a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Great Lakes Bowfishing Championship?

Question Great Lakes Bowfishing Championship?

Any one ever shoot this 2 day event in caseville, MI?

Thinking about competing, but am wondering about some things.

info

I haven't shot in this yet but heard its very good. There is a post on archery world that has an e-mail address for questions. They had a website at one time but I couldn't get on it whaen I checked.

GLBC Tournament

Been going there since 1993...Hit me with your questions.

We have already registered, I am very excited! Here's my questions...

1) I see that some past winners caught around 4400 pounds in 2 days. How can any small boat handle that load? Do you have to weigh in at the end of the day, or can you weigh in throughout the day?

2) How many arrows would be a safe bet to bring? I have never shot in a tournament, just leisurely around the house.

3) We paid for the accommodation package, was this a mistake, or was it worth the $80.00/ person?

That's all I have right now, but I have no idea what I'm in store for, so any advice or tips would be great.

Thanks,
    Ben

1. The weigh in is at the end of the day.... I'll withhold comment on the big #'s like 4400lbs....look at the score board after the first day and see who the leaders are..then look at the people they are hanging around with (team #'s)and you will be shocked to see all of the leaders buddies are not shooting very many fish at all The best we have done is 1800lbs and we were in fish all day - both days.

2.I take a dozen arrows. One piece of advice...use Warhead tips..the rocks on the bottom will kill any other head quick. Another thing we do is insert a fiberglass arrow inside a XX75 or XX78 and epoxy it in and then cable it. We use .8o weedwacker line and cable ferruls to make the rigs and they are tuff as crap too. The reason we use the XX75 or XX78's is the fact they have the push in Uni nock which is way easier to replace in the field...push it in and your done. You will blow nocks off quite frequently if they are the glue in type

3.The accomodations package is ok...we either motel it or stay at the
    campground.

Couple of tips...hit the bay first thing in the morning, the carp usually head back out to open water by 10-10:30am. Walk the ditches after 10:30am
    If you have a boat head out to some of the islands. Watch your weight in the boat too...you can't go too fast with a 1000lbs of fish in a boat. Get about 50ft of small diameter rope and a small jug and make a long stringer in case you are wading.Bring a small club too, those big ones get feisty.

With that said its a great time even though there is a ton of cheating but they usually catch a few. I doubt I'll be up this year due to scheduling conflict but have fun and let me know how you did. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me a note.

Thanks, I am getting very excited about it. We paid for the accomidation package, but I may try to get refunded, and just get a room. I like to sleep before hunting/ fishing all day, and 6 other people in a bunk house may cause problems.

Thanks for all the advice,

Ben

Muskiehunter covered it pretty well. Here are a few more things to keep in mind:

1- Motor SLOW in the bay unless you want your lower end ripped off. Volkswagon sized boulders and gravel beds have a habit of popping up where you least expect them.

2- Like Muskiehunter, we shoot alum/fiberglass. The clear water allows for some pretty deep shots, so the extra weight helps. We used to use the .080 weed eater line, but now all I use is the AMS safety slides. Both work very well.

3- Wading is very popular. I carry a fanny pack equipped with a couple of steel D-loops to hook stringers to, extra stringers, a billy club, multi-tool, and extra super nocks. Waders work well in the morning when it's cool, but more often than not, I'm out there in a pair of shorts and sandals (a pair that will not pull off in the muck).

I'll attach a picture to prove that it's possible to fit more than 1000 pounds in a 1648. Good luck!!!

Brian Gilson- Team #56
    Attached Images Attached Images

You might want to keep your acc. package cause it might be hard to find A hotel room for that weekend! Its not to bad sleeping in the cabins if you have ear plugs.

It is possable to shoot 4000 plus pounds in two days but you have to be in the fish all day both days and willing to work your but off but I will say that some people don't play fair!

Just have fun cause thats what its all about.

we neded up cancelling the accomidation package, got a room with no problems.

Thanks,
    Ben

this is my first year. but it sounds like a blast.
    we will be going with some veterans.
    team number 1 retiered this year so we got some of there equiptment.
    john
    HESPERIA SPORT SHOP
    hoyt usa
    bohning
    OCEANA ARCHERS