a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Forage Rape for food plots?????

Forage Rape for food plots?????

Has anyone ever used Forage Rape in their food plots for deer? What did you think of it? I did a little checking on the availability of the seeds and they wanted to know if I wanted dwarf or giant variety of Rape.?!?!?!?

I mainly use a combination of Ladino, red, and yellow clover now but I'm putting in a new plot this year and want to try something else.

I used giant leaf rape a few years ago. It came up real nice, and stayed green and healthy for a long time. The deer did not seem real interested in it until late in the year, like december-january timeframe. This was in Illinois too. It was a beautiful plot, but I guess the deer prefered the corn and beans that were close by earlier in the season.

BTW, I am going with ladino and radish this year for plots. The ladino has worked pretty well in the past, and the local farmers in pike county tell me that the radishs will be the most popular with the deer.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

My brother-in-Law uses it and loves it. Easy to grow and the deer won't stay out of it.

I planted it two years ago in central Illinois and they never touched it not even in the late season after a few good freezes.

I have some mixed into one of my plots but it seems to go untouched

Rape is great after you get a couple frost cycles into, I rarely see deer using it earlier in the season.

I have had excellant luck with rape, but the deer will not start using it until a frost comes. Had an old timer tell me that once a frost hits it it becomes sweet. I don't know if he is right or not but they wont touch the stuff until after a frost.

Sounds like it might be good for late season.

When do you plant it?
    Do you have to mow it like clover?

Very good, really interesting info. You always have to wonder when one guy says the deer love something and another says they won't touch it. The sweet after a frost was intriguing. Radish???? Have alzheimers but don't recall ever thinking or hearing about it. Might try it. And if it doesn't work I know where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by OLDHOOTOWL
    Very good, really interesting info. You always have to wonder when one guy says the deer love something and another says they won't touch it. The sweet after a frost was intriguing. Radish???? Have alzheimers but don't recall ever thinking or hearing about it. Might try it. And if it doesn't work I know where you live.
    You know where I live? Who is this?

Hey, if your gonna be mad, now is the time to do it.....I got one arm in a sling.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

What does Rape look like, never have seen it? Big Country: One arm in a sling isn't enough, I like a dog to be good, and down if, I'm going to kick it.

it is awsome it work very well after the first hard frost. it becomes sweet to the deer after it gets frosted over real hard. but there wan't much left because they seemed to eat alot before the frost for some reason.

I have used dwarf essex rape. Grew well and did seem to draw deer better
    late in the year, although I also had kale and oats that seemed better late.
    Good Luck.

Frosty Rape

It only seemed to draw the deer's attention after several frosts for us. We seem to have better luck with forage peas.