Thread: PSE Deer Hunter Compound Bow

PSE Deer Hunter Compound Bow

Im thinkin about purchasing a PSE Deer Hunter compound bow, jus wanted to know if anyone ever had one and what their thoughts of it were. Im goin to get it in the next 2 weeks, any info would be helpful. I got about $500 to spend on a decent starter bow, loaded with everything. Dont wanna buy used, even though it would be the best idea but I want a new one. Well any info would help
    Thanks
    Cliff

Deer Hunter is an very dated bow. It has round wheels, not cams and I doubt you would get very much speed out of it.

Another bow you might want to look at that would still not break your budget would be the PSe Dakota, relfex gamegetter or even a reflex grizzly.

I picked up a Dakota over the weekend for right about $300....massivly adjustable....5" adjustable draw and 20# of draw weight....soon as I can get back to shooting I cannot wait to shoot this.

you can get a pse or bruin in a universal cam or rimfire cam for 369.99,whisker biscuit, satabilizer,f 16 sight,quiver,wrist sling,peep,loop and quiver with four pse carbons included,much better bow than a deer hunter

I had the same doubt in summer 2004. I'm glad that I went for PSE Nova instead Deerhunter that year. I shot it for more than a year with no problems or faults. It was a real shooter, and still is - my friend who bought it off from me is satisfied, and already managed to Robin-Hood one of his arrows

If you set up some nice 3d arrows with it, you can get decent speeds as well.
    So forget the Deerhunter, start with Nova or something even better...
    He who controls the past commands the future, He who commands the future, conquers the past.

- Kane

Cliff,

The PSE Deerhunter was my first bow. I used it for 2 years and hated it. It now sits in my basement while I think about selling it and while I enjoy shooting my Switchback. You get what you pay for.

I could not get the PSE paper tuned. Always got a slight left tear. It has tons of hand shock. But I killed 7 deer with it in 2 years (and passed on many deer during those 2 years). I shot aluminum arrows at 65 lbs (maxed out) and only got 196 fps for 49 ft-lbs of KE. I have read that others who bought the Nova were very happy with it. The Deerhunter uses steel cables (an antiquated setup) and round cams (real old and beginner technology).

If you are really interested in this bow you should pm me. I'd sell it to you really cheap - including the original sight, rest, a string loop, string whiskers, tube peep - all set up for a 29" draw. And I think I still have 3 aluminum arrows that are pretty straight that I'd send with it. Yeah, its all used, but it would work the same as a new one and it would be very cheap. If that is your priority then this is a deal for you. But I guarantee that you'd hate it, as I did.

Honestly, I think you'd do better by saving up some more money - take odd jobs or whatever it takes. Test shoot a lot of bows by several different bow companies. Find the one that is best for you. Then step up and buy it along with quality accessories. Don't start out by buying the bottom of the line (as I did) - you only end up buying things twice and your first investment ends up being wasted. Mine was - bow, arrows, release, peep - everything. The only purpose it served was making sure I didn't spend a lot to find out if I would enjoy the sport. I do. I am addicted. But I have lost an amount (my initial investment) equal to what I would have lost on resale of better quality equipment if I had bought better stuff, not liked the sport, and then sold everything in the classifieds here. Had I bought a better bow to begin with I would still be shooting that bow today. I plan on keeping my Switchback for a long time - it is a dream to shoot. I hate that PSE Deerhunter that now sits in a box in my basement.
    2011 Destroyer 340; QAD Ultra Pro HD; Axcel 7 pin; Beman ICS Hunter; Slick Trick, Spitfire Gobbler Getter & G5 T3 broadheads; Scott Wolf release.

Wear a safety harness and use a Summit Climbing System: I hook up - for me and my family!!

Thanks for the info guys. Well I have made a decision kinda. I looked at a Parker Buck Hunter bow, and shot it, and it shoots reallly nice, I like it. but I also shot and looked at a PSE Nova RF, and it shoots really nice too! I like em both, but jus dont know what to go for. Any opinions on these 2 bows? There about the same in Price as well, so I jus wanna hear your dirt on these bows and I'll try to make a decision.
    Thanks
    Cliff

Smile deerhunter

i am now aware that you have made youre decision, but the deer hunter does look like a nice bow, it has the purfect formula for forgivness. like its ATA of 38" and its brace height, not to mention the wheels, dont underestimate them! they are so easy to tune if you no wat ur doin and are soo smooth on the draw and shot, remember, you only shoot short distance when hunting, and its how you place the shot, not how far the arrow drives into the dirt after passing thru the animal.

personally i would reccomend the deerhunter with some 375 grain carbons, maybe 400 for the extra punch.
    also note that its design is soo soo simple and has a low chance of problems

when it comes down to it, pick the right bow that fits

cheers, hope it helped.

-cal

Quote Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis
    Cliff,

The PSE Deerhunter was my first bow. I used it for 2 years and hated it. It now sits in my basement while I think about selling it and while I enjoy shooting my Switchback. You get what you pay for.

I could not get the PSE paper tuned. Always got a slight left tear. It has tons of hand shock. But I killed 7 deer with it in 2 years (and passed on many deer during those 2 years). I shot aluminum arrows at 65 lbs (maxed out) and only got 196 fps for 49 ft-lbs of KE. I have read that others who bought the Nova were very happy with it. The Deerhunter uses steel cables (an antiquated setup) and round cams (real old and beginner technology).

If you are really interested in this bow you should pm me. I'd sell it to you really cheap - including the original sight, rest, a string loop, string whiskers, tube peep - all set up for a 29" draw. And I think I still have 3 aluminum arrows that are pretty straight that I'd send with it. Yeah, its all used, but it would work the same as a new one and it would be very cheap. If that is your priority then this is a deal for you. But I guarantee that you'd hate it, as I did.

Honestly, I think you'd do better by saving up some more money - take odd jobs or whatever it takes. Test shoot a lot of bows by several different bow companies. Find the one that is best for you. Then step up and buy it along with quality accessories. Don't start out by buying the bottom of the line (as I did) - you only end up buying things twice and your first investment ends up being wasted. Mine was - bow, arrows, release, peep - everything. The only purpose it served was making sure I didn't spend a lot to find out if I would enjoy the sport. I do. I am addicted. But I have lost an amount (my initial investment) equal to what I would have lost on resale of better quality equipment if I had bought better stuff, not liked the sport, and then sold everything in the classifieds here. Had I bought a better bow to begin with I would still be shooting that bow today. I plan on keeping my Switchback for a long time - it is a dream to shoot. I hate that PSE Deerhunter that now sits in a box in my basement.
    i just wanned to point out, youre comparing a say 5 star bow to a 2 star bow, of course the swichback will outperform a deerhunter. and if you hav a tear like that, maybe youre centre shot is out or the nocking point is low.

just a thought

Smile Maybe reconsider?

I don't blame you for wanting a new one but you can get a top end used one for that price. After you shoot a new one it won't be new anymore. In six months when you're shooting you will be much happier looking down at a higher end PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, etc....
    Bowtech Tribute LH (Black Marble)
    Hoyt Magnatech LH
    Darton Exciter (Wife's Bow)

I've had a Team Fitzgeral (old version of Deer Hunter) for about a year and i have loved it. shoots great even with the crap rest that i had on it.

Welcome to ArcheryTalk. By the way, this thread is 8 years old.
    One very understanding wife, lots of bows, couple presses and never enough arrows

Live To Hunt

okay, i did not pay that much attention, and thanks for the welcome