Thread: Whats the easiest and most economical way to elk hunt non-resident?

Whats the easiest and most economical way to elk hunt non-resident?

I live in Indiana, and am not a wealthy man by anyones standards. I also usually prefer the hard way of hunting. What is the easiest and cheapest way for me to Elk hunt? In other words, which state is easiest for me to get an Elk tag, what would it cost me? Also, where in this state would be a big stretch of prime Elk hunting public land? Also interested in any cheap but good guided Elk hunts you know of. Pretty much just finding the easiest and most economic way for me, an average joe, to be able to hunt an Elk.

bull or cow?
    BOHNTR )))----------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
    P&Y Official Measurer
    B&C Official Measurer

Colorado for rockies If I remember corectly its the onlystate left to get an OTC tag ( I could be wrong )

Bull. I can get an over the counter tag without having to draw there as a non-resident? Anyone know about how much?

Oregon still has an OTC tag for anybull. I think they were going to drop the cows this year? Good Luck

Illinois - Where our governors make your plates!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel BOOM
    Bull. I can get an over the counter tag without having to draw there as a non-resident? Anyone know about how much?

http://wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/AppsAndLicenses/

That web site might be a good start, I wish my kids would hurry up and get into school so the wfie could go back to work, then I could afford to do an elk hunt!

Milkman

Quote Originally Posted by slider1
    Oregon still has an OTC tag for anybull. I think they were going to drop the cows this year? Good Luck
    Buy an over the counter tag and hunt the Starkey unit. Lots of elk with lots of public land.
    Bowtech Allegiance
    Spot Hogg Hogg it Hunter
    Carbon Ex. 300 Slick Trick BH's
    Badlands pack
    Leupold optics

^^^ agreed^^^

and if your wanting to try something new, you can hunt for Roosevelts on the cost on BLM land.

Boom,

We are going to need some more info:

First ask yourself what are you after. Bull or Cow? A Big bull or any elk with horns? Each decision will point you in the direction you need to go.

Cow tags are in less demand and therefore are easier to get and cheaper. For example a NR cow tag in Co is about $250 versus a bull which is over $500Even in 100% draw states (NM, AZ, WYO, UT) a non-resident has very good odds in a good unit to draw a cow tag.

There are no states which have 100% OTC elk tags. Only certain areas of the state which may be OTC. Colorado, Idaho, Oregon have OTC areas (maybe Washington too?). In addition OTC areas tend to get crowded real quick!!

Colorado has the largest elk heardbut tend to have smaller elk.The biggest bulls tend to come from AZ and UT but there are far fewer elk. NM has a great balance between size vs. quantity.

If your total budget is less than $2,000 you are going to be hard pressed to find a guide. If you do, I'd be very leary as most quality guides are well above that.

Give us some more input and we can help you out. Feel free to pm me if you have questions on NM.

Drop camp
    Hunting Whitetails...Daydreaming About Elk

The most easiest and economical way to hunt elk non-residential

I think the most economical way is to do it yourself, on your own, on public land or private land if you know a land owner in the state you plan to hunt.
    The easiest is going to depend on the type of hunt you want. I prefer backpack wilderness hunts where im not interrupted by motorized vehicles. This is a more difficult hunt then if you were to hunt out of your vehicle on public land where it is allowed. Check out the D.O.W. websites for the states you plan to hunt. Also call the game managers in those states because they can point you in the right direction and spots for the type of hunt you want to try.

I want a bull. It would be my first hunt so I am not interested in a monster, just a bull. I want spot/stalk type hunt on foot.

DIY will be the cheapest way, but those first couple of trips you will have to invest quite a bit of money in gear. Tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, water purifiers, and the list goes on and on. Once you get your equipment your looking at price of your tag and expense getting there. I did a trip in the Gila this year for less than a 1000 and I paid 400 dollars to get a packer to pack me in to get away from crowds.

IMO the best OTC elk archery tag is Starkey or Snake River. The Starkey unit will produce hundreds of elk in a few days, good hunt. Pm me for more info. I know the unit well.
    Bowtech Allegiance
    Spot Hogg Hogg it Hunter
    Carbon Ex. 300 Slick Trick BH's
    Badlands pack
    Leupold optics

From what you have said so far, Colorado, OTC bull tag about $500, lots of elk, lots of places to camp, lots of fantastic sceanery, but lots of other hunters. When all the hunters show up, the elk high tail it for the roadless areas. Be ready to hike a few miles in to the back country, and ready to pack a bull out if you get lucky.
    Don't discount getting into a few state lottery drawings. New Mexico is due in a few weeks. The best tags are $766 with drawing odds around 10% give or take, but the standard tags/units are about $550 and many of them are way better than most Colorado OTC tags.
    Your best bet is to hook up with someone who has done it before, learn the ropes so to speak.

Anaconda gave some good advice.

Before going the OTC route it might be worth your while to apply for some regular draw hunts. Most states require you to send in the tag amount with your application (you get it back if unsuccessful) so you have to float some money for a while. NM has online CC applications that they only charge a $7 fee, then the whole thing laterif successful. So definitely put in for NM (Im not sure if any other state do CC or not). Wyoming deadline is already over, not sure about CO, UT, ID or Montana.

If unsuccessful in draws you will still have plenty of time to prepare for an OTC hunt in CO or OR.

If you need help in choosing NM areas for your app just let me know. A few searches though here, on bowsite and mostermuleys will point you to some good units as well.

Quote Originally Posted by benchleg90
    IMO the best OTC elk archery tag is Starkey or Snake River. The Starkey unit will produce hundreds of elk in a few days, good hunt. Pm me for more info. I know the unit well.
    I thought the Starkey unit was a draw? Blake
    Last edited by CA Bowhunter; March 13th, 2006 at 07:32 AM.