a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: No till food plots with acidic soil, is it possible?

No till food plots with acidic soil, is it possible?

I live here in NJ and have access to a small field and was interested in a no till seed mixture for a deer plot. The soil can not feasible be ammended so I would need something that was drought tolerant, able to do well in an acidic soil. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Thats a tough one. are you sure you don't have access to it so you can at least scratch the surface up with a harrow?

Imperial no-plow is about all i can think of. Have not used it. have used their other products with great results though. The acidic soils is whats going to hurt. Might wanna try to at least hand spread( with a whirly gig seed spreader) pellitized lime in the area closest to your stand.
    Last edited by Marvin; April 11th, 2006 at 03:25 PM.

I could scratch the surface by means of hand tools, but I cannot start to alter the soil by way of lime. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by bellasm
    I could scratch the surface by means of hand tools, but I cannot start to alter the soil by way of lime. Any suggestions?
    Then I would stick with the Whitetail extreme blend and see what you get. Can i ask why you cannot use lime? I would pull a soil test to see what you really have or you could be seriously wasting your time.
    Last edited by Marvin; April 11th, 2006 at 03:34 PM.

never used a no till mixture, but I would try clover, seed is small and should work. It would have been best to plant after snow but if you plant before a rain you should see some results. Any large seed plants probably will not work. I would expect great results from doing this but better than nothing. Put out more per acre, because alot of it will not take root.

Quote Originally Posted by bellasm
    Why can't you use Lime?? All you need to do is buy 5 or so 40lb bags of pelletized lime and simply get yourself a hand spreader and away you go!!!! You don't need any heavy equipment to spread pelletized lime....
    '14 Mathews Chill X 70lb 75% mods - 311.7 fps @ 29" 385gr Hexx
    ArcheryShack Strings

How acidic is it?

I have a couple of food plots that I have to hike into and have made them entirely with hand tools. You need to have bare soil for good seed to soil contact in order for the seed to germinate. If the PH is below 6.5 you can still get clover to grow but will need a bit more fertilizer.You could plant MossyOak's Maximum, it will do ok in acidic soil.
    I used a backpack and carried in a 50# bag of fertilizer(about a half mile) in; hard work but the plot really took off. I am lucky enough to have a neutral PH soil so I didn't need lime. I planted MossyOak's Premium Perenial and each spring over seed with the Maximum, this will be the fourth season for two plots.

why no lime?

I have done it before in a pretty shaded area in the middle of the timber. I used a steel rake, sprayed with round up, waited a week, added lime, waited a week, and then raked in Imperial No-plow. It was my first attempt so I didn't know what to expect but it worked great!
    ArcheryTalk is a Gun Free Zone. Check out www.GunTalkWorld.com for gun related items.
    Sending payment via PayPal Gift option? Bad idea

Acidic Soil

Throw the rye ( not Rye grass) down $ 7.00 a bushel / 75 Lbs. an Acre. Good way to get some REAL GREEN plots going when the soil isn't perfect. The deer used my fall (8/1/05) planted Rye as much if not more than my oats and definitely more than my Bio. Full Draw.

Hi Dave - I am on a lease with mostly pine trees on it. Honeysuckle grows wild on the many open areas found there. It is one of the deers favorite foods and it grows well on acidic soils. Don't know where you might find the seeds ( internet? ) but this might work if you do not already have lots of honeysuckle vines around. Other than that, good luck on finding something that grows well on that sandy, acid NJ soil. Carson