Thread: where do turkeys go in the rain or wind?

where do turkeys go in the rain or wind?

do turkeys have more of a tendency to hang in the woods during the rain? or do they prefer to be out in open fields more? also, what about the wind? i guess my personal experience is that they stay in the woods, but then come out onto the fields when it is done raining.. but that is with very limited observation. any help or other personal observations are appreciated. thanks.

nick

I don't know about when it's raining but we have a lot of luck locating birds after a nice rain.... I don't think they like walking in thicker stuff or taller grass when it's really wet.... We drive around the old logging roads and two tracks and usually find a good number of birds traveling on these type of paths...

In the rain, look for open areas such as fields,clearings, logging roads and what not. The rain makes it harder to see and hear in the dense woods so they prefer to be in clearings where they can use their eyes to their max.

As for when it's windy, look in to creek bottoms, side hills, draws, pine groves, anything of that nature that can be used to block the wind.

The two turkeys next door were out on the patio drinking beer and grilling burgers yesterday. Anyway, I usually see them in clearings and always wonder why. PAB gave a viable explaination for why.

thanks for the replies guys.

Good thread and good replies. I have limited experience hunting turkey and often wondered this myself.
    Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens.