Thread: Best striker for friction call

Best striker for friction call

Last year while turkey hunting in the spring, I managed to lose my best 2 strikers (1 wood and 1 primos carbon )while runnin' and gunnin'. I tried many times to retrace my tracks but ended up replacing them with the HS strut stuff and even a Cody Carbon striker. All of these sounded like crap on my Primos Alumaslate and other friction calls. So I was just wondering what other brand name strikers and types of wood you are using. I can't remeber the name of the wooden one but think it was made of hickory. Any thoughts, so I can spend more money on useless turkey stuff

"Suprised!!! I wouldn't be more suprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet."

Talking Different Strokes for different folks

I have alot of different friction calls, slate, copper, different types of glass, and a couple of the aluminum. The strikers that I use are different types and which produce different sounds on certain parts of the calls, and they are different types of wood ( with different hardness ). Then the carbon types and a few that are mental tip. This way one can use them in all types of weather. Some say there is a sweert spot on the calls and I have worked on trying to find them and then put a mark on the side of the rim beside the spot. But I like to use the top of the calls for high pitch and calls of young turkeys, and then the middle of the calls for a more mature bird, or not as high. I first start off with tree calls, and use the slate and a soft maple wooden all. Then from there one has to determine the birds temperture. Some are really fired up and come running, and some are hard to get to come in. So no matter how hard they just will not come in sometimes, even for Walter Parrot, and the rest of the champion callers. This is why they call it hunting, and there is no formula for it, but the more you get out and get involved with them you do get an ideal of what it takes to get an advantage.
    So have a great spring, Steady Eddie.

Todd M. Priest ~ East Central Iowa
    Bowtech Destroyer 350, 65 lbs, 28" DL, 365 gr. Gold Tip 5575 XT Hunter, 301 fps, 74 # of KE.
    QAD LD Rest ~ Octane Precision NXS Bowsight ~ Octane Stabilizer ~ Octane One Piece Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by tpriest

I never used them, but Woodhaven calls come with a similar flare tip as the one you use. I've heard that they are pretty calls, but just found out about them recently.
    Maybe the flare tip is some new revolution, so i guess I'll have to buy a flare tip striker next time I'm out at the store.
    "Suprised!!! I wouldn't be more suprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet."

The mushroom head is great for cutting. It purrs nice too. It will do loud and soft yelps as well. I really like them. I never was much for the carbon strikers. Just sound to tinny for me.
    Todd M. Priest ~ East Central Iowa
    Bowtech Destroyer 350, 65 lbs, 28" DL, 365 gr. Gold Tip 5575 XT Hunter, 301 fps, 74 # of KE.
    QAD LD Rest ~ Octane Precision NXS Bowsight ~ Octane Stabilizer ~ Octane One Piece Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by tpriest
    The mushroom head is great for cutting. It purrs nice too. It will do loud and soft yelps as well. I really like them. I never was much for the carbon strikers. Just sound to tinny for me.
    The only reason i ever use Carbon strikers is for my Primos Alumislate, which came with one. If I really dig into that call it is so loud that it'll hurt you're ear drums. Its great for locating birds late morning or for winding days. I lost that primos carbon one and the HS and Cody carbon ones are horrible on that call.

I'll agree with you that in general carbon strikers are worthless though. But that primos aluminum and carbon striker must be a some kind of a one in a million match. Thanks for your reply