Thread: Can a Bobcat breed with a House Cat?

Can a Bobcat breed with a House Cat?

We have a couple of huge cats running around our property. We've never seen them until the last month or so. Now we're seeing them all the time. I'd guess the one is close to 25-30 lbs. The thing is HUGE!!!!! Strangley it looks mostly like a house cat. The thing is scared when seeing people anywhere near it. I got withing about 50 yds on the ATV but that's been about it. I asked a couple of GW's and they said they didn't know why not, but they didn't have a definitive answer. Thus I bring this question to you!

Living today like there's no tomorrow!

From my experience, bobcats can definately breed with house cats. My best friend's family lives in Northern Pennsylvania and they have a few house cats that run around the woods. One of their female cats had a litter of kittens and they ALL came out with stubby bobcat tales. We've been seeing more and more bobcats in their area in Bradford County, Pennsylvania. Saw a couple during rifle season this past year about 30 yards from my treestand as the snow was coming down. Beautiful sight.
    Lancaster Archery Supply - ProLine Bowstrings - Doinker Stabilizers

Prime Alloy - G5 Optix XR2 - QAD Ultra HDX - GT Hunters - G5 T3 / Strikers

why not

I have heard that they can more than once, but I have no idea. You should shoot one and send its DNA in then we could get an answer for sure. I would be really interested to see. (No sarcasim intended)

Bobcats are felis rufus and house cats are felis domesticus, so I guess buns can come out of the oven if they get together for dinner. They do share the same genus, so babies are definitely a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by smashing_01
    I have heard that they can more than once, but I have no idea. You should shoot one and send its DNA in then we could get an answer for sure. I would be really interested to see. (No sarcasim intended)
    Actually the GW told me if it has a long tail then go ahead and shoot it. I wasn't even thinking of that. I was just curious of the possibility. We do have a couple of small dogs in the family, one is grandmas, and for the dog's safety we would maybe consider shooting it if we thought it posed a threat for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Bobcats are felis rufus and house cats are felis domesticus, so I guess buns can come out of the oven if they get together for dinner. They do share the same genus, so babies are definitely a possibility.
    Thanks for the research Doc!

Quote Originally Posted by FULLTIMEHUNTER
    Thanks for the research Doc!
    The bill is in the mail

YES THEY DO.... MY BUDDY HAS ON.. and i SWEAR that i have him.. he's 1yr old and 20lbs!!! not fat. but REALLY long.. the only thing is he is orange..

Quote Originally Posted by ACooper1983
    YES THEY DO.... MY BUDDY HAS ON.. and i SWEAR that i have him.. he's 1yr old and 20lbs!!! not fat. but REALLY long.. the only thing is he is orange..
    PIC? Does it go by Bob or Robert?

Talking Could you stop him??

I would say that if a Bobcat really wanted to breed, that the House cat would have little choice.....
    Oneida Black Eagle ESC 65lbs/28DL, Steelforce Phathead 125

2009-2010 ArcheryTalk Deer Contest Champion team"The Autumn Assassins"
    2010-2011 ArcheryTalk Deer Contest Champion team "The Ridgetop Warriors"

i dont have one of his.. i got one of mine.. but he looks nothing bobcat beside he's HUGE... he's probably main coon or sumthin like that.

yes

coyotes can breed with domestic dogs too
    2006 Bowtech Allegiance
    Vital Bow Gear Trapper 3 pin
    Drop Zone
    Broadhead...Depends on what I am hunting
    30" at 70# 407 grain arrow at 305 FPS

Yep.....we have a two cats whose grandpa was a bobcat.....They look like regular cats other than the spots but the little suckers can JUMP like no other cat I've seen!!!! I woke up one morning to find one of the little turds on top of my mule deer mount!!!!!! 6 feet off the ground!!!!!!! got a picture of that one becasue I couldn't believe it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RightWing
    I would say that if a Bobcat really wanted to breed, that the House cat would have little choice.....
    I would have to agree with you on that one!!

Quote Originally Posted by RightWing
    THIS IS WHAT I WAS THINKING

Yes it is possible I have a half breed color of its mom stubby tail and size and poor attitude of its dad.
    13 experience, 12 insanity cpxl, sure-loc,spott-hogg,TT, bododdle, Doinker, Tru-ball,Scott,

...yes, but...

Can they?...yes...theoretically... and it happens in captivity...Will they?...unlikely, but odder things happen...again, theoritically, the first generation hybred would likely weigh around 3 times as much as an average housecat...beyond this generation, genetics would largely determine what you will end up with...i.e...a first generation (F1) female bred to a bobcat would likely throw larger kittens than would a first generation (F1) male, bred to a tabby...I would believe a male tomcat would be more likely to breed a female bobcat in the first instance than the other way around...who knows what might happen in 5 or more generations...I am more familiar with coyote/dog hybreds than felids...cheers...

I don't know if a bobcat can or does breed with a house cat. I do know in my own experience that a cat in the woods is doing one thing .... HUNTING.