joint. With that shot placement I have had very few run more then 20-40 yds. The Muzzy heads are good on hogs. I generally use a 4 blade 100gr Muzzy on hogs. I would sharpen those blades though. Muzzy's generally are not the sharpest heads out of the box.

Good Luck!!!
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity, because if you lick it once, you suck forever!!!"

Romans 14:2 "One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only."

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm leaving Thursday evening for Florida and hoping to be there around 10 Friday morning. This is going to be the best spring break imaginable. We are taking my buddies bass boat and we should be there right during the Spawn so hopefully we'll both get a few big hogs and a few 10+ lb bass . I'll be sure to post some pics when we get back.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleS
    Their leg and shoulder can be deceiving, it is much more forward that one would think....
    As of 12/31/2010, HSUS had a net worth of $187.5 million. - They want to stop ALL hunting ! GET INVOLVED TO STOP THEM!
    NJ Hunters, Join The NJ Outdoor Alliance - Click Here http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/ for more info

bone structure....