Archery Talk Forum banner

60lb draw weight enough for hunting????

32K views 40 replies 41 participants last post by  WIbow 
#1 ·
Im thinking about dropping down to 60 lbs when I order a Switchback XT. I have a 27.5 draw. I plan on using axis 500 with a 100 grain montec,blazers. I currently shoot a 70lb switchback with 400 axis 100 grain montec blazer vanes. I know the 60 lb bow will produce less kinetic energy but it will still be enough you think. just hunt turkey 20lb, 200-300lb deer. dont know if ill ever get to go elk hunting. Anybody shoot a similar setup. Thanks for any input.

#5 ·
My friend, let me reassure you......

outdrsmn said:
Im thinking about dropping down to 60 lbs when I order a Switchback XT. I have a 27.5 draw. I plan on using axis 500 with a 100 grain montec,blazers. I currently shoot a 70lb switchback with 400 axis 100 grain montec blazer vanes. I know the 60 lb bow will produce less kinetic energy but it will still be enough you think. just hunt turkey 20lb, 200-300lb deer. dont know if ill ever get to go elk hunting. Anybody shoot a similar setup. Thanks for any input.

I have shot a complete pass-thru on a 148" P&Y 10-point whitetail with a 49 lb. recurve bow (arrow buried-up in dirt on far side). I was shooting a 3-39 A/C/C with a cut-on-contact, 4-blade Phantom broadhead.....

ANY 60 lb. compound will be MORE than enough on ANY North American big game, even moose and grizzly if you use a leading-blade, cut-on-contact broadhead.....:wink:

#6 ·
Plenty,I used to shoot 72lbs, but last year due to a sore back I bought a 60lbs bow. I killed a very nice 8 point, a complete pass thru and he didn't go 100 yards. Also took a fat doe. I was shooting a Martin Tracer with a 2113 xx75 with 75 grain muzzy's at 60lbs. It worked fantastic.

#12 ·
59#--Took a 6x5 Elk in Montana a couple years ago. Complete pass thru. Have taken more than 80 good bucks in my lifetime with all less than 60#.

#14 ·
Fred Bear Said....

You can kill any thing in North American cleanly with a 45# recurve bow" by Fred Bear

Red Dot got pass thrus on both black bear Boars she shot with a 40# ConCept 32 hunter bow AXIS 500s and 100 grain Steel Force 4 blades broadheads
Here is One

Tink

Attachments

#15 ·
I usually shoot at 60 lbs - virtually all deer have been pass throughs up to 35 yds. This year due to surgery, I was too weak to pull it, so I backed it down to 45 lbs. With 385 gr excells and 4 blade slick tricks I still got complete pass through on one at 21 yds and through both shoulder blades on a buck at 31 yds. 60 lbs is LOTS for anything I hunt.

#17 ·
outdrsmn,
Welcome to Archery Talk! :welcome:

I started out with 50#, went to 55#, 60#, 68# and topped out at 74#. I stayed with 64# for a while and have settled back down to 59#. I feel that I have plenty of speed, accuracy and penetration for the game that I intend to hunt. There's no reason to end up with rotor cuff surgery, tendinitis, arthritis, etc. :crazy:

The newer technology that's engineered into today's bows allow archers to shoot less poundage and still get flat trajectory and good accuracy with a user friendly bow that's quiet. :thumb:
Shoot the poundage that you're most comfortable with and enjoy archery! :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

#18 ·
i think a well tuned 55 will kill any in the us faster than anyone shooting a untuned, do the old heave ho, 75 ld bow. i'm going to 60 lbs for '06. i'm 17, 6'2", 185 lbs. i can draw an 85 ld bow. i don't have to prove anything. the only thing i prove is your question......60 is over enough:wink:

#22 ·
More than Enough!

I've shot 60# for years and have shot thru everything from Deer to Elk, no problems......:thumbs_up

#24 ·
I killed my first deer with a 45 lb longbow that because of my age (11) was only able to pull to about 37 lb. I was shooting cedar shafts, turkey feather fletching and a Zwacky(sp) Black Diamond broadhead. When seeing the arrow flying well past the deer thought I had missed but when looking for my arrow I found the blood trail and followed it to my first deer.

So, yes 60lb is more than enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.